Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2018, 11:01 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Question Install 1' Blue Rub Rail Vinyl

1995 Sovereign 21 - Dumb question probably, but does the 1" blue rub rail vinyl insert just snap into the rub rail channel or does it have to be slid in from one end or the other?

I see some references in the forum about sealing the top edge. How critical is that step to preventing leaks? I'm trying to get her spruced up with the idea of possibly putting her up for sale this Spring.

Most of our traveling now is to visit daughter stationed in Germany and grands and to my knowledge, tow vehicles and AS trailers do not float well.
zmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 03:06 AM   #2
"Hey, I know you!"

Chapin , South Carolina
I just put the bottom lip into the lower track a foot or so at a time and then pinch the vinyl down enough to slip it into the top track - then move on down the line and do a little more. No need to try to feed the whole thing in at one end and then tug it around.
As far as sealing the top edge, that's referring to the top of the top metal insert track, not the top edge of the vinyl. If you're planning on selling, you could leave that job to the next owner - if done properly, it isn't even noticeable as an improvement.
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 07:36 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Do not stretch vinyl when installing as it will shrink at ends after awhile, to install do as Boog posted. I have installed many feet of small and larger vinyl, that is way I install.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 06:43 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Thanks, Guys

Thanks guys. That's what I thought, but didn't want to get deep into trying only to find I was doing it wrong. Guess I'll go ahead and order the blue vinyl strip (50' will give me more than I need.) and get it done while the weather is still cold/cool so that hot temps will not lead me to the shrinking problem.

I hate to sell my rig, but we're not using it like we should be and my tow vehicle is getting close to 200K miles and I don't want to get off on a long trip and have issues with it. Guess my Newfoundland and Alaska trips are going to go in the "wish I'd done that" bin and she deserves to have someone enjoying the get-aways and go see it opportunities and becoming a hanger queen.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:35 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Huntsville , Alabama
As the other posters say about installing one side then pinching to get the other. I've got a 1" rounded edge putty knife that I use to help get it in track also. If you haven't looked on ebay for the replacement check it out. Cheaper than dealers.
Streamracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 09:40 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I tried 3M blue reflective tape. Looks good, adds night visibility and so far has stayed put.

Also if your belt line insert has faded. I painted mine with a spray can of Chrysler Blue engine enamel, exact match to the original.
Old 02-17-2018, 01:30 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lexington , Kentucky
Cut it long

We put some in as mentioned above and it went in fine...
HOWEVER it shrank about an inch from each end....maybe I stretched it!?!
We ordered some more for another area and this time cut it 2 inches longer at each end and will let it "settle" for about 2 months before final trim.
Actually haven't trimmed it yet and it's been on 4 months through the winter.
The Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 02:35 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
1976 25' Caravanner
trenton , Missouri
The biggest problem is with a 20+ year old trailer is the rub rail has likely been rubbed a couple of times. Difficult to straighten out and install the insert.
bimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 08:28 AM   #9

2015 30' Classic
London , Ontario
For easiest installation, use a bucket of warm / hot water. Insert bottom and then use a Popsicle stick to snap in top edge. Leave 2 or 3 inches at each end to allow it to contract, then put your end caps on after a few weeks if possible. Most of the contraction happens within the first couple of days so if you are selling it, it can finish off.

I have install thousands of feet of this over my lifetime.
Towit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 07:19 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB International
Midlothian , Texas
Is the rail part of the water right envelope? Ours just fell off in two sections and we are about to head out for a trip. I was hoping i could just remove it and find a replacement in the next week or two. It’s a 2015 if that helps.
Slow roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 08:29 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Ormond Beach , Florida
Lit Vinyl Trim

Has anyone though of/tried putting in an EL wire or LED strip in underneath the rub rail insert to make it backlit? I was going to try this and was looking for pointers.
Blucolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 07:39 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Modesto , California
Can you give me the best place to buy it from?
HaulingHalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 06:12 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

service@vintagetrailersupply.com <service@vintagetrailersupply.com>
Sent: Saturday, February 24, 2018 10:06 AM
To:
Subject: Vintage Trailer Supply Order Confirmation

Vintage Travel Trailer Accessories | Airstream Restoration Parts
www.vintagetrailersupply.com
Looking for hard-to-find vintage trailer parts & accessories? Vintage Trailer Supply has everything you need to restore and renovate your trailer. Shop now!
CustomerID# 112694

Thank you for your order number XXXXXX, placed 02/24/2018 at 11:06AM.

Fully in-stock orders typically ship within 2 business days. Please call us if you have a time-sensitive order so that we can meet your expectations.

Payment Info:

PayPal Express

Shipping Method:

USPS Priority Mail
Order Details:

Code Item Qty Price Grand Total VTS-1001 Blue Insert Trim Mouldings
[Vinyl Insert Options:Blue 1" Exposed (50' Pkg)] 1 $64.50 $64.50 Subtotal: $64.50 Tax: $0.00 Shipping Cost: $8.86 Grand Total: $73.36

Order Comments: This is for the 1" (exposed) blue vinyl (rub rail?) molding insert in a 50' roll for a 1992 Sovereign 21 trailer.
  • When your order ships we'll send you another email.
  • If you have any questions about your order, please reply to this email.

Thank you for shopping at Vintage Trailer Supply!
Please visit us again at https://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/

Hope this helps and it's not too late to do you any good. I've sold my little Sovereign and just ran into your inquiry by accident.
Old 12-28-2019, 07:08 PM   #14
Put a bird on it!

1976 Argosy 20
SANTA BARBARA , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blucolt View Post
Has anyone though of/tried putting in an EL wire or LED strip in underneath the rub rail insert to make it backlit? I was going to try this and was looking for pointers.
Hi, I was thinking the same, did you try it?

Thanks!
SilverSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 07:09 PM   #15
Put a bird on it!

1976 Argosy 20
SANTA BARBARA , California
Sounds cool, did you try it?
SilverSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 05:12 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Smile Lit Vinyl Trim (Rub Rail)

The blue vinyl trim I installed on my Sovereign was opaque and would most likely not let any light shine through. Some perforations would probably be required. I like the idea, however.