Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2009, 09:01 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 22
Pleasant Garden , North Carolina
Strippers!

Hey All,
Now that I have your undivided attn I need to know bout the best strippers ........not the female kind, the paint kind.Just trying to strip the paint of the ol arggy. Looking for most bestist and cheapist Thanks for any help!
critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:26 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
on the blogs this morning someone said that "removall" from Vinatage Trailer Supply works great, is green.

got my attention because it was titled "I couldn't be a stripper." I thought it might be an ugly member who wouldn't get tips...

Quote:
Originally Posted by critter View Post
Hey All,
Now that I have your undivided attn I need to know bout the best strippers ........not the female kind, the paint kind.Just trying to strip the paint of the ol arggy. Looking for most bestist and cheapist Thanks for any help!
Old 06-05-2009, 09:38 AM   #3
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
I am SO disappointed in the actual content of this thread after the title held SO much promise...

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:42 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
Kennewick , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to shermybaby
I second that!
shermybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:50 AM   #5
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Anything that comes in gel form and has lost of nasty un-pronounceable names.
If it says use in a well ventilated area you are one the right track. Aircraft grade strippers may be a good place to go. You can usually get those in 5 Gallon quantities.
Any type of mechanical stripping will likely buckle the sheet metal.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:09 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
I have a fair amount of current experience with this topic. I've been using Removall to strip a coat of white paint from the top of my 59 Overlander as well as a clear coat from the lower panels. It has worked very well on the paint.

I initially thought it was working quite well on the clear coat also, but after I thought I was finished and began polishing, it appears the two applications of Removall may not have removed the entire clear coat (either that or I just have not mastered the polishing technique yet). I'm still getting what others have described as the "blotchy sunburn" effect that leads me to believe some of the clear coat is still present.

I bought an initial one gallon supply of Removall from VTS and brushed it on. I soon found that using an airless sprayer to apply the product, followed by a pressure washer after letting it work overnight, is the most effective method. The brush on application uses much more of the product with less effect. I bought a 5 gallon supply of the Removall 210 (designed to be sprayed) from ICI paints for the same cost as VTS; about $210 (but no shippping charges). I've used about 3 gallons and have managed to remove 99% of the paint from the roof of the trailer and hopefully quite a bit of the clear coat also.

A friend of mine recently used a can of Klean Strip (a much heavier duty and more toxic stripper) to remove old WBCCI stickers and numbers and it was extremely effective. I'm planning to test that this weekend on some stuborn areas of paint that I was unable to hit with the Removall and the pressure washer. I'll also test that on a section of the clear coated pannels to see if it takes any more clear coat off.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:37 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 22
Hey Guys,
I went to the home supply store and found CROWN paint stripper for vertical surfaces and bought a gal to try.After 3 coats im starting to see some bare metal but not much.It looks like itll take sevral more coats.it seems to bubble the paint only where its relly thick.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:17 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
1969 21' Globetrotter
1953 25' Cruiser
Front Royal , Virginia
OK, I have been dealing with this for the past two weeks. I have stripped my Argosy (well hope to finish tomorrow.) I tried to order Removall but it did not get shipped in time. So I tried a bunch of stuff from Lowes, Home Depot and anywhere that sold something.
I hear Air craft stripper by KleenStrip works well. I could only find the fast and heavy duty KleenStrip gel. This worked OK but not great, I had to put a lot of coats on. This stuff was good near plastic it did not hurt it.
Next was Stripezze. TOTAL GARBAGE did not work well at all. You had to pore it on before anything would happen.
The best stuff that worked for me was Jasco Professional at Lowes $30 gallon. WARNING: get thick gloves and wear 2 layers. This stuff ate right though my heavy duty cotton lined chemical gloves. It will burn through and scar any plastic. I have to replace all the light covers now. (Because I am too impatient to tape anything) I also have burn marks all over my body from doing it in shorts and flip flops.

It took about 7 gallons to do the whole trailer. But it would have been less if I just started with the Jasco. I wish I had ordered the removall in the first place. It is enviro friendly and does not burn. I hear ICI Paints carried hydrostrip and it is the same thing as Removall.

HINT: buy a lot of plastic scrappers because the Jasco eats through them. I found the cheap ones for dry wall worked best and you could resharpen them with sand paper. Also lots of old towels or terry clothe towels. After you get the big paint off reapply the Jasco and use a towel to get off all the little specks and film that is left behind.

Good luck
nick6930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 07:53 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Staunton , Virginia
The Removall worked great on my clearcoat- I used the brush-on (thicker) type. The clearcoat just wrinkled up and almost fell off on its own. You have to brush it on very thick- about a gallon and a half took care of my 22' Safari. None of the citrus based ones ever seemed to do anything, and I called every manufacturer I could find to ask about their product. My issue was that the only spot I had to do the work was in the driveway of a pretty neighborhood- I didn't want to throw nasty chemicals all over the nice green grass, and I didn't like the idea of potential nervous systems damage through skin absorbtion. Every manufacturer said "oh, you can't just let the product fall on the ground (or for the water-soluble ones, wash onto the ground), you have to collect it and take it to a proper disposal facility". Of course, nobody really does this, but if you suddenly lose the ability to use vowels, they can say "We told you so". Also, turning the in-laws lawn into a superfund site didn't appeal to me.
Napier was the only company with a different answer- they said that the most dangerous thing that will come off will be the paint you are removing. The only semi-nasty thing in it is hydrogen peroxide, so if you didn't use gloves, there is the possibility that you could end up looking like a mime. The other fun thing was that when I did this back in 2003, Napier hadn't officially started selling the brush-on product- they hadn't even named it yet. I called them in Vancouver, and they sent the stuff to me for free and asked me to write an account of the project. Not sure if they would go for that anymore.
So... in my opinion, the Napier stuff works almost as well as the really nasty stuff, but it also won't kill you. This, to me, is a plus.

