Old 03-10-2012, 09:22 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2002 25' Safari
Va. Beach , Virginia
Roof paint streaks

When it rains I am getting white streaks down the side of the Airstream (2002 Safari). Does this indicate I need to repaint/reseal the roof or does it just need a good scrubbing? I bought it used so I am assuming that this is original factory paint on top.

I'm also getting some minor leaking inside but its hard to tell where the entry point is. I'm thinking about stripping/recaulking everything on top. Any suggestions on a good caulk, I'm thinking a high grade exterior silicone?

Any suggestions are very much appreciated!

Mark

Old 03-10-2012, 10:31 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Hi Mark,

Do NOT use silicone on your airstream! Silicone corrodes aluminum. I'm not sure what airstream uses for a roof coating, nor do I know if they ever coated roofs. New trailers have a white fiberglass panel for the roof.

For caulking, use Vulkum (aka trempro). The gray color matches well. I think it's 137 or 136. It's available from Vintage Trailer Supply, InLand RV, Out of Doors Mart, and other places. I've read where it's also available at Home Depot, although I've never looked for it there.

For the white roof, can you figure out if it's just white paint, or a roof coating? A coating will be fairly thick. If it's a roof coating, then it probably needs to be resealed. Kool Seal is a brand I've used. It's white and self-leveling, and will stick to just about anything and seal it.

For sealing seams, use ParBond or Siliflex (SP?). I've used ParBond, and it flows into the seams pretty well. Others swear by Siliflex. Both are available at the same 3 online places I mentioned above I believe. Also, if you have a local Airstream dealer, it's all available from them too.

Best of luck tracking down the leak. They are really hard to pinpoint sometimes, so go over the outside with a fine tooth comb, and seal anything that looks suspicious. Use vulkum on the biger joints like around windows and doors, and ParBond or Siliflex on the exposed seams.

Chris

Old 03-10-2012, 10:43 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
It could also be clear coat that breaking down...it would create a whitish residue also.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaffmc View Post
When it rains I am getting white streaks down the side of the Airstream (2002 Safari). Does this indicate I need to repaint/reseal the roof or does it just need a good scrubbing? I bought it used so I am assuming that this is original factory paint on top.

I'm also getting some minor leaking inside but its hard to tell where the entry point is. I'm thinking about stripping/recaulking everything on top. Any suggestions on a good caulk, I'm thinking a high grade exterior silicone?

Any suggestions are very much appreciated!

Mark
The original white roof coloring, would not leave any streaks.

The previous owner must have painted the roof sheet again.

Andy
Old 03-13-2012, 05:11 PM   #5
Silver Sellout

2005 25' Safari
fort wayne , Indiana
The roof on your airstream is aluminum that is painted white. It is not white fiberglass. This is a factory coating. I have a 2005 safari that had the same problem you describe. I believe the paint gets oxidized causing the white streaks. I scrubbed the roof and waxed it. That was 2 years ago and the problem has not come back. Hope this helps.
dshouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:30 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Clean and wax! Wax is good....
Bruce
Old 04-10-2012, 04:42 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2002 25' Safari
Va. Beach , Virginia
Thanks for the replies. The roof was filthy, I gave it a good wash and the oxidized paint washed off...problem solved. I intended to wax it too but washing was enough of a chore! I'll save the wax job for another day.