Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2004, 09:42 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Spray Gun choice

Qucik question- would you prefer the gravity fed (upside down bottle) type sprayer to a regular one and why?
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 12:27 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

I use a pressure feed HVLP gun. I like the finish it leaves and the fact that most of the finish stays on what I spray it on, rather than going everywhere else. I t also has its own turbine that cleans and warms the air so that I don't have to worry about contamination from water, oil, etc.

Tripp
Tripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 07:43 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

spray gun

I like the gravity feed cup because it allows me to use all the paint while the regular cup always has some wasted paint left in the bottom. The one drawback to my gravity feed gun is that it is harder to clean.
bjond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 05:29 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Alan - FWIW, I used to work for a company that had a body shop among its businesses. They painted mostly european cars and sprayed everything from lacquers to enamels to catalyzed finishes.

The first choice of the painters was always a gravity feed gun. They only used the other type for spraying primers. Supposely, the atomization was better with the gravity feed guns.
HP9K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 09:29 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

My understanding is that unless you use pressure feed you need a gravity feed cup if you are buying an HVLP gun. The low pressure air will not provide enough suction to operate a suction feed gun with the cup below the gun.

I'm not a pro, but I'm in the market for a gun. This is what I have gleaned from the literature I've seen.

Loren
Old 08-01-2004, 10:54 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
As mentioned above, the gravity feed gun uses all the paint, but more importantly, when you're out, you're out with minimum spatter. On a suction feed, the gun can sputter quite a bit as the final paint sloshes around in the bottom of the cup. Most people won't stop when it first starts to spatter, hoping to use the remaining paint, and with the suction cup it can lead to a mediocre paint job.

For me, the Devilbiss Finishline has performed better than any gun I've owned. I don't paint that often so I needed an easy to dial in gun and the Finishline FLG-615 fits the bill. I picked one up on Ebay for a little less than $90 a couple years ago. Before painting, be sure to purchase equipment or learn to judge when you have added enough reducer so the paint has the right viscosity for painting with the gun you choose. Ask the retailer where you purchase the paint to show you how, or sell you the devices to measure viscosity. This step is just as important as setting and maintaining the right air pressure.
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 10:11 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Another vote for the Devilbiss Finishline FLG-615. I've used this gun for a little while. I've restored a few cars (I have 2 of my restored cars photographs in this thread http://www.airforums.com/forum...light=opinions ) (in two of my post near the bottom) and find that this gun preforms as well as any Binks that I have used in the past.

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 08:50 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
I just got a Campbell-Hausfeld HVLP this weekend--they are on sale this week at Home Depot. I got an additional $40 off for having the accessory pack taken out of the box (missing a wrench, bottle brush and drip stick). So, all total, it's a low-end model, but it cost under $100, and should service my needs.

I understand the gravity feed ones are much better, but my requirements are fairly simple. It's rated as acceptable for my next paint project (epoxy paint to the tub). I also read a number of reviews and the feedback has been pretty good for their Easy Spray line--the only concern I have is that there are parts that need maintenance replacement (filter, etc.)--and the Home Depot seems to have none of them. Also, I just have to find a replacement bottle brush to clean it before going to town with paint. I think my best option will be to order these from the manufacturer website.

Mary
fireflyinva is offline   Reply With Quote