Brad
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-022S.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	82455   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-024S.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	82456  

65Safari65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 12:46 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
westfield , Massachusetts
Ok strippers, another question for you! Have removall on the trailer as I type, but hesitated to apply it between the blue and red decals that, while they are cracked, I am not removing. Is the removeall harmful to the decals? Will just taping them with painters tape be enough to protect them while I apply the removall between the decals? Thanks!
towmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 01:33 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
The removall took my WBCCI stickers off very easily, so I think they will probably remove other decals. I used blue tape to cover my badges and that worked well as long as I pulled the blue tape shortly after applying the stripper. If you don't I think it will eat through the blue tape and start working on whatever is underneath.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:45 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 22
Hey All,
I tried 3 different kinds of stripper on my argy,the one from lowes that didnt do much and cost bout 22 bucks,the one from wall mart that did a little better for 23 bucks then the aircraft stripper from the auto pint store for 43 bucks and it worked great.I guess you get what you pay for huh!
Old 06-30-2009, 11:50 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Am almost done with with the strip.....tease seems to be the word! I keep thinking I'm done and then.... First coat took 98% I"m still horsing around with little spots here and there with a small artist brush. The skirt took a couple go arounds as it had alot of surface dirt blended in. Remove-all did it for me, a bit of a mess in the driveway! Just shy of a gallon on a 31 footer with half the clear coat gone already. Not a bad investment.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:39 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
Any stripper with a lot of methylene chloride will do a great jod. Too bad this stuff is on the EPA list of "bad" chemicals. There are some good aircraft strippers out there at about $140.00 a gallon. You might want to look at MTC's EFS-2500.
dlb435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 04:41 PM   #15
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Use you head

I'll help...
Going along with this theam of chemicals...
I found a way to get the sticky film off the interior walls.
Cheap 'brake cleaner', from Wal Mart.
Took about 6 cans, but at last it is smooth and nice to touch.
It has been a few weeks, and is still smooth.
Careful around any lables as it will remove them in one wipe.

Just in time for this weekend...
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:53 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
1969 21' Globetrotter
1953 25' Cruiser
Front Royal , Virginia
Critter,

hang in there. I just finish the first cut of polish today. It is not prefect but I realy like how it turned out. Next step painting the caps.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P6060029.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	83246   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6300051.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	240.6 KB
ID:	83247  

Name:	P6300059.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	234.8 KB
ID:	83248  
nick6930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 05:33 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Critter I think she looks great! You're a step ahead of me! I went to my propane tanks first to try my hand at the polishes and my new toy the cyclopolisher. OMG it's amazing! Rain today here up north so I'll have to work inside and leave the skin for Friday. I may get too tired this year for perfection and save it for the Spring. Thanks so much klatu for the tip on the sticky ceiling! Have been wondering for years how to get rid of that. I only wonder now what I'll use for bug control? Hah!
Old 05-06-2013, 08:10 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Jenaz, Switzerland , Graubunden
Good thread..I'm looking for the European equivalent of removeall if anyone has a tip? Cheers up
Uppla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:50 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Apparently, we can't get Removall anymore in the states. We just ordered the stuff VTS is now selling as a replacement: has good reviews on their website. We tried an experiment with several different environmentally friendly strippers and this is what we found: Soy based stripper from Rockler worked well but took awhile (hour or so) and is somewhat labor intensive in that you have to scrape and scrub it off. Readystrip from Menards works even slower and not nearly as well. Dries up easily on the trailer and has to be re-wet to scrape off. More labor intensive. Another citris based stripper from Menards, Magic Strip citrus-Action was about the same but stayed wet longer. Citristrip, which we've read good reviews on the forums about, was about the same as the others. We want something quicker and easier! SO, we're going with the brush-on airplane style stripper. Chris had a small spray can and the clearcoat we tried it on wrinkled off in about 5 minutes.
So maybe you could try a few different ones you can access there, Uppla, to experiment with.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 02:10 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Calgary , Alberta
Efs-2500

Saw the mention of Molecular Tech Canada's EFS-2500 in this thread, but no others dealing with removing clear coat.

Seems like a comparable alternative to removall / now PPG AEROSPACE PR-5044 PEROXIDE-ACTIVATED STRIPPER, although it doesn't look like it's peroxide-based.

Wondering if anyone has tried this stuff? CAD 280/5 gallons (~230 USD) + shipping makes it a little cheaper than PR-5044, pretty reassuring safety data and looks to be safe for aluminum.
Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote