Walbernize ?

Any one use this product ?

Pros and cons ?

Old 07-03-2013, 07:44 AM   #2
NA

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude , WNY
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard....

It works, easy to apply, but in my experience doesn't last very long.

I've used Griot's Paint Sealer with very good results. One application at Spring get-ready will do it for the Season. 16oz will last 3-4 applications.

Always use microfiber for polishing/washing, foam pads work great for application.

Great tool for washing the Airstream.

Bob

Old 07-03-2013, 07:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
I put it on my 27FB Safari in May. Then spent most of June camping. Washed the trailer when I returned home. Looking outside at my trailer in the rain today the surface is still beading up nicely.

It goes on very easy and polishes out much easier than most paste or liquid waxes. It is a thin liquid and can be put in a spray bottle for application. I find it also removes bug splats easily with a little elbow grease when applying the product. When I washed the trailer after returning from my June trip the bug splats came off easily with almost no rubbing.

It only took me 2 hours to apply and rub out on my 27' trailer. I'll see how it holds up over the summer. I've heard it doesn't last long. Time will tell.
TAC FL-55 | WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:13 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
Nellysford , Virginia
I've used both, and will stick with Robert's suggestion. The Griot's just seem to "glow" better when done and holds up longer than Walbernize. I've gone to using Griot's Paint Sealer on my truck and cars, too!
TAC VA-18 | WBCCI 1927 - Unit 149 | AIR 53869
Canopener Site #144
http://www.linkedin.com/in/gheuer
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:38 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Walbernize seems to be the traditional polish, I like the Glare polish such as sold at the Airstream store. They claim a glass component that shields UV light.

https://store.airstream.com/product_...roducts_id=441

Annually I use it on the entire surface, and the leading surfaces and window guards quarterly. Lasts a long time, bugs come off easier.

As a protection against filiform corrosion (or to treat it) I dab all the rivets and wipe the cut aluminum edges and external fittings with CorrosionX quarterly.

doug k
Old 07-12-2013, 07:44 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Walbernize seems to be the traditional polish, I like the Glare polish such as sold at the Airstream store. They claim a glass component that shields UV light.

https://store.airstream.com/product_...roducts_id=441

Annually I use it on the entire surface, and the leading surfaces and window guards quarterly. Lasts a long time, bugs come off easier.

As a protection against filiform corrosion (or to treat it) I dab all the rivets and wipe the cut aluminum edges and external fittings with CorrosionX quarterly.

doug k
Doug, do you use the red bottle liquid Corrosion X, or do you use the thicker stuff in the blue/green spray can--Corrosion X. HD?
Old 07-13-2013, 07:16 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Howard, I use the CorrosionX spray cans, spray it on the fittings, let it sit a while, and wipe up the runs. On the rivets you could dab it on or spray it on and wipe it up; just soak them good. It's a battle if you're hanging out at the coastal beaches because of the salt in the air.

I have used the regular CorrosionX, my last order was for the Aviation variety because of the similar rivets and aluminum.

There is another good product Boeshield T9 that leaves a paraffin wax protective coat. It is a bitch to get off the shell after it dries and looks brown around the rivet edges, so I use it only under the shell to protect the steel parts, axles, stabilizers and such. Also is a good bicycle chain lube.

doug k
Old 07-13-2013, 07:26 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Cream Ridge , New Jersey
I just walbernized the "rolling jellybean". Took me two days, I wasn't in any hurry. Don't get it on the stainless steel stone guards. It came out all streaky and ugly looking. Took me two hours to get it off one side. It goes on easy and comes off the same way. I can't imagine anything that is that easy to apply lasting very long. Time will tell
Old 07-13-2013, 08:16 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Howard, I use the CorrosionX spray cans, spray it on the fittings, let it sit a while, and wipe up the runs. On the rivets you could dab it on or spray it on and wipe it up; just soak them good. It's a battle if you're hanging out at the coastal beaches because of the salt in the air.

I have used the regular CorrosionX, my last order was for the Aviation variety because of the similar rivets and aluminum.

