Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2011, 07:15 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
POR15 Glisten PC Clear Coat

Has anyone tried this product? How about the acrylic that Airstream recommends? Will it blend in for spot repairs. I thinking about cleaning up some small filiform corrosion spots, polishing, using Alodine 1200 surface conversion, and the POR. Any thoughts or recomendations?

Thanks, Dave...
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:14 AM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Has anyone tried this product? How about the acrylic that Airstream recommends? Will it blend in for spot repairs. I thinking about cleaning up some small filiform corrosion spots, polishing, using Alodine 1200 surface conversion, and the POR. Any thoughts or recomendations?

Thanks, Dave...
Dave,

Haven't used that product, looks interesting though.

I've found that what you use is not what makes the "blending" difficult.
It's the brushed look of the original finish thats hard to match.
Believe it or not one of the most durable clearcoat's has been a quality nail polish, followed by regular auto brush-on, on the smaller filiform repairs.
I have used Thomas' Water Based Stainless paint and Clear on the larger areas.
Don't know why but the link starts at the last post...oop's
Hope this helps....

Bob
Old 02-11-2012, 01:39 PM   #3

1991 35' Airstream 350
Titusville , Florida
POR 15 Glisten

Dave,

If you have not started the clear coat with Glisten - DON"T!!!! It's JUNK!!!

I have worked with coatings of all types and all application methods in the marine, construction and auto industry for more than 40 years. That said, here is what happened with Glisten.

I was sold on the product by a rep that visits our shop once a month or so. He stopped by while we were prepping my 1991- 350 motorhome for paint and clear. I talked with Por on several occasions before and during the process. I liked the fact that it could be rolled and tipped as is often done with marine finishes. I have used that process too many times to remember in boat yards where you could not spray. It always worked very well on the finishes. It always looked as good as our sprayed on finishes.

We applied the POR Glisten exactly by the company's written recommendations and phone advice. I'm obsessive about following such things with new products in the shop.

Roll and tip POR Glisten and then throw sand into it. The sand will smooth it out compared to the finish you will get following their recommended application. No, it doesn't lay down and flow out the brush marks any more than latex paint on a hot car hood will flow out.

20 man hours later of sanding it flat we decided to shoot it for a real nice, gleaming, smooth finish. What was I thinkin'! At least by spraying it you won't need the sand thrown on it. It automatically turns to the texture of non-skid. You cannot thin it enough, use a large enough tip, or supply enough pressure to get the stuff to atomize and flow out smooth. It's worse than trying to shoot a Shell based epoxy resin.

Monday morning my men will back sanding it again. All we can do at this point is shoot an over coat of automotive clear and hope for the best.

The cost of the product, sanding disks and labor costs made this a $1500.00 mistake and I still need to buy and shoot the auto clear.

By the way - all the Nasson automotive colors and clear we shot on this coach came out great. POR15-Glisten was the only problem child. I will never use it or recommend it to anyone for any reason.

I hope this helps anyone thinking of using it for anymore than a very small job where it will not be noticed.

John
bfpjk1 is offline   Reply With Quote