Old 06-20-2006, 10:22 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 29' Ambassador
bethesda , Maryland
Removing AIRSTREAM Decals

Can anyone recommend how to remove AIRSTREAM Decals front and rear so they can be used again... In have a 1978 Ambassador...Thanks!!

Old 06-20-2006, 10:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Are they decals? Decals are stick on plastic film. They can not be taken off without destroying them. If you mean the cast letters, I think you can pry them off. Call Inland and ask.

Old 06-20-2006, 10:39 AM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I could be wrong about this, but Airstream does have a supply of some vintange decals and lettering. Taking off old decals to save might be hard, and why take so much time if you might not have to. Check with Jackson Center. I was there a bit over a year ago and was shocked to find many common vintage lettering, decals, etc in there little side room store.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 12:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Wbcci?

Are you referring to the WBCCI numbers and WBCCI round sticker. You can get replacement ones from WBCCI.org. If Airstream related, send in a photo of what you are talking about. Thanks,

Rob
http://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - http://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 01:02 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1978 29' Ambassador
bethesda , Maryland
Sorry everyone....
I meant cast AIRSTREAM letters...how do you pry them off?
Old 06-21-2006, 02:45 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Rivet...

Most of the Airstream cast letters are held on by small cherry or pop rivets.. You can remove them by using power drill with small bit (3/64" ?) to drill through the rivets, and then the entire casting should come off, either single piece or cast letter by cast letter...

Be very careful putting them back to use some form of proper sealant (NOT silicone..) so that they don't become a source of rain and condensate water leaks... Same process to replace, using rivet "gun" and pop rivets...

Newer Airstream letters (like "Safari" from late 1990's) may held on with adhesive, and should be heated slightly with heat gun to remove...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 03:24 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by popeyedoyle1
Sorry everyone....
I meant cast AIRSTREAM letters...how do you pry them off?

DO NOT attempt to pry the cast letters off.

The letters have small pins on the backside that go through small holes in the metal. Speed nuts are slipped over the pins, on the back side to hold the letters in place.

Simply take a sharp putty knife. carefully slip it under the letters, and shear the pins off, by tapping the putty knife handle with a small hammer.

You can easily locate the position of the pins by carefully looking at the face of each letter, for a small round indentation. Immediately behind that indentation, is the location of each pin.

When reinstalling the letters, seal the holes with vulkem sealer and drill two or three #30 holes through the letter and through the sheet metal.

Install the letters with 1/8 blue pop rivets that are available from some dealers.

BE PATIENT.

Andy
Old 06-21-2006, 03:40 PM   #8
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Andy,
Can these letters be re-attached the original way if you can access the back side of them?

I just happened to notice, when I was monkeying around w/ my stereo wires not long ago, I had to remove the cabinet over the front windows...(which is really not hard to do). the backs of those letters were right there. I don't know if its so easy to get in there on other 70's models, but perhaps...

anyway, just wondering, should the need to remove them ever arise. (polishing...leak...whatever).
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 05:10 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
Andy,
Can these letters be re-attached the original way if you can access the back side of them?

I just happened to notice, when I was monkeying around w/ my stereo wires not long ago, I had to remove the cabinet over the front windows...(which is really not hard to do). the backs of those letters were right there. I don't know if its so easy to get in there on other 70's models, but perhaps...

anyway, just wondering, should the need to remove them ever arise. (polishing...leak...whatever).

Most of the time the "speed nuts" can be removed.

Sometimes it's a problem removing them because they may be covered with Vulkem. If you try to force the speed nuts off, you may also break the pins as well.

Speed nuts are designed to be a "one time on", and a "never off" kind of fastener.

Easy to slip on, but a bearcat to remove.

Andy
Old 06-23-2006, 01:21 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1978 29' Ambassador
bethesda , Maryland
Andy...thanks for the info...I think I will polish around the letters...no reason to open that can of worms....cheers!!!