There is another good product Boeshield T9 that leaves a paraffin wax protective coat. It is a bitch to get off the shell after it dries and looks brown around the rivet edges, so I use it only under the shell to protect the steel parts, axles, stabilizers and such. Also is a good bicycle chain lube.

doug k
Thanks Doug. Finished repairs around running lights, skin edges and a few rivets yesterday. Could not get repaired outer shell to match factory clear coated aluminum. Tried several silver paints, some too shiny, some dull. Ended up just clear coat over bare sanded areas. It shows darker but it is repaired and sealed. Applying Corrosion X today.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:36 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
I Walbernize once a year. I use an orbital polisher to apply with cotton pads, and remove with a sheepskin pad. Takes very little - a bottle will last me 5-6 applications on my 19'. Results are good.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:01 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Guys,

I'm on my second AS; my first was a 2008 25' Safari and the second is a 2010 28' Flying Cloud. I made only 2 applications of Walbernize on the Safari to decide it was too much work. Then I discovered "No Wet" No-Wet Waterless Car Wash and Waterless Car Care Products

It goes on easy and lasts at least twice as long as the Walbernize! Although they say that you can use it without washing I do wash first so as not to risk scratching the aluminum clear coat. It also great for my TV!

Since buying an AS I've learned a few things about operating and maintaining them mostly the hard way. Like not supervising a new guy to wash my trailer who put his knee dents on my end caps ($4000), dreaded black tank pyramid, slinky hoses coming apart in a middle of a black dump etc.

I highly recommend 3r ODORCON products for fresh water, grey tank and black tank treatment.

3R ODOR-CON / PUROGENE SALES

The Sewer Solution is a quick and clean way of handling your waste tank dumping.

Sewer Solution

Thetford "Aqua Clean" is one of the best all round bath and kitchen cleaning solution.

Aqua-Clean

Happy Streaming!

WoundedWarriorsFamilySupport.Org
http://www.highfivetour.com/
Snaken49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:46 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
Nellysford , Virginia
[QUOTE="Snaken49;1326230"]Guys,

I'm on my second AS; my first was a 2008 25' Safari and the second is a 2010 28' Flying Cloud. I made only 2 applications of Walbernize on the Safari to decide it was too much work. Then I discovered "No Wet" No-Wet Waterless Car Wash and Waterless Car Care Products

It goes on easy and lasts at least twice as long as the Walbernize! Although they say that you can use it without washing I do wash first so as not to risk scratching the aluminum clear coat. It also great for my TV!

/QUOTE]

I, too, learned about no wet from a fellow Airstreamer. I have used it several times, both on my truck and on my airstream.
It is easy to use, and does a great job. What I have found, however, is that it does not hold up as long as the Griot's paint sealer.
TAC VA-18 | WBCCI 1927 - Unit 149 | AIR 53869
Canopener Site #144
http://www.linkedin.com/in/gheuer
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 03:49 PM   #13
NA

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude , WNY
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Palmieri View Post
I just walbernized the "rolling jellybean". Took me two days, I wasn't in any hurry. Don't get it on the stainless steel stone guards. It came out all streaky and ugly looking. Took me two hours to get it off one side. It goes on easy and comes off the same way. I can't imagine anything that is that easy to apply lasting very long. Time will tell
WD40 works great on the stainless segment protectors...

Bob
Old 07-28-2013, 03:44 PM   #14
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
It works, easy to apply, but in my experience doesn't last very long.

I've used Griot's Paint Sealer with very good results. One application at Spring get-ready will do it for the Season. 16oz will last 3-4 applications.

Always use microfiber for polishing/washing, foam pads work great for application.

Great tool for washing the Airstream.

Bob
Robert, thanks for the heads up on Griot's Paint Sealer. I struggled every night last week to remove the bugs and tar following a couple of lengthy trips. I used Turtle Bug and Tar remover, dish soap and water, and Walbernize. The Walbernize worked well, but I found that the Girot's really worked well, particularly on the front segment protectors. The appearance even improved over time and the bugs that I caught this weekend, wiped off very easily. Whole Airstream looks like new. Again, thanks for sharing. Jim