Old 03-12-2008, 10:32 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
Orlando , Florida
Oops Need some help w/ stripping paint

Hey guys. I am new and just bought an Argosy two days ago. I would like to strip the paint and read and researched about strippers. I decided to use the Aircraft b/c it was available at my local Advance Auto. I tested it on a section of the Argosy with great results below center trim and almost nothing above the trim. I put it on and washed it off. Tried again. Almost nothing. I will probably end up polishing it (I know about the endcaps and the fact its a painted Argosy) due to elbow grease vs. money. I have the time and strength to expend but not the money. I would like some advice for stripping the upper portion of the argosy and also around the windows? I know not to get it on plastic and seals but will it hurt any of the joints between sheets, sheet to window, or anything? Please help THANK YOU

Old 03-13-2008, 08:18 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
Orlando , Florida
Pics

I think I posted this under the wrong thread... But I managed to get the rear corner done with no results above the trim I have a pic where you can see the stripped paint below but with only like slight discoloration on top.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Comp.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	56143  

Old 03-13-2008, 08:28 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by basecmp
I think I posted this under the wrong thread... But I managed to get the rear corner done with no results above the trim I have a pic where you can see the stripped paint below but with only like slight discoloration on top.
I don't know about Argosy paint, but I have had great results getting the clear coat off Airstreams with Bix Stripper, available at HD. Admittedly the clear coat was already very weak and patchy, so maybe the Bix isn't as strong as it seems.

Zep
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote