Old 03-05-2013, 08:28 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Go to a Sherwin Williams Automotive Products Store with the paint code information. Also, pull a panel off a nearby surface so that they can do a computer based color match if necessary.

Go to this web site Store Locator - Sherwin-Williams Automotive Finishes and type in Lafayette, CA as your location and a bunch of stores pop up.

I agree about avoiding laytex paint, BTW.

Steve Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:15 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member
2004 25' Safari
Lafayette , California
Thanks Alan, and everybody else-

Went to another SW paint store this morning and they had the oil base, and mixed me up a custom quart. $24 for the quart.

And yes, as an "old guy" I really only trust oil paint for exterior, metal, etc.

Well, now the easy part is over. Now I have to do the prep work, which we all know is the most important, and the hardest/messiest part of the task.

DJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:40 PM   #17
2005 25' International CCD
Everywhere , North America
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
I like Polarlyse idea of bed liner coating for the a-frame and non-wearing hitch parts. We did Alaska caravan last summer and my frame and wd bars are peppered -- too bad, I had powder coated the bars two years ago and they still looked primo, but not anymore. The bed liner coating in smooth version might hold up a lot better.

Last year I took bottles and batteries off, washed and sanded entire front frame and pieces. Used damp-proof primer and alkyd enamel, multi coats to refinish it. I used paint thinner to get good flow on the finish coats, sanded with progressively smoother grit for each re-coat on finish paint. Came out really fine.

Then a couple of hundred miles of gravel roads -- it doesn't look so great now. Then again, it really looks well utilized. Still, we'll refinish to protect. Just didn't think we'd be doing it again after only a year.

Jim N5RTG & Deb N4RTG
WBCCI #4822 - SKP #094415
find us here
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote