Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2002, 07:51 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Por-15

Anyone used the POR-15 rust inhibitive paints? I have perused their web site, and would consider that stuff to redo the inside of my larger baggage compartment. It has some minor leakeage which caused surface rusting.
Ihave wire brushed off a lot of the rust, and would want to coat it with something somewhat waterproof as I keep the sewer hoses and such in that bin. The hoses are now in a plastic storage box, the formewr owner had them laying in the bin where they were prone to leak water, which added to the rusting problem. The door seems to fit fairly well, but water will seep in after a hard rain. My other compartments are dry.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 03:00 PM   #2
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Alan,
I don't know the por-15, but you should use a specific product, before recoating.
Its called Orpho, sometimes its just called Rust primer. I comes in plastic bottles, is greenish in color and thin as water. It turns rust into Iron oxide.(Paint or Hardware store)
You can just brush it on. Its very important to let it dry for several days (or longer) or your paint will fail. When its ready to be painted, it will feel completely dry and look blackish (with white streaks).
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 08:59 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
Alan,
Peter is correct you need to treat the metal before covering and Ospho is good stuff to use. I have used POR-15 in restoring/repairing several old VW's and the stuff is great but it is real difficult to remove if necessary and it is best to use it in areas where it is out of direct sunlight, something about the sun's effects on the paint. Their sales stuff will tell you all that.

John
83Excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 09:00 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
tHANKS

Thanks for the info guys. I will head to Home Depot and pick up that stuff. My original idea was to stop the rusting( i have already wire brushed quite a lot of it) and then coat the bottom of that bin with something like Zolatone marine paint, or Bed liner spray. to keep it rust free in the future. I keep only the sewer hoses in a plastic bin there now. The good news is the rust is not on the outside of the bin.
I sprayed much of the whole frame with a rustoleum type paint on a warm weekend recently.
Old 04-03-2002, 02:20 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1996 30' Excella
Brighton , Michigan
Por15 is great stuff, have used it on several car chassis during restoration. About that sewer hose, I don't know much about A/S motor homes but if you look at a current trailer you will see plastic pipe mounted under the trailer just in front of the wheels for sewer hose storage. It keeps the water out of the trailer and could be made with plastic pipe avaliable at Home Depot. I also belive Camping World has one already made to install under the vehicle.
apple 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 02:44 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Slow Friday

Airstreamforum classics (notice the date)

Everyone already knows about POR-15, but there hasn't been any traffic in over an hour. So I went lookin' for the oldest thread I could find.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 03:33 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
THis is an old thread! I ended up using a rustoleum rustproofing primer, then painted over it, and added a good bead of rubber insualtion trim to keep the water out, it has held up well over a few years now.
I had a leak from the water heater that ran right down into the comaprtment, and I have since fixed that too.
It could be insteresting for me to read back three years and see just how many things I have fixed, with assistance from those here.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!