Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Clearcoat, Exterior Paint & Trim
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-08-2012, 02:33 PM   #1
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Tongue / frame painting

I was cleaning up the tongue of my trailer today. I removed a bracket for the sway control because I will be installing the Anderson hitch. I didn't use it anyhow. I welded the holes closed and ground them and cleaned up the rest of the tongue / frame to prepare for paint. I got paint mixed and will do that in the next few days. I did prime it today.

BUT, I was thinking ahead to the next time this need doing I just may do it with a bed liner paint. Do the tongue and the tool box ( inside / outside ) with the tinted bed liner. I think that will be a super durable finish that will outlast any regular painting many times over.

Has anyone else done this, is there any reason not to ??????

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
This idea has some merit. What kind of bedliner do you think that you would use for this project?

My son made some welded running boards for his 2002 Duramax Sierra and had them coated at the same time the bed was coated by a Rhino Liner dealer. It's worked well for eleven years.

Steve
Steve Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:30 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
+1 on truck bed liner ...also available in spray cans for small projects like the WD hitch parts. It is holding up well on my load bars.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:51 PM   #4
K&GLittle

1966 30' Sovereign
2015 27' FB International
Paola , Kansas
Tongue Overhaul

Polar - I like the idea for durability over time...the lining texture is just so hard to keep clean, especially behind a tow vehicle. If you use it try and have it sprayed as smooth as possible. I know truck bed liners are intentionally "sprayed rough" to prevent slippage. I just finished the tongue on my '66 Overlander last week (blasted, ground and overhauled everything in that general area...jack, breakaway sw, spare wheel and bracket, propane tanks, valves, reg...) I'm a PPG Deltron nut so that is usually my choice for refinishing. Post us some pic's of your project when done! I also did the center section of frame, axles, backing plates and drums. I still need to do the rear section and box area but I'm waiting for the bumper to get back from the bumper shop. It was tweaked more than I could straighten and grind. There will probably be more frame to paint when I fix my banana wraps up front. A few photos for those interested.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0370.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	283.7 KB
ID:	179558   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0403.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	263.1 KB
ID:	179559  

Name:	Center Frame, Axle and Drum paint Grey and Black.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	286.4 KB
ID:	179560  
klittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:03 PM   #5
DJW
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Lafayette , California
I'm going to try to tag on to this thread. I'd like to just touch up the tongue on my '04 A/S. I suppose I can get paint from A/S, but anyone have suggestions for local or better options?

Thanks,
Don
DJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Gray paint codes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJW View Post
I'm going to try to tag on to this thread. I'd like to just touch up the tongue on my '04 A/S. I suppose I can get paint from A/S, but anyone have suggestions for local or better options?

Thanks,
Don
Don, I took the battery compartment cover off my 2010 model to Sherwin Williams and had them match the gray paint color. They sell some decent paint for metal and the color matched remarkably well. A friend used it on an '07 and it matched his very well too. Don't know if the color is the same '04, but I have the paint codes from SW if you need them.

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:03 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
A couple years ago, I sprayed the inside of the pull out drawer at the rear of my Excella with bed liner paint purchased from NAPA. There were several places where the PO had put indoor/outdoor carpet and had rusted badly.
First I wire brushed it with an angle grinder, removed all the rust, the primed, and put 2 coats inside and out.
It worked great, and it was relatively easy to do.
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:52 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Frozen , Tundra
I went the extra mile and POR-15'd the entire frame after sandblasting stage, that move cost an extra $75 when I failed to topcoat within proper time, had to buy etching primer then top coat silver for tongue, but now my AS has a silver tongue ! I like the bedliner idea, probably cheaper to re coat than POoR 15 !
alumascoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:25 AM   #9
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Even with a brand new trailer you begin to see deterioration in the paint coating within a year. I bought a can of the matching pewter spray for touch-up purposes, but can see this "going down to the steel" in my not so near term future. Thanks for posting this as it gives me some background for the best way to tackle this.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:46 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphonse View Post
Don, I took the battery compartment cover off my 2010 model to Sherwin Williams and had them match the gray paint color. They sell some decent paint for metal and the color matched remarkably well. A friend used it on an '07 and it matched his very well too. Don't know if the color is the same '04, but I have the paint codes from SW if you need them.
Don,
As requested, here are the Sherwin Williams paint codes:

Name:	Tongue paint codes SW.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	306.2 KB
ID:	180013

Air #64439
Old 03-01-2013, 08:52 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphonse View Post
Al - Did you brush on the gray Sherwin Williams paint? If so, did you have any problem with brush streaks? How about a picture of the paint job?
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:57 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Chuck
I only did touch up where a previous owner had skinned the paint with a poor hitch installation. Perhaps our buddy Tom may post some photos of his which he brushed on.

I would recommend talking to Sherwin Williams and getting their recommendation on how to thin this stuff for spraying (my intension before I paint the whole tongue) and/or brushing. It is quite viscous and I believe needs some thinning for either application method.
Al

Air #64439
Old 03-04-2013, 02:28 PM   #13
DJW
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Lafayette , California
Hmmm, stopped by the local Sherman Williams store today. They are trying to be eco friendly, and California appropriate, so don't stock the oil based version of this paint. Though he was sympathetic, the fellow made the argument that the latex based paint, and it's flexibility, might be a better choice. He also told me about another store nearby that has the oil-based stuff, so I can go either way. Thoughts??

Don
Old 03-05-2013, 06:13 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJW View Post
Hmmm, stopped by the local Sherman Williams store today. They are trying to be eco friendly, and California appropriate, so don't stock the oil based version of this paint. Though he was sympathetic, the fellow made the argument that the latex based paint, and it's flexibility, might be a better choice. He also told me about another store nearby that has the oil-based stuff, so I can go either way. Thoughts??

Don
Don, my experience with latex paint for metal is quite poor and I personally avoid it like the plague.

So for me personally, I am only willing to use the oil based. I understand the need to be sensitive to solvent use and diposal and feel that I can manage that responsibly.

A thought for you - Sherwin Williams paint codes can be used elsewhere. Not sure if the OTHER store is a Sherwin Williams but if not, I am betting they will be able to use the codes and mix you a can that matches.

Air #64439
Old 03-05-2013, 08:28 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Go to a Sherwin Williams Automotive Products Store with the paint code information. Also, pull a panel off a nearby surface so that they can do a computer based color match if necessary.

Go to this web site Store Locator - Sherwin-Williams Automotive Finishes and type in Lafayette, CA as your location and a bunch of stores pop up.

Steve

I agree about avoiding laytex paint, BTW.
Steve Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:15 PM   #16
DJW
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Lafayette , California
Thanks Alan, and everybody else-

Went to another SW paint store this morning and they had the oil base, and mixed me up a custom quart. $24 for the quart.

And yes, as an "old guy" I really only trust oil paint for exterior, metal, etc.

Well, now the easy part is over. Now I have to do the prep work, which we all know is the most important, and the hardest/messiest part of the task.

Don
Old 03-17-2013, 07:40 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
I like Polarlyse idea of bed liner coating for the a-frame and non-wearing hitch parts. We did Alaska caravan last summer and my frame and wd bars are peppered -- too bad, I had powder coated the bars two years ago and they still looked primo, but not anymore. The bed liner coating in smooth version might hold up a lot better.

Last year I took bottles and batteries off, washed and sanded entire front frame and pieces. Used damp-proof primer and alkyd enamel, multi coats to refinish it. I used paint thinner to get good flow on the finish coats, sanded with progressively smoother grit for each re-coat on finish paint. Came out really fine.

Then a couple of hundred miles of gravel roads -- it doesn't look so great now. Then again, it really looks well utilized. Still, we'll refinish to protect. Just didn't think we'd be doing it again after only a year.

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote