Old 07-08-2008, 05:12 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
vinyl trim solution

I've been brainstorming and looking for weeks now, trying to find something that would work for the rub rail vinyl strip on the Argosy. I used a roll of vinyl trim that I bought at an RV supply for the belly rail, had to cut it down but it worked just fine. But nowhere could I find any wider stuff for the bottom, had to be 1 1/8" wide--and then, as I was working in the garden, I happened to glance at the vinyl edging strip around the lawn, and the light bulb went off. $12 later for a strip of the lightweight stuff at Walmart, and about 45 minutes to cut it and to drill out the rivets that hold it at the ends, and pop the strips in there, put the end clips back, and yahoo! I just love it when an idea works out and I can get by without spending a lot of money on my little aluminum money pit!

"To know is nothing at all. To imagine, is everything." --Albert Einstein

http://chaosinature.blogspot.com/
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
What a great idea!

Those light bulb moments are so rewarding when a serendiptous plan comes together like your's. Especially when it saves money.

• • • Aluminocentricity • • •
Sugarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isadora View Post
I've been brainstorming and looking for weeks now, trying to find something that would work for the rub rail vinyl strip on the Argosy. I used a roll of vinyl trim that I bought at an RV supply for the belly rail, had to cut it down but it worked just fine. But nowhere could I find any wider stuff for the bottom, had to be 1 1/8" wide--and then, as I was working in the garden, I happened to glance at the vinyl edging strip around the lawn, and the light bulb went off. $12 later for a strip of the lightweight stuff at Walmart, and about 45 minutes to cut it and to drill out the rivets that hold it at the ends, and pop the strips in there, put the end clips back, and yahoo! I just love it when an idea works out and I can get by without spending a lot of money on my little aluminum money pit!
There are 3 sizes of orange insert.

We have them all in stock.
Andy
Old 07-08-2008, 06:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post

Andy

I appreciate that you do, but not for less than $10 (I only used half the roll, I still have some to use in my yard!) and black was our first choice anyway. Saving money (so we have more to spend on fuel) was our first priority here.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:20 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Mont-Laurier , Qu้bec
Could you explain further?

Quote:
... I happened to glance at the vinyl edging strip around the lawn...
Could you tell me (and others perhaps?) what this is exactly that you found at Walmart? I have replaced twice the same orange strip on my Argosy (bottom one) with what I found at the Airstream dealer and it doesn't last long... and the color changes with time and with exposure to sunlight. Yes, it is costly and I would like to understand exactly what this is that you have found. Also... what is the color of this strip that you bought?
Old 07-08-2008, 06:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
I had to do some repair work / machining (thanks blgrn) on the door trim moulding. After riveting it back on, I went to find the hard black heavy vinyl? insert but to no avail. I checked every bin, drawer, cabinet and storage compartment - could not locate it. I grabbed some black Gorilla tape, tore a width down the middle and stuck it on. It looks great. I repaired my kid's ski pants with it and it has held up the entire race training season. On the way home got a flat and pulled out the torque wrench which is in a nice plastic box. The trim was stuck to the side of the box. I know at one time I had completely emptied the comparetment searching for the trim. Right now I'm in no hurry to remove the Gorilla tape.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 07:09 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post

Andy

Andy,

Two years ago I purchased the narrow orange beltline insert from your company. I was told that the rubrail insert I needed was not available at that time but you had the wider insert that I purchased and made work. I only needed the rubrail insert from behind the curbside wheels around the back to the battery access door on the other side. I was lucky to find a length of nos rubrail insert in the trailer when I bought it and it was enough to do the rest.

The nos stock has retained its brilliant orange color but the stock I purchased from Inland RV faded to almost yellow in just a matter of months. Has any improvement been made to the color retention of the orange vinyl? If so I might give it another try. Roger
Old 07-08-2008, 07:57 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Had the same trouble with my narrow vinyl insert on the Argosy. The thick one is still orange the thin one is yellow. Bought new stuff from Airstream directly, but haven't put it on yet. Hung it outside on the patio for a year to be sure it would shrink as much as it wanted before inserting it. Both sizes are the same color, but it was not in the sun. Doesn't make much sense that one stays orange and one doesn't when the only difference should be the size. Anyone else have an answer on the new stuff retaining its color?
Old 07-08-2008, 09:38 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by adore View Post
Could you tell me (and others perhaps?) what this is exactly that you found at Walmart? I have replaced twice the same orange strip on my Argosy (bottom one) with what I found at the Airstream dealer and it doesn't last long... and the color changes with time and with exposure to sunlight. Yes, it is costly and I would like to understand exactly what this is that you have found. Also... what is the color of this strip that you bought?
It's landscape edging, that you put around your flower bed edging or lawn edging, about 4 inches wide with a round top. You normally put it in the ground so you can mow up to the edge and it keeps the grass out of your flower beds. There are several grades of it, from heavy to lightweight. I got the lightweight stuff which was on sale $11.99 for 50 feet of it, as I thought the lightweight would fit in the slots on the rub rail channel, and it is perfect. I cut it with a pair of heavy scissors and it cuts easily but is stiff enough that it is not going to pop out of the channel. The hard part was measuring it and getting it straight when I cut it, but I used a ruler and marked it with a yellow grease pencil on the backside and got a straight line to cut. I think it was 1-1/8 inch but you would probably have to measure your own and cut a short sample piece to fit so you know exactly. It only comes in black but that was ok for me. You can't slide it into the channel, but it pops right in if you squeeze it and it isn't going to come out. It really looks great, just like the stuff I got for the beltline channel. You really can't tell the difference to look at it.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:10 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Mont-Laurier , Qu้bec
Do you mean like this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBolton View Post
Andy,

Two years ago I purchased the narrow orange beltline insert from your company. I was told that the rubrail insert I needed was not available at that time but you had the wider insert that I purchased and made work. I only needed the rubrail insert from behind the curbside wheels around the back to the battery access door on the other side. I was lucky to find a length of nos rubrail insert in the trailer when I bought it and it was enough to do the rest.

The nos stock has retained its brilliant orange color but the stock I purchased from Inland RV faded to almost yellow in just a matter of months. Has any improvement been made to the color retention of the orange vinyl? If so I might give it another try. Roger
Only one section has turned almost to yellow. All sections were installed at the same time, but... I wondered why one section had turned to almost yellow while the other ones were still orange. You may have found an explanation for my problem. I believe this one section (the yellow one) was from a left over that I purchased a couple years before and didn't last AT ALL. The vinyl insert broke up in parts after one or two winters, I believe, and I had to redo the job. I am sure I still have a little roll left over from my second purchase. I will take out this faded section and try the newer trim that seems to have kept (so far) its original color.

I have attached a photo showing the difference. The installation for the whole trim was made in one shot. One section turned yellow, as mentioned above and as mentioned by an other member.
Attached Images

Old 07-09-2008, 06:34 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
Exactly!

The left over that I have kept boxed is still orange. I am sure that it is the exposure to light that causes it to fade. Mine has only turned yellow. It has not become brittle yet.

When I purchase my Argosy - about 3 years ago, the original inserts had become brittle and cracked. There was no section longer than a couple of inches. I removed it by running a flat blade screwdriver behind it and it just disintegrated. But it was all still the original orange color.

I have thought about covering this faded product with automotive striping tape. I'm not sure if it will adhere well enough to the vinyl, plus I am concerned about the tape not shrinking and expanding at the same rate as the vinyl insert. Has anyone tried this?

The landscaping edging is a great idea. Black may even look better than orange or blue on these Argosys. Roger
Old 07-30-2008, 09:53 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
Quote:
finally! I have pictures to post, if I can remember how to do this!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3685.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	216.9 KB
ID:	64740   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3684.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	64741  

Old 07-30-2008, 10:27 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Wow, that looks sharp!

• • • Aluminocentricity • • •
Sugarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 12:17 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Sweet!

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote