Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2014, 06:05 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
2003 25' Classic
Anacortes , Washington
To clearcoat or not clearcoat

I've removed the clearcoat from the taillight housings and bumper on our 2006 19' Bambi. They look great. But now what to do? Should I have them clearcoated or should I just leave them the way they are and apply some sort of wax several times a year to keep them looking good? What do you think? My concern about clearcoating is that it might will fail again and I will have to go through the process of removing it again.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I did talk to Airstream technical service today and the guy I talked with did not have a strong recommendation either way.

George

ghatfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 04:50 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I believe the tail light housing corrosion repair was discussed in the huge corrosion on new Airstreams thread. As an owner of a late model Airstream, you may find that thread interesting reading. There is lots of tips on how to keep your Airstream looking good and mitigate the "white worm" filliform corrosion.

I believe folks like Corrosion X for protecting the aluminum on these late model Airstreams. I have stripped off the old clear coat on my vintage Airstreams and have to polish and wax yearly. But just addressing the tail light housings would be much easier. I read one Airstreamer was going through the expense of chrome plating the housings.

So for me, I would polish the housing until nice and reflective, and then keep them "waxed".

There is the huge thread I was referring to.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...ams-31743.html

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 09:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Try my post # 1895 on 5-1-2014 on the above thread "new Airstreams and corrosion".

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote