Old 07-26-2004, 04:16 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
vinyl blue trim strip

We have a 1980 excella with blue vinyl trim strip and it's cracking from age...we'd like to replace it and well figure someone out there has already done this successfully and could make our life easier by giving us a couple of hints on what to do....and what not to do....and also where the best place to buy the trim...we have some but not nearly enough to do the entire trailer....

also we have discovered that the floor next to the toilet in the rear of the trailer is rotten....probably from an existing leak or something that was there and is now just being discovered....wouldn't have known it was there but took a blunt stick and came down hard on the floor...and there it was...this gapping if anyone has had this sure many of you....and the most sensible was to repair it....and what other problems should we look for while we're in husband is handy but admittedly this was our first any help will be taken right to the top!

thanks for all the good advice i find here...michelle

t&m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 04:26 PM   #2
1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
Before doing anything to the floor, go to the top of this page and click on "Search." Do a search on "repair or relacement of floor." It isn't just a matter of scabbing on a piece of plywood. You will see the correct way it should be done. Other members withmore experience will also help you even though all of this has been covered elsewhere many times. As to the blue trim, check with any airstream dealer.GStephens

GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 06:26 PM   #3
HI if you go on the internet under Inland Rv you will find the blue plastic strip in their parts list
bthayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 04:56 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member
thanks for the info...has anyone tried a hair dryer or isn't it hot enough??? will try the rv dealer....and will keep ya posted as to my progress...michelle
t&m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 11:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 12:08 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Battle Ground , Washington
Originally Posted by Tinsel Loaf
I bought from Inland RV. They looked like the orginial and easy to replace. You will need a drill and a rivet gun.
Hippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 10:21 AM   #7
Obsessed with Moonunit
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
If you want to save some money on the blue vinyl insert try JD Saunders and talk to David Saunders. Tell him I sent you. He is a really nice guy. The #1-800-541-6439. It is officially called the beltline at the middle of your trailer and the rubrail toward the bottom. The rubrail is wider than the beltline. The insert basically just pops in (I did it with my fingernails, my husband used a screwdriver) and then you rivet at the ends to hold it in place. There is a picture of me on about page 5 of the Rocky Mt. Rally postings putting in our insert. Good luck.

Leigh (IB Aluminated)

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote