Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Clearcoat, Exterior Paint & Trim
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-10-2011, 04:27 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Un-American or just a factory screw-up?

OK, I’ll be the first to say, I know Airstream is an “All American Company” with workers that are proud of the good-ole USA. But what happened with my trailer?

As part of getting ready for the Rt. 11 Caravan next week, I felt it was time to polish, clean and repaint the badges on the 1966 Overlander International. Badges were taken off, clean and painted. Now understand, I’ve owned this trailer for about 8 years and never notice what I did today when I was putting the badges back on the trailer. I didn’t even notice it when I was taking the badges off! I guess nice and shiny things do stand out more.

I know they came off this way because that's the only way the holes will line up.

And that is:

On the drivers side the International Flag blue field is on the “left” side.

On the passengers side the International Flag blue field is on the “right” side.

I was always taught as a young child when hanging a flag the blue field is “always” to the left side.

Being the trailer is a 1966 trailer with flags on it during a time in ours country’s history that lets just say was “interesting” and people were doing a bunch of things (if you know what I mean) and the anti-war protest, etc… going on, is it possible that a worker at the factory was making a statement? Is it just a screw-up? Were they all built like that?

Interesting minds want to know?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flag-left.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	132143   Click image for larger version

Name:	flag-right.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	132144  

Old 06-10-2011, 04:40 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Paul, from what I remember of my flag etiquette, the blue portion should face the front of the vehicle, as it represents the part that would normally be attached to a flagpole.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
Closet Communist is my bet.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Paul, from what I remember of my flag etiquette, the blue portion should face the front of the vehicle, as it represents the part that would normally be attached to a flagpole.
Yep. I agree.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, first thing is that I would not consider that an American flag, but a facsimile. Next I would imagine that the two flags were on flag poles and that in most cases your trailer would be going forward. Therefore, with the flags flying in the wind, the blue would be to the front and followed by the red and white stripes. Or, for example, put a flag pole on your tongue jack, with an American flag on it; And drive down the road. You will notice that the blue would be in the front on both sides. I say it's correct. [my opinion]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:46 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
1966 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Southern , Wisconsin
Blue forward...walk around a flagpole when it's flying in the breeze...which side is correct?
Old 06-10-2011, 04:52 PM   #7
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quoted from here:
National Flag Foundation

Quote:
These citations would lead us to believe that a flag decal or painting on a vehicle or a flag patch should always have the union of the flag to the viewer's left. This works well when looking at the left side of the vehicle or person. When looking at the right side however, if the union is to the viewer's left, it appears as though the flag is flying backwards when the vehicle or person is in motion. It would also place the flag in a position of being in retreat as the vehicle or person moves forward.

To alleviate this problem, the International Civil Aviation organization decreed that flags painted on aircraft must face the direction of the flight, so as to be aerodynamically and aesthetically correct. We also recommend that flags or flag decals on vehicles and flag patches on uniforms should be so oriented.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:00 PM   #8
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
- east coastal area - , Florida
since there are no stars and the wrong number of stripes this is pretty much a moot point re: American Flag Etiquette.

more to the point - would have looked nicer if it was a full Stars and Stripes.
[CENTER][I]
az-streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:08 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Richard,

THANKS, Thanks, thanks!!!

So my trailer flag is "correct".

Still looks funny to me, though I understand. My wife said the same about the "flying in the wind part".

It's good to know that somebody was not "partaking" in the parking lot during lunch, talking bad about the war machine and "The Man" feeling it was a way to make a statement.

Can't wait to get the blue stripes on next week and paint the "AIRSTREAM" lettering over the weekend.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:10 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Livingston , Texas
Just looked it up from: The US Flag Code (4 US Code 1)
Section 7 (i)
"When displayed either horizontally or vertically against a wall, the union (Blue field) should be uppermost and to the flag's own right, that is, to the observer's left."

It does not state if it is a symbol or representation of a flag.

But I've seen the flag in the "reverse" on military planes and uniforms.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:29 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Did Airstream even put those flags on?

The other thing that I wonder is whether those "flags" are from the factory, or were they added by a previous owner? I don't recall seeing facsimile US flags accompanying the "International" script before.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:00 PM   #12
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Obviously they either A) ran out of the other shape of flag or B) they had a cheap penny pinching bean counter that refused to pay to have the flags made in the two required forms. I am also sure that no one ever gave it any thought back in 1966.

Being Airstream either scenario is quite feasible, however I would vote for B..

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:16 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
I think it's like a military uniform, where the flags are reversed from shoulder to shoulder. Like the other poster said, it's supposed to look like you're moving forward, and the star field blue part is always attached to the pole and the stripes trail behind. It's correct.

Just put a pirate flag on it....the skull and cross bones look the same regardless of left or right
Old 06-10-2011, 07:42 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden View Post
I think it's like a military uniform, where the flags are reversed from shoulder to shoulder. Like the other poster said, it's supposed to look like you're moving forward, and the star field blue part is always attached to the pole and the stripes trail behind. It's correct.
I'm subscribing to this interpretation.

Noticing your reflection in each picture -- your left elbow is raised higher than the right in each image -- ending up at opposite ends of the flag in each case. What's going on wid dat!

In other words ... I'm confused why the first words in this thread title are 'Un-American.' Sumpin' rabble-rousing dat dere? Without any actual flag image, I'd classify this as "bunting." Not exactly clear either - is the red-white striped area trailing in each. If it follows the military/police standard of trailing edge aft, shouldn't be a problem. Being bunting, wouldn't matter much either way. I call a balk...

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote