Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Clearcoat, Exterior Paint & Trim
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-22-2003, 08:49 AM   #1
nds
3 Rivet Member

Installing roof AC. Need a sealant

A friend is getting ready to install a new 13,500 BTU Penguin in his 23' Safari this week.

I know that Vulkem is the recommended sealant to use, but we can't locate any in Central Kentucky and he hasn't the time to order it. Is there another brand, easily obtainable, that is recommended?

I've seen people post that silicone sealant shouldn't be used on an Airstream. Does this go for any silicone based product?

I've tried searching for Alcoa Gutter Seal and Parbond and can't locate that locally either. They sure don't want to make this easy on you, do they?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
nds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 08:58 AM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
If it is the new penguin model there is no vulcem or silicone necessary. The AC unit comes with a compressable closed cell foam gasket attached to the bottom of the AC unit. This foam gasket is all that is needed to seal it to the roof.
The compression of the 3 bolts thru to the interior not only hold it on, but create the seal. If there was a prior unit there I would try to get the skin as free of old sealant or debris as possible and go from there. No if you are using an Airstream drain pan and then placing the AC in it I can't help. I do not know what is there on the pan, or if you need a sealant at all.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 09:21 AM   #3
nds
3 Rivet Member

Yes, this is a new Penguin AC unit and he has the Airstream drain pan to go with it.

This is a first time AC installation (he will be cutting the hole in the ceiling for it) and not a replacement.

He does have Sonneborn NP-1, a one part urethane sealant, same as Vulkem. Has anyone ever heard of this product and will it do the job?
Old 07-22-2003, 09:27 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Installing roof AC. Need a sealant

The installation here is with the Airstream drain pan, and so the sealant application is between the drain pan and the roof skin. I agree the compressable foam on the unit itself (Penguin 13,500 BTU) does not need a sealant application. The product I am looking to use, since I can not find Vulkem anywhere in central Kentucky, is Sonneborn NP-1, also a one part urethane sealant. If anyone has a reason this would be inadvisable, please let me know, Thanks.

Brian Sawyer
Lexington, KY
'70 Safari
Old 07-22-2003, 09:57 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
NP1 is different than Vulkem. Not exactly sure how but there is a difference. Vulkem has a texture to it and seems to behave differently than Vulkem. It is made by Tremco and am surprised that you can't find it locally. Go Google and get Tremco's website, it will have the dealers in your area.

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 11:14 AM   #6
nds
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Chas
Vulkem has a texture to it and seems to behave differently than Vulkem.
You mean the NP1 has a different texture to it? You don't think NP1 would be good for this application?

I did see there were 2 places in Louisville that are suppose to carry Vulkem. We'll see what they say. Thanks

If anyone else has any thoughts on this, we would like to hear. Thanks.
Old 07-22-2003, 03:47 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

NDS i did a first time A/C installation on my 71 Tradewind and did not need to use any sealant other than the seal that comes with the A/C unit itself. 4 years and no leaks !
71tradewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 06:30 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Hello Tradewind,
The sealant is for the drain pan installation. The AC unit itself does have the foam gasket and does not sealant.

bds
Old 07-22-2003, 06:33 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Wink

Ahhhhh Ok now i understand !
71tradewind is offline   Reply With Quote