Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2010, 02:45 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Valley Center , California
Vinyl Trim Tape Source

Hi all,
Sorry to post a new thread, but I really could not find what I’m looking for.

I’ve found plenty of information on the forum about removing my vinyl tape trim. I’ll probably try the 3M “eraser wheel” route, followed by paint stripper to remove the residue.

Our trailer is now polished but I’m hesitant about trying to polish the area under the existing tape. I’m sure that we’ll be left with a shadow, or “ghost stripes.” I’d rather replace the existing trim tape with something that looks close enough. Please note that I’m not referring to the rub rail inserts. I’ve already bought those from Andy at Inland RV and they look rather sporty.

What I’m looking for is a good source for vinyl trim tape. I’ve checked the obvious Airstream websites and come up empty. I know I’ll probably never find the original “SOVERIGN” letters and tape. If I found some suitable vinyl, I could just cover the “SOVERIGN” area by extending a blue stripe past that spot.

I did check with a local sign guy who looked at the trailer and he said that I could have him make a complete new set of decals (but I don’t know yet how much that would cost, if I can even afford it.)

Please excuse the yucky photo prior to polishing. This shows Removall 220 at work on our old clearcoat. The Removall didn’t even touch the blue vinyl - just cleaned it up a bit.

Cheers,
Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1607.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	676.6 KB
ID:	101796  
BogieGolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 04:13 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Have you thought about getting an Excella decal? They are still available from Airstream dealers.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:36 PM   #3
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Jackson Center (Airstream factory) has many different blue decals in stock in their Wally Byam Store.

Perhaps this is where the dealers are getting them from.

If you local dealer can't help you, it might be worthwhile to contact the factory. The store is adacent the lobby, the receptionist should be able to direct you to the right person...