Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Clearcoat, Exterior Paint & Trim
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-25-2006, 10:18 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Denham Springs , Louisiana
Logo repair and repaint

My logos are pitted and corroded, as well as lacking of paint. How have you guys contended with this issue? I can handle repainting, but what about the pitting? Also was there paint on the international logos from 1970, or was it all chrome?
Greg
gparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 01:02 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Welcome to "Pot Metal"

gpaker,

Welcome to the world of "Pot Metal". The only "true" way to fix your problem would be to send the logos off to a chrome shop to be reworked and chromed, then if I remember, the flat spot along the outside edge was painted blue. So in the end you would have the name "International" in chrome, outlined in blue paint, outlined in chrome again along the outer edge. Not sure on the price, but I'd say about $250.00 or so depending how bad they are pitted. If you plan to go this route, look at "Hemmings Motor News" you will find lots of places that offer this service. Be careful pulling them off. I think they have tabs that can only be access from the inside, like the old logos on the 60's/70's era cars. I could be wrong on this, but I don't think I am.

Now you just have to ask yourself, is it worth it?

Paul Waddell
WDCU 1stVP (to be impeached)
rideair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 06:42 AM   #3

1972 29' Ambassador
Golden Valley , Minnesota
Logo Repair

Hi:

We have a '72 Ambassador. Our logos had the paint because there is still remants of the blue and red on them. We, too, are looking for info. regarding the paint colors and where to find them. Thanks in advance for any info.

Elljay
elljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 09:10 AM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I use the basic rustoleum paint in close matching colors, safety red, and one of the brighter blues (can't recall the name right off hand) if the chrome is pitted I would clean it up and use a "chrome" paint rather than spending the money for rechroming.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 09:20 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Columbia , South Carolina
Hey, just this week end I was at a local RV service and supply place that I use and he has 4 scrap and I mean scrap AS on his lot. They are stripped down to the outer skin only. After rummaging through the AS I found some old plates and letters some one pulled off and put inside one of them. To make a long story short I found a few of these plats and I am not sure what age they are (they look just like mine on my 73 Overlander paint and all the same) but they were attached with 6 stationary bolts permanently affixed to the plate and then a nut was places on the screw from inside (just as rideair stated) and caulked or covered with what ever sealant they used. I am with rideair unless you can easily get to them from the inside I do not think that it is worth trying to take them off. Maybe an auto body shop could refurbish it while still on your AS??
McLogger is offline   Reply With Quote