Old 06-19-2012, 09:16 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Taking care of New Clear Coat

As I covered in an earlier thread http://www.airforums.com/forums/f474...ing-87114.html I had my 1976 31' Sovereign polished and new Clear Coat applied at Oasis RV in Tucson. I am very pleased with the results and want to keep it looking good for years to come. I ordered 2 bottles Walbernize and I am now ready to apply the first coat. It seems simple enough but I have never used Walbernize since I stripped the old clear coat off my Airstream just after I got it in 2000.

So what are the best technique's to get the best long term results and what type of cloth do you use that won't damage the clear coat.

Thanks

Don

Old 06-19-2012, 09:21 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
As I covered in an earlier thread http://www.airforums.com/forums/f474...ing-87114.html I had my 1976 31' Sovereign polished and new Clear Coat applied at Oasis RV in Tucson. I am very pleased with the results and want to keep it looking good for years to come. I ordered 2 bottles Walbernize and I am now ready to apply the first coat. It seems simple enough but I have never used Walbernize since I stripped the old clear coat off my Airstream just after I got it in 2000.

So what are the best technique's to get the best long term results and what type of cloth do you use that won't damage the clear coat.

Thanks

Don
Rub it on the paint, let it dry, then wipe the surface with a soft cotton cloth, like "T" shirt material.

Clearcoat only lasts 5 to 6 years, but the walbernize helps to keep the paint protected from bugs, etc.

Andy

Old 06-19-2012, 10:44 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
Andy,

I store my Airstream in an insulated garage and have had it out only about one month each year and the clearcoat looks great. Your statement about clearcoat lasting only 5 to 6 years must be those that are out in the elements all year.

Dennis
Old 06-19-2012, 11:03 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstalzer View Post
Andy,

I store my Airstream in an insulated garage and have had it out only about one month each year and the clearcoat looks great. Your statement about clearcoat lasting only 5 to 6 years must be those that are out in the elements all year.

Dennis
Yes mine is stored in enclosed garage type storage. I travel on short trips for 2 or 3 days about 4 times a year and maybe one lone trip for 2 to 3 weeks a year. I would hope that the clear cost will last longer than 5 to 6 years with proper care.

Don
Old 06-19-2012, 11:30 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstalzer View Post
Andy,

Dennis
Dennis

Hundreds if not thousands of Airstream owners will attest to the life expectancy of the clear coat.

Once it is exposed to the sun, the "UV" sets the aging process in motion.

Keeping the coach indoors, certainly will help, along with the walbernize polish.

Andy
Old 06-19-2012, 11:33 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Don, beautiful trailer you have. May have seen it at Oasis this past winter.

There are two different types of clear coat in this discussion, the older method that was applied after the trailer was assembled at the Airstream factory. If the trailer was exposed to weather, it would deteriorate after some years.

The later and current method by Airstream is to have aluminum supplier Alcoa coat the panels before delivery to Airstream. Airstream would then drill and cut the panels and assemble them. This is a much more durable finish, but is subject to filiform corrosion wherever there are cut edges or drilled panels. Frequent treatment with anticorrosion products (Boeshield or CorrosionX, both sold at the Airstream store if that's a hint) has proven effective to protect them, especially if done immediately after purchase.

doug k
Old 06-26-2012, 11:58 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Walbernize new clear coat

I brought the Airstream home from storage and we are heading out on a short trip this weekend. This morning I got up early to try and beat the heat here in Houston and apply the first coat of Walbernize to the new clear coat. I can tell you this is not an easy job in the dead of summer with high humidity. Although I was in the shade I was dripping wet from the heat and climbing up and down a ladder to get the top curve section on the sides and domes. I am so glad that I had the top painted white while the trailer was being buffed and new clear coat applied at Oasis RV.

The actual process of applying the Walbernize and letting it dry to a haze and then wiping it off is very straight forward and produced good results. But it wore me out. I am glad that the next time I do this project it will be the fall and be a lot cooler.

Don