Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2002, 06:18 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Brevard , North Carolina
Thumbs up Paint Removal from side of A/S

I hate to start another thread just after my windows one but ...has anyone ever removed acrylic paint from the aluminum exterior of the A/S? Some kid painted a scene about 18" square on the side of ours of palm trees and spray graffiti remover which is supposed to take off acrylic paint only smeared it a bit. I hesitate to use paint remover and may have to go to a heat gun but thought I would ask first.

I also tried acetone, mineral spirits, goof-off and polish remover but nothing budges it. I really don't want to sand it! It's been there a while. I am open to all ideas.
Old 08-18-2002, 09:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Exclamation The big question is...does your trailer have clear coat on it?

If it does, this would greatly limit the paint strippers you could use without effecting/damaging the clear coat.

That being said, if it doesn't, Klean Strip Aircraft Stripper should work just fine. If your trailer does have clear coat, this product will also remove it...which you would not want to do unless you were planning on removing it from everywhere....a major job!

Another stripper that works well is Bix. Bix can be found at a Home Depot type store, the Aircraft Stripper at Auto Zone, Checker Auto Parts, etc.

Good luck with whatever you decide to try...always wear gloves & follow all label instructions.

Shari

P.S. We have a page on our website specifically addressing our findings on different strippers in the "During" section...
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 07:03 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Smile

Just a comment on your opening remark - Please don't hate to start new threads!! It's what keeps this site alive, and interesting. There are many members afraid to start them,as they might feel foolish. Please feel free to ask any question you might have, I do, and it helps me so I guess it probably will help someone else out there also.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote