Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2010, 01:10 PM   #1

1973 27' Overlander
Boulder City , Nevada
Question plastikote

I have a 1973 Airstream that I'm replacing the plastikote on the roof sections, I purchased the Remove All 220 and the Plastikote but I have misplaced the instructions on how the apply the Plastikote. Does anyone have the application instructions that they could email me? I remember that they were fairly detailed as regards to temperature.

Thanks,
bcmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 03:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcmoore View Post
I have a 1973 Airstream that I'm replacing the plastikote on the roof sections, I purchased the Remove All 220 and the Plastikote but I have misplaced the instructions on how the apply the Plastikote. Does anyone have the application instructions that they could email me? I remember that they were fairly detailed as regards to temperature.

Thanks,
The original clearcoat or plasticoat has a life span of about 5 years, and then becomes dead paint.

You would be wise to recoat the entire trailer, not just the roof.

The present clearcoat is available as a 2 part mix.

Spraying it on at the lowest air pressure your gun will handle, is the best way.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:42 AM   #3

1973 27' Overlander
Boulder City , Nevada
Hi Andy, thanks for the quick response. I was out of down for a week and I replied to your message on Saturday, but I don't think it ever posted because I haven't seen it yet. So, hopefully this time my reply will work.

I do plan on recoating the whole trailer, but I wanted to start with a small inconspicuous area first because I have never done this before and if I mess it up no one can see it.

You said that the Plasticote was a two part mix, I assume you are talking about the Solvent Blend and the 367-HC3-0750 Clear Plastikote? I do have one page of the application instructions that include the mixture amounts and step 1, of the 4 steps for applying the Plasticote, but I a little confused on the mixture amounts:

[I]367-hc-27-0750 Clear-5lbs., EB-Acetate-.69 0z, Solvent Blend-2lbs., Smoothie-14 grams.[I]

I assume that the gallon of Plasticote weighs 5 lbs. and the smaller container of solvent weights 2 lbs. and I mix the 2 container together. Do I need to add Acetate and is there a difference EB-Acetate and just regular Acetate? And what the heck is "Smoothie"?

How soon after I mix up everything do I need to apply it? Is one coat enough or do I apply a light coat first then go back over it, after the first one sets-up a little?

Thanks for all your help.

Bryan
bcmoore is offline   Reply With Quote