Old 08-17-2004, 08:01 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
Painting airstream red!

I just LOVE this picture -attached- of a red Vagabon. I would love to have my 71 Overlander painted red. Did Airstream ever paint their home different colors?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7249Vagabond.jpg
Views:	736
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	8394  

happier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 08:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Don't worry, be Happier...

Oh My...

Please run to an Army Surplus store, buy a military Flak Jacket, and strap it on... You are likely to receive some very passionate messages about your idea to paint the Airstream red... ( I can hardly wait..)

Answer to question, though, is no.. Airstream brand trailers came in bare-looking aluminum finish (actually satin finish, with clear coat sealer) and have since Wally took over assets from Bowlus in 1935. The Argosy brand trailers made by Airstram Inc were painted a light ivory color, over aluminum and steel sheet shells. I've seen Argosy's painted gloss white (kinda cool) and various shades of ivory, tan, beige and light brown, but never red...

Many owners are passionate about tradition and preservation, and it's safe to say you'd be giving up chance to win "Most Original Trailer" at a vintage Airstream even if you painted red. Many here feel even upgrading appliances is questionable conduct... I feel owners are entitled to "decorate" their assets in the way that makes them feel good, and if you like the red look, then go for it... (It will probably have negative impact on resale value, but hey, most of us aren't planning on selling out toys anytime soon...

If you choose to do it, consider consulting shop that paints aluminum boats or aircraft, as aluminum requires some special prep, and polyurethane paint is much more durable once installed, but requires special skills... Once on, it will take powerful chemical strip or bead blasting to get it off...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 08:16 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member
1961 26' Overlander
Gabriola Island , British Columbia
Paint it yellow and call it the yellow submarine.
greg176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 08:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
screw it do it
summerkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 08:51 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member
painting Airstream red

It seems to me that many po's failed to stay true to the original and forced the new owner to be creative with their repairs.
Simple upkeep would have been great- like maybe fixing leaks when the first appear.
Since I've never been one to follow the crowd, I want my trailer to please me. I can just see it now - Red Suburban pulling a red Airtream. A nice deep red. The shiny aluminum look is great for some but I'd rather be noticed and remembered. Plus, I'm not into polishing and the upkeep associated with it. Who know if I'll ever do it, but I can always dream and wish.

And again, I JUST LOVE THE RED VAGABOND! I also love the red interior of of this home - a Spartan I saw somewhere on the web.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:56 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member
picture didn't post - wrong format
Old 08-17-2004, 09:01 PM   #7
Site Team
, Minnesota
I like that idea better than an airstream with two huge slices of bread sticking out the top.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 09:04 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Well if you do paint yours red then don't be surprised when you gain a new nickname, "Red"
Just adding my 2 worth

John G
1975 31ft Sovereign International
........Rear Bath Double Bed Model
Tow Vehicle:1999 GMC Serria SLE Classic 1500 5.7Ltr
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 09:10 PM   #9
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
I like it! Go for it!

AIR 2053 Current: 2006 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis, & 1995 Coachmen B-van
Former Airstreams: 1953 Flying Cloud, 1957 Overlander, 1961 Bambi, 1970 Safari Special, 1978 Argosy Minuet, 1985 325 Moho, 1994 Limited 34' Two-door, 1994 B190 "B-Van"
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 09:13 PM   #10
Rivet Master
1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
i wonder whether that red slip from the farbelism airstream is still available, just for interior decor
summerkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 05:22 AM   #11
I think it would look great! Although I think the aluminum looks good in the factory finished and highly polished you might just start a new trend. Do it!
Old 08-18-2004, 06:37 AM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
I think if it were me considering something like this, I would take a digital photo of my trailer from the side, front and back.

I'd then color it in Photoshop, and use it as my desktop picture for a month.

That way, I'd be looking at this fire engine that used to be my trailer day in, and day out. Would I reeeally like it red? Or was this a passing curiosity that would eventually wear off? I'd have a much better idea after mocking it up.

There's another "line" of thinking you could consider: some kind of red band or graphic that would obscure much of the trailer, making it very unique, but not necessarily the whole thing. Try it out on the computer first! You've got nothing to lose.

And for the record: I totally drool all over myself seeing that Vagabond as well. That particular example is one the most beautiful things I've ever seen. It's that delicate color that does it - a dusty, Frank Lloyd Wright-in-Arizona-esque red. Cherokee red, I think he called it. It just works.
bredlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 06:47 AM   #13
Rivet Master
LOST , Hawaii
Depending on where you live/travel I would consider how hot it might get painting it red. Get a couple of squares of aluminum and paint one, see if there is a lot of difference in temp when they are in the sun. Nearly all rvs are painted a light color except for some of the big busses and they have 5 or 6 acs.

74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 06:50 AM   #14
Rivet Master
1993 30' Excella
chicagoland , north of cheddar curtain
are you italian? could call it the spaghetti hilton...oh....maybe invite paris hilton over.....ah, how about the little red cathouse.....ah..this is great fun....are my creative juices flowing...... .......and dont park it in a pasture inhabited by a bull ...peta would be on your tush for cruelty to animals....ROTFLMAO......

Illegitimous noncarborundum(dont let the bastards wear you down)

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote