Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2004, 07:53 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

POR paint inquiry

I am almost ready to paint my tongue, Whoa back up my 74' Airstreams tongue and rear bumper. On the POR paint site I see Sterling Silver and Gray kits. I remember a post that showed the gray on the tongue (tastefull) not a overstatement, "like dont talk to me I'M a A/S owner". I would like to see one that shows the Sterling silver. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-26-2004, 07:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I used Stirling on ours...check out "During/Hitch" if you want more pix & info ~

Shari
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tongueafter1.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	4960  
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 08:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
POR 15

If you can wait until tomorrow, I will post a picture of a Sterling tongue and a gray jack.
In the meantime, the Sterling is very difficult to apply without sagging. This causes the silver to have bands of bright and dark silver. I plan put a final coat on with a spray gun, see if it is more even.
The gray is really nice. I used it on some underbody parts and it looks great.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 08:43 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Lincoln City , Oregon
Duraback instead?

I live on the coast and everthing rusts Fast fast fast over here. I bought a gallon of grey duraback truck bedliner paint and plan on using that for the tounge.

Also the POR paint website had a deal were you could get primer and paint together at a discount. I got silver to paint my marker lights because the salt air oxidize's them, havn't tried it yet but hope it helps.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
the Sterling is very difficult to apply without sagging. This causes the silver to have bands of bright and dark silver.
Hmmm...I didn't have that problem. The "streaks" flowed out just fine as it dried. Might be climatic differences...?

I'm happy with the results ~

Shari

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
Old 02-27-2004, 07:44 AM   #6
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
POR paint

Greg,

Here is a picture of my tongue/oops, I mean my trailer tongue, with Sterling Silver topcoat on the coupler and POR15 gray on the jack.
I should point out that the gray is the POR15 basecoat, and may change color after exposure to UV. I don't think POR has a gray 'topcoat'.
The Sterling silver is applied over two coats of POR15 silver basecoat.
I reviewed Shari's pictures and she said the paint set up in about 20 minutes. Mine took at least two hours to set up and I think that may be why mine has a streaky saggy look. POR paint is very moisture sensitive, so I think Shari's comment about climatic conditions is right on. It was very dry when I painted, delayed the setting. Took almost 12 hrs to dry completely.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tonguepaint.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	4963  
Old 02-27-2004, 04:04 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Thanks to all, one more question

Pint kit or quart kit for the tongue and bumper? You all sold me on the sterling silver. Mark no wonder you cant get garlic, how far did you have to dig down to get the picture? LOL
Old 02-27-2004, 04:11 PM   #8
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
POR 15

Greg:
A pint is not enough, a quart is too much. Depends on how many coats you want to put on. Order a six pack of pints. Mix and match the colors. DON'T GET THE QUARTS, because the lids are put on so tight you practically destroy the lid to get it off. And then you can't keep the left-overs.
Also, check local suppliers. Especially in larger cities you can buy single pints
Old 02-27-2004, 06:01 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
...the lids are put on so tight you practically destroy the lid to get it off. And then you can't keep the left-overs.
I found that if I put a piece of Saran Wrap over the can before putting the lid on, I could get the lid off later. I actually cut a piece of Saran Wrap about 12"x12" then folded it into a 4"x4" square then put it between the lid and can. The top layer would stick to the lid and the bottom to the can, but at least I could keep it fresh between coats...it lasted over the couple of weeks it took me to do the rear bumper, hitch & steps a couple of coats each. It also saved a couple of bucks by buying the quart size...I use two of each the top & base coats...sometimes three of the base coat if it was a really rough area with rust.

Shari