Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2017, 11:05 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 22
San Bruno , California
NorCal 1973 Argosy, paint recommendations?

Hello All,

I live in the SF Bay area, and looking for suggestions where to get my 1973, 22' Argosy painted? Minor body work, too.

Thank you!

bozo Dave
Bozo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 04:42 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Monroe , Michigan
Dave,

I also have an Argosy and was hoping you would get a reply from someone who has had an Argosy for a while. I am new to the Argosy as of March and we are looking at a paint job maybe next year. I will be doing the work myself. Is that an option for you?

We have a trillium (fiberglass) that we got professionally painted by a auto painter who said that they do it but are not a top-quality painter. We were extremely pleased as they did inside and out for our small trailer for around $700 3 years ago. I think it was one of those Maaco paint places that have a taller garage. Not of them in my area did campers, even small ones.

I'm wondering what kind of paint to use and what color? Just curious as to what you are thinking for paint colors?
~1975 Trillium 13'
...to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ
Katty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:26 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Look for an airport with maintenance facilities.
Some have facilities for painting aluminum airplanes.
Which means they have experience in dealing with a riveted shell.
A regional airport or aircraft training center would be better than SFO.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:36 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 22
San Bruno , California
reply to Katty, re: Argosy paint job

Hello Katty, we had our Argosy painted at a Maaco Shop here in Northern California, that has the capacity to do trailers, large trucks, etc. (similar to your description). I am a rookie. First trailer. I've learned a lot after spending a year restoring our 1973 22' Argosy, a little at a time. I began after retiring. The Argosy had been sitting for over 10 years. I relied on my brother-in-law to spearhead each project along the way. He is great! In the end, I splurged for the last stage: and paid for a lot of body work and full exterior paint job to finish the long project. My choice was to try and replicate the original colors. I merely chose from Maaco's color schemes. Basically two variations of cream (for upper & lower), trying to come close to the original.
My original post was a year ago, when we first started. The paint job was completed this past March. My wife and I have been on two trips. We are part-time RV'ers, but love our Argosy. I'm pleased and proud of how the finished product came out.

Of course prices are relative to region. We are in California.
The complete exterior paint job was $2,900.

In the pictures posted (original, before, after). The original photo is from the owner's manual. Note that the tow vehicle is a 1973 Cadillac ...ha! Ours is a Ford F-150.

I hope to have been of some help. I wish you the best!

I am also a rookie at these posts, so I hope everything came across okay.
If the pictures did not load correctly, I'll send directly via email: daveattheclub2yahoo.com

Cheers,
Bozo Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Original.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	317481   Click image for larger version

Name:	Before.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	317482  

Click image for larger version

Name:	After.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	317483  
Bozo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 12:14 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Nicely done!!!
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote