Old 04-06-2007, 09:27 AM   #1
1978 Argosy

1979 30' Argosy
Prague , Oklahoma
repaint

Need some input about repainting a 1978 argosy. After a very light cleaning and covering any bare aluminum with zinc chromate. What primer would be best, also which would be the best Acrylic Enamel or Acrylic Lacquer and then with a clear coat. Or is there a better way?

Old 04-06-2007, 09:35 AM   #2
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Dupont Imron was the original paint brand, and it seems to have lasted well for 2-3 decades. Maybe more of the same would be a good choice.

Old 04-06-2007, 10:23 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
I painted the end caps of my 76 Argosy last summer. I used Dupont 615S VariPrime and Dupont Acrylic Enamel with their Gloss Hardener - 793S I believe. It turned out nice. I may eventually wish that I had sealed the galvanized steel with something before priming - time will tell. I agree that Imron would be your best choice. Very durable stuff. However, it is a little less forgiving if you don't get the gloss you're after. What you spray is what you get. Costs more too. Base coat - clear coat finishes will cost more and the extra steps mean more things to go wrong. Plus if the clear starts to peel down the road that will be a lot of work to correct.
Old 04-06-2007, 04:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBolton
I painted the end caps of my 76 Argosy last summer. I used Dupont 615S VariPrime and Dupont Acrylic Enamel with their Gloss Hardener - 793S I believe. It turned out nice. I may eventually wish that I had sealed the galvanized steel with something before priming - time will tell. I agree that Imron would be your best choice. Very durable stuff. However, it is a little less forgiving if you don't get the gloss you're after. What you spray is what you get. Costs more too. Base coat - clear coat finishes will cost more and the extra steps mean more things to go wrong. Plus if the clear starts to peel down the road that will be a lot of work to correct.
Hi RBolton; Boy, you have said it all. This is why I will do my Argosy in Marine Pettit Polypoxy. "Boatdoc"
Old 04-09-2007, 07:54 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
Hello Boatdoc, I'm not familiar with Pettit Polypoxy. I'm guessing it's an epoxy finish similar to Imron. Epoxy finishes are ideal for Marine, Aviation and RV applications. We painted a 1980 Chrysler LeBaron with black Imron back in 1985. That car was put out to pasture in 1995. The paint still has not lost its luster.