Old 05-22-2015, 02:42 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
1968 30' Sovereign
Birch Run , Michigan
Paint Colors

I'm finishing an off frame rebuild of a '68 International Sovereign. Just bought new fridge, exhaust fan, and vent piping covers. They came in primered...No big deal but does anyone know what color they should be? My old ones were a creamy white over a green primer.. but I'm not sure they were not white and faded over the years.... Any Ideas?

Ronbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 07:02 AM   #2
The Sign Lady
1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Victoria , British Columbia
Hi Ronbo, most of mine had worn to a mostly white as well, but with some silver still evident. I primed with an etching primer and painted them with aluminium coloured spray paint and they blend perfectly on to the body now.

The reason I re-primed is I handled the covers quite a bit while rounding out edges matching existing holes etc... So I didn't want the paint to fail because of my greasy finger prints plus I have my doubts about the quality of primer so I gave the casts an overall slight sanding and a wash before painting

Sign Lady tip for the day...sand all of the new covers current sharp 90 degree edges so they are slightly rounded. Paint fails first at sharp corners so it will prolong your paint job :-)

And you'll likely put smear marks in the finish of your caps with whatever sealant you use when you are riveting. Just mask it off in place after it has cured and spray another fine topcoat. ( I used grey sitkaflex 221 as my sealant when riveting )
thesignlady is offline   Reply With Quote