Old 07-22-2005, 05:31 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1972 25' Tradewind
Lake Worth , Florida
Send a message via AIM to RiskIt Send a message via Yahoo to RiskIt
Need help w/ rub rail

Hello, I rebuilt my 1972 25' last yr. and when I was putting it all back together after polishing my neighbor (by accident) threw-out my bottom rub rail. I have the pieces to go around the tires and thats it. Where can I find this....? I've seen other trailers and there rails look very close just painted white. I thought I could just use paint stripper but before I went that way was looking to see what else might be out there. As you can think this is very upsetting... I went down to the frame, redid the inside, polished it the whole nine and then I lose a major piece. If anyone has a A/S they are using for parts and would like to deal PLEASE let me know.
Thank you all

RiskIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 01:27 AM   #2
Rivet Master
1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
I have a 1973 31' and I managed to step on a piece of my molding and bent it up pretty good. In checking around I was not able to located a source for new molding. Andy at Inland RV told me that the factory stopped making something like 15 years ago. There is a thread where I asked about it as follows:

herbigrf mentioned in post #13 that he got a whole new set from the Airstream dealer in Eugene, Oregon for his 1978 AS. Andy mentioned, however, in the same thread that the type of molding we have was last used in 1973.

I wonder what it would cost to have a a die made and some molding extruded? I for one would like to have a whole new set if cost was not prohibitive. I wonder how many other people we could find that would like some?

malconium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 07:12 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member
1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
I would recommend Colaw RV Salvage out of Carthage, MO. I visited there when we were close by at the International. They have TONS of Airstream parts. Most of their trailers are the longer ones, so you could find plenty of long lengths of rub rail to work with on yours. IIRC, the rub rail changed between '72 and '73 with the later being the type with the plastic insert.
Dallas Peak, MD 'That 70's Guy!'
VAC 1VP President
AIR #9
.-- ----. -.-. -.. -.-.
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 09:52 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member
1972 25' Tradewind
Lake Worth , Florida
Send a message via AIM to RiskIt Send a message via Yahoo to RiskIt
The salvage place might work (web site was down when I checked). I'm not worried about keeping it original as I've changed alot anyway. I do need it to be the same width. Like I said I polished my trailer and you can see where it used to be... so I'll need to fill up that spot. Does anyone know about the place in S.C., it's off 95 pretty south almost in G.A.. I've driven by a few times and they have some older A/S in a field. Didn't know if they sold parts or not. I live in West Palm now and head back to NH (along 95) alot. I had already put the rail on the top/middle of the trailer (still don't have anything in the center of it). and just thought I'd paint both at the same time.
Thanks again
RiskIt is offline   Reply With Quote

« Por-15 | Top | Recoating »