Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Clearcoat, Exterior Paint & Trim
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-30-2006, 12:12 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Fort McMurray , Canada
Painting exterior details - decal plates, bumper?

I was thinking of refinishing the nameplates affixed to our 1989 Airstream. The one at the front has faded substantially and has some paint removed from the italicized nameplate "Airstream" on the upper front portion of the trailer. Also there is one at the rear....I don't want to remove them complete as they are rivetted in place, and it seems it would a nightmare to remove them and re-affix them. Would it be advisable to tape off the area meticulously and -respray the nameplates in place? Has anyone tried it? Also, the bumper at the rear of the trailer has alot of paint removed, and I want to respray it. Is there a particular brand of spray that works best? It is currently a dark charcoal color, and I would be looking to maintain the color. I have lots of pics illustrating what I am talking about. However I can't figure out how to include them in this message!

Thanks!
a-wanabbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 12:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

For the rear bumper I use Duplicolor T183W gray in spray cans. For the italicized Airstreams, just drill out the rivets with a 1/8th inch drill bit, and do a proper cleaning job and repaint on the bench. I use Rustoleum blue with a paintbrush to give an excellent color match with the original. Refit with new pop rivets, and take this opportunity to put a dob of Vulkem on each rivet hole before refitting the names. Confidence in owning and using a pop rivet gun will be very useful in maintaining your trailer.
Nick.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:02 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Fort McMurray , Canada
I just FINALLY managed to figure out how to post pics.......lol..........yes a few choice words were used...Anyways they are fairly self explanatory, I hope. I am looking for some advice on how to 'clean up' a few problem areas on the exterior. I posted the pics in my photo gallery!!!!!!!

Thanks!
Old 05-02-2006, 12:01 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Wow, like looking in a mirror!

Tin -

Wow, seeing the photos of your unit was like looking in a mirror. I have a '92 34' which has nearly every feature you highlighted.

Love the lay down bottles! Love the rear bumper storage! Have a similar 'clear coat' issue that I have not yet decided to tackle.

Can you perhaps post additional photos of your unit - total unit including anwings?. I ask since I am looking to tackle an rear stabilizer 'problem' but have yet to find an other trailer anywhere that has a like unit mounted - they are all different.

Also the lay down bottle cover on mine is seemingly repainted and looking for other similar units for comparison. What is the paint scheme on yours? Since you have the 'wood' accent perhaps yours is different again from all others I have seen.

I have a '94 local that I am constantly 'trying' to compare to and it is just not working - like night and day on many things.

Anyhow, thanks again for the posts and perhaps you can add photos that can illuminate the similarities/ differences.

Peace

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 06:42 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Fort McMurray , Canada
I am waiting for a nice sunny day to take some exterior shots with the awnings open, it snowed last night...That about says it! The awnings are a black, brown, taupe striped color, they are nice. So I was thinking of keeping in the scheme of things...Maybe...Ours came with the stabilizer, thankfully. I have heard nothing but good things about them...I will let you know when I post some pics...Or you can check my gallery in the next little while!

Take care!!!