Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Clearcoat, Exterior Paint & Trim
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-26-2002, 03:42 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Painting your Airstream

I own an '81 Excella Limited trailer (31'). I'm considering painting the exterior in the future. I would be interested in hearing anyone's comments. I saw one painted trailer in SOCAL that was very impressive. (Hard to distinquish from new aluminum) Obviously, my preference would be a mirror polish job, but dred the thought of the care needed to maintain the look. Any thoughts?
jkleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 04:15 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Paint your Airstream

After searching thru lots of junk, oops valuable info, I found the recommended color... PPG Delstar DAR 34363
Grille Silver Metallic
Matches aluminium on the money.
Frank
Old 03-26-2002, 07:17 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
Inland rv has a picture of a painted one on their site, looks good in a picture from a distance. Someone asked him how much it would cost to do theirs ALOT. They put several coats on and several clear coats on as well as alot of prep work. I'm sure Andy at Inland would be glad to tell you more (just dont mention wheel balancing) just kidding Andy.

John
83Excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 08:43 PM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
I have seen other Airstreams painted. One was a Motor Home and the other was actually an Argosy 24 trailer, that was even badged as an Airstream. You could not tell unless you looked for multi segment ends. The both looked really good.

My understanding is that painting one is really no diffrent than clear coating one, same prep time, and booth time to do a color coat more time is necessary to clear coat. The biggest benifit I can think of is no more obsessing over clear coat peel and waxing can be done with an automotive product in place of Walbenize.

I will be needing to paint my Motor home in the near future and am saving my nickels!
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 09:38 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
I am Brett's co-pilot. He's not saving his nickels; he's making me go back to work!

He didn't mention that our '76 Argosy MH has original paint (what's left of it) with a badly peeling attempt to change the color of the copper stripe to bright blue. I'm afraid we look like white trash right now.
Old 03-27-2002, 06:46 PM   #6
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Dear Edie,
It's the paint, you are worried about?
Oh, well, I am sure you saw the pictures of our Motorhome before I jump into the ice cold pond of replacing the damaged panels. It was hail damage, yes hail, the dirtiest 4 letter word in the airstream world.
I felt like Dr Jekyl and Mr. Hyde, like the Beauty and the Beast, driving down the road. Did it deter me from going ahead and spending countless hours and money on the interior? No! I knew deep inside that some day, I would somehow replace those panels.
The joy you will experience, when the day comes to repaint your couch with your colors, is priceless and well worth looking forward to.
Your friend
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 07:12 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Thanks Peter, for the encouraging words. I'm usually a little intimidated at the beginning of a big project. How much should I budget? How much will it really cost? My real cost almost always runs 1.5 to 2 times my budget

And of course there is the question of color. Do we go with original Argosy eggshell, or do we use beautiful Airstream silver. I love the silver, but I don't want our coach to pretend to something it isn't.

And your hail damage was at least the same color as the surrounding aluminum. Nothing says "Trashy people incoming" like peeling paint.

But I tell my self, "If Peter could REPLACE SHEETS OF ALUMINUM, I can pay someone to paint my coach for me. Really, I can."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	curb side before - cropped.jpg
Views:	1030
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	66  
Old 03-28-2002, 08:58 PM   #8
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Edie,
do you see the peeling paint on the rear outside corner of my now sold 1978 Avion? I was so distressed that I had to bbq a big steak. I even forgot to put on my suspenders.
Isn't it amazing, how similar the colors are?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	spidermiller.jpg
Views:	1011
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	72  
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2002, 09:27 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
I see one TINY chip of missing paint. Heck, I have chips in my nail polish that are bigger than that. But I do agree that the colors are very similar. Or, WERE similar until a PO decided that blue goes nicely over copperish-brown.

Of course since cooking has no theraputic value for me, I'll just have to go shopping to get over my distress.
Old 03-29-2002, 09:38 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Brett. Painting an Airstream trailer or motorhome is far removed from "plasticoating," IF," done properly!
The coach must be stripped. The metal must be sanded with 150 grit sandpaper. All the residue then must be removed with solvents. Next, all the seams must be resealed. Two coats of flexible primer must then be applied, which is followed by three coats of metallic silver, followed by three coats of polyurethane clear. Therefore, painting using our method, takes eight times longer than plasticoating. We have yet to have any failure, using this method, in over 30 years. Cheap paint jobs and inadequate proceedures lead to early failures, and makes momma's very unhappy. And we all know, that when momma is unhappy, no one is happy.
Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2002, 04:15 PM   #11
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Andy,

I defer to your experience and knowledge!

I had been told the erroneus info by an Airstreamer that had his trailer painted. It looked good, but I do not know how old the paint was or how much $$ it cost to do.

Ditto on momma being happy!
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

Old 06-14-2002, 09:32 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

I'm Going for the Paint....

I've spent the last several months stressing over which way to go....re-plasiticoat or go for the paint job on my 1984 310 MH. I'm making the plunge into the paint. I tested it by having a panel on my 1956 bubble painted and the results were beautiful. You get the original looking brushed aluminum with a perfect finish. By painting my motorhome I can get all of the scratches and dents removed, I won't have to deal with a Cyclo polisher every six months and the finish will last for years.....I should have it done by the end of the month and will send picture for anyone interested. I know I'll be banned from any Airstream Authentic circles but hopefully I'll end up with a great looking MH that looks original. Cost was more ($7,600) than the plasiticoat but from what I've read on the PS it's a problem that won't go away....

Ken
kzener40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 09:59 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
Ken,
Where are you having this done at, body shop, RV, other? I'm sure you'll still be accepted by other 'streamers after all how will they know its painted unless you tell them right? . What procedure are you going with? keep us posted and include pictures if you can.

John
83Excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 10:07 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

kzener40,
I doubt I would want to paint a 'vintage' trailer, but I think your decision to paint the MH is a sound one, for all the reasons you outlined. I didn't realize the cost would be quite that high, but it may well be worth it, in the long run.
I will look forward to your thoughts after the job is completed. A picture, or two, would be nice too. Where are you having it done?
jkleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 02:01 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
It would be great to see a photo or more of the motorhome being painted.
As for plasticoat- I know my AS motorhome looks pretty shiny and the plasticoat seems to be holding up well for a 20 yr old unit. I know it was car ported the past 5 yrs before I got it, but when I waxed it the aluminum really started to glow. A little wax every few months seems so far to keep it looking good.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 03:13 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Paint job

Just for references..Besides InlandRv, there's another place which will paint A/S motorhomes as well as TT.
www.gmccoop.com
they're in FLa.
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 08:17 AM   #17
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Here is a picture of the Argosy that has been painted at the GMC Co-op. This was a complete strip and paint. He has also done a 345. This is where I may take mine........

http://www.gmccoop.com/newpage11.htm
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	paint_on_2.jpg
Views:	775
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	286  
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Old 06-26-2002, 08:21 AM   #18
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
here is another pic.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	paint_on_front.jpg
Views:	611
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	287  
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Old 06-26-2002, 08:28 AM   #19

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Brett

This is a great site! I always have had a soft spot in my heart for the GMC motor home. Maybe it came from watching the movie "Stripes" too much!

I think my only complaint about that coach is the lack of storage space.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2002, 05:53 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Ref: gmc

Brett~
Nice postin of the pictures~!!
These ole Southern boys sure know how to 'paint'..
Wonder how many gators come out at night?
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote