Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2007, 02:26 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Eagle River , Alaska
Silver paint for vents & external accessories

What brand & color of paint closely approximates the original silver color used on refrigerator and stove exhaust fan vent covers, LPG regulator and tank mounts etc for early ‘60s?

ie:Exterior accessories.

Andy told us once but I can’t find it.
Safari64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:32 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I used Rustoleum gloss aluminum for ours, it looks pretty good. If it's too shiny, you can try Krylon Aluminum Ingot, a slightly duller silver.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Check my website for pics

I used Rust-oleum "professional", aluminum color, "high performance enamel" on my Overlander. The one-quart, oil-based cans were poured into my spraygun for the steel parts (bumper, frame, LPG tanks, etc.) while spray cans (with all their toluene, xylene & acetone) seemed a better choice for plastic parts (AC shroud, fridge vent cover, etc.)

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 03:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
I used the Dupli-Color urethane wheel paint on the stove vent. It comes in a couple of colors to match alloy wheels. I think I used "steel". Good match for the oxidized clear coat.
I wanted something tougher than the Rustoleum enamel since the awning tends to rub on the vent when rolled up. I'll see what it looks like next year, having only made 2 trips since the repaint.

Tom.

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 12:30 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Eagle River , Alaska
TomW

you you pleased with the install and appearrance of the VTS astrdome cover?
Safari64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 04:33 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
My astrodome was marketed by InlandRV, not VTS. I am happy with the amount of light it lets in.

You can read about the install at my website.

I do have one issue with it that popped up this year, but the issue does not affect fit, form or functionality.

Tom
Old 04-02-2008, 09:01 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Ogden , Utah
Paint on or off of rig?

I would like to repaint my emblems and like the looks of each of the examples posted above. Mine have apparently never been removed before since there are no visible rivets. If I wanted to pull them off to bead blast them, how do I get them off without damaging them or the trailer? I tried to slip a plastic putty knife under them to no avail.
I BEgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:35 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Ogden , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by I BEgan
I would like to repaint my emblems and like the looks of each of the examples posted above. Mine have apparently never been removed before since there are no visible rivets. If I wanted to pull them off to bead blast them, how do I get them off without damaging them or the trailer? I tried to slip a plastic putty knife under them to no avail.
Found the answer in a previous post:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f474...val-12506.html
Old 04-03-2008, 04:00 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
I think I will elaborate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
...I do have one issue with it that popped up this year, but the issue does not affect fit, form or functionality.
The material used to make up the solar/astro- dome is UV resistant.

The glue used to assemble it is not. It has turned brown.

The gasket material is not UV-resistant resistant either. It was replaced earlier this week (after two years of service) because it drooped, turned light-in-color, and primarily, was turning to dust.

The gasket I can get over. The brown perimeter is a little harder.

Tom