Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-22-2009, 11:40 AM   #1
Round Rocker
 
ludlow's Avatar
 
1962 22' Safari
1960 26' Overlander
Round Rock , Texas
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2
Painting an Airstream Trailer

Hello all,
I have truly enjoyed reading and learning about the differant projects that I am currently working on. I appreaciate the wealth of information that is shared. My first trailer is a 1962 Safari that is all in working condition and I finished re doing the trailer 2 years ago. My current project is a falling apart mess of a trailer. It had been sitting on a deer lease for some 25 years plus. It is a 1960 Overlander. Someone had previously gutted the inside and had refab it for a deerlease. The purpose of the trailer that I want to use it for is to have a traveling showcase for all the the things that I make. Because of my love for airstream trailer, I didn't have the heart to buy one that was in good shape. I am in the process of replacing the floor in the trailer. The trailer leaks and has rotted the floor so I want to seal the outside but know that I can't start that process until I strip the clear coat etc, it is a vicous circle isn't it? So, to some off you you might think that this is a cardinal sin for what I want to do to the outside. One of the businesses that I do is called Purple Hippos. So I want to paint the outside to look like a purple hippo. I don't need the paint job to be show room quality. I would like to do it myself. I was reading about Pettit Marine Paint that one Argosy owner used. Any help that you might have as to being able to paint the Airstream myself would be helpful. I have lots or power tools and elbow grease
__________________

__________________
ludlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ludlow View Post
Hello all,
I have truly enjoyed reading and learning about the differant projects that I am currently working on. I appreaciate the wealth of information that is shared. My first trailer is a 1962 Safari that is all in working condition and I finished re doing the trailer 2 years ago. My current project is a falling apart mess of a trailer. It had been sitting on a deer lease for some 25 years plus. It is a 1960 Overlander. Someone had previously gutted the inside and had refab it for a deerlease. The purpose of the trailer that I want to use it for is to have a traveling showcase for all the the things that I make. Because of my love for airstream trailer, I didn't have the heart to buy one that was in good shape. I am in the process of replacing the floor in the trailer. The trailer leaks and has rotted the floor so I want to seal the outside but know that I can't start that process until I strip the clear coat etc, it is a vicous circle isn't it? So, to some off you you might think that this is a cardinal sin for what I want to do to the outside. One of the businesses that I do is called Purple Hippos. So I want to paint the outside to look like a purple hippo. I don't need the paint job to be show room quality. I would like to do it myself. I was reading about Pettit Marine Paint that one Argosy owner used. Any help that you might have as to being able to paint the Airstream myself would be helpful. I have lots or power tools and elbow grease
A 1960 Airstream did not have the clearcoat on it. Perhaps a former owner had it painted.

There are numerous and extensive posts in this Forums about painting, and how you should do the job, from A to Z.

But, try to establish where the leaks are, and put together a game plan of how to fix them.

If your coach has "jalousie windows" you should consider replacing them since they leak, and there is nothing you can do to stop it, short of different or no windows in that area.

Andy

Andy
__________________

__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 02:04 PM   #3
Round Rocker
 
ludlow's Avatar
 
1962 22' Safari
1960 26' Overlander
Round Rock , Texas
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2
Thanks for your post. I guess I should clarify that I want to be able to paint the Airstream by hand and by roller. I don't want to use an airsprayer. Thanks for letting me know that that year does not have a clear coat that is great to know!!

Thanks,
Stephanie
__________________
ludlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 04:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master
 
Bob Thompson's Avatar
 
Corpus Christi , Texas
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 936
Images: 67
If you are determined to paint it by hand, consider using Awlgrip. It is on par with Imron in terms of quality, and it can be rolled on then tipped with a brush. Check here: Paint: AWLGRIP or IMRON With a Brush - Moderated Discussion Areas

Off the top of my head, you would still need to apply epoxy primer, then roll and tip the Awlgrip.
__________________
So Long!
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:07 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ludlow View Post
Thanks for your post. I guess I should clarify that I want to be able to paint the Airstream by hand and by roller. I don't want to use an airsprayer. Thanks for letting me know that that year does not have a clear coat that is great to know!!

Thanks,
Stephanie
Stephanie.

If you want "any" paint to stick, you will first have to sand the shell, not scuff mind you, but sand.

120 to 150 grit sandpaper works very well.

To properly sand your 26 foot Airstream, plan on spending about 25 to 30 hours, to do it properly. Then you can coat the shell with an epoxy primer, and let it age for a few days.

Then, you can paint by hand, by roller, or with whatever tool you wish, and the paint will proper adhere to the primer.

How the paint will last in time, in the sun, with respect to not turning dull, depends on the paint quality you chose to use.

If you don not prep the shell correctly, your paint job, no matter what kind of paint you may use, will have a short life.

Lastly DO NOT apply acid of any kind to the shell.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:03 PM   #6
New Member
 
1977 Argosy 24
1999 35' XL 355 w/slide
narrows , virginia
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
A 1960 Airstream did not have the clearcoat on it. Perhaps a former owner had it painted.

There are numerous and extensive posts in this Forums about painting, and how you should do the job, from A to Z.

But, try to establish where the leaks are, and put together a game plan of how to fix them.

If your coach has "jalousie windows" you should consider replacing them since they leak, and there is nothing you can do to stop it, short of different or no windows in that area.

Andy

Andy
stephanie... I am in the process of restoring an argosy. I used airplane stripper and it looked so beautiful I decieded to consider just buffing it. It is georgeous..the parts that were not aluminum I am still working on. I would suggest which requires the least amount of work and no sanding..first get rid of that leak.Buff what you can to look beautiful easy job...parts that dont come out good.. Well use your purple paint as an accent color..splash here or there make a few sketches and go from there..with the quality of aluminum check the restoration polish page and go for it.dogpatch
__________________

__________________
dogfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Painting name on vintage Airstream Grand Master General Repair Forum 75 10-18-2008 06:30 AM
Painting an Airstream? Airstreamer67 Clearcoat, Exterior Paint & Trim 9 10-28-2007 08:13 PM
Painting Airstream Roswell Clearcoat, Exterior Paint & Trim 14 09-01-2004 01:04 PM
Un-Painting an Airstream swebster Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing 4 06-18-2003 06:24 PM
Painting your Airstream jkleven Clearcoat, Exterior Paint & Trim 25 07-18-2002 04:32 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.