Old 06-04-2011, 07:09 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member
1999 25' Safari
On , the road
Removing old adhesive

One of the POs put that big America map right on the side of the trailer. It has baked in the sun for years. A drill mounted eraser wheel removed the state outlines, but didn't touch the adhesive.

Any ideas on what I can use to get this off and not hurt the clearcoat? Googone did nothing. Picking at it with a finger nail does nothing.

timmaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:14 AM   #2
Commercial Member
1967 30' Sovereign
Los Lunas , New Mexico
Have you tried a light solvent like rubbing alcohol or peanut butter? In any event, if you use a solvent, use some in an innocuous spot on clean clearcoat to see if it makes a mess.

WBCCI 21043
eubank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:35 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Corpus Christi , Texas
Try 3M adhesive remover #03618, available from Autozone. The key is to keep the adhesive remover in a liquid state on the old adhesive for as long as possible. To do this, you can put a plastic garbage bag over the old adhesive immediately after spraying the adhesive remover (while the adhesive remover is still liquid). This keeps it from evaporating before softening the old adhesive. I prefer the white garbage bags because you can see the liquid adhesive remover thru them. Leave it in place for about 5 minutes, then remove the garbage bag and rub the area with a rag. Adhesive should roll right off.
So Long!
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:48 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Eureka Springs , Arkansas
That looks like a job!
You can buy adhesive remover in a spray can at auto supply stores.
I believe it's made by 3M.
If you read the label, it states the main ingredient, which you can buy at a paint store. I bought both, the spray can is easier and does seem to work a little better.
It wont be an easy job. Our coach had 2 year old graphics on it, and it was tough.
You'll probably need to figure out how to cover it with a cloth so it can soak.
Do small areas, after soaking, rub with terry cloth rag soaked in remover.
In my case, a heat gun helped soften it up.
Good luck!
PS: Don't leave the used rags wadded up. Hang them to to dry before discarding. Petroleum products have a risk of spontaneous combustion!
triplenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:36 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member
1999 25' Safari
On , the road
Thanks guys..

I'll see if the local hardware store has the 3m remover and let you know how it goes.

Odd odd place for a big sticker..
timmaah is offline   Reply With Quote