Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Clearcoat, Exterior Paint & Trim
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-13-2012, 08:06 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
I'm thinking vinyl wrap on my Argosy

For my exterior restoration, I have considered a respray. In spite of the fact that my Uncle is an automotive painter, and I'll get the zero cost family discount...the materials are really expensive. So, I have began consideration of a 1/2 vinyl wrap. Im thinking of polishing the lower half and creating a stylish upper wrap in a dark charcoal. Am I crazy? Will this work and or has anyone seen it or done it themselves?
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
WOW. I can imagine that being VERY cool looking.

You might want to consider reversing the colour scheme. Dark Charcoal will probably retain heat.

I am surprised that vinyl wrap would cost less than paint, even knowing how expensive good quality automotive finishes can be.

Charcoal seems a very Airstream colour to me.

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Ive got a buddy who owns an auto wrap biz and I trade commercial printing for his vinyl work for some of my clients. Just wondering if anyone has seen it or done it...hmmmm my wheels are turning now. I was thinking of stylizing it with a ghosted airstream argosy across the length of the trailer about 3 feet high.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:55 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Our son has a large format printer at work that prints on vinyl (for vehicle wraps) and paper rolls (for trade show banners). The company he works for prints their logo and advertising on vinyl to wrap their delivery trucks and company cars. It's a lot cheaper to make those in-house, but it's expensive if you pay to have a wrap produced and installed/applied.

He has offered to print our vacation photos and wrap the flat side panels of our Bambi, and we have thought about using Photoshop to do the layout ourselves. Then, he could print the file and have his guys apply the wrap. He says that the vinyl doesn't damage the underlying paint or other finish, and it is easy to remove. However, we have been hesitant to follow through on this project.

The possibility of someone pacing our Bambi on the highway at 60 mph, looking at a huge scene of our Airstream next to a stream in the woods, or parked on the seashore with the Golden Gate Bridge in the background, then accidentally bumping us from the side or forcing us off the road, bothers me. Probably not a serious concern, but one of the company trucks was almost involved in a gawking/side-swiping incident on city streets.

It would be neat to have smaller pictures on the outside of our Bambi, like a photo album; so we could show other campers all of the places we've been.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:46 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Designing a vinyl wrap to put a mural on an Airstream sounds like this could open lots of possibilities. I see this application all the time on commercial vehicles so it seems to hold up well to weather and highway speeds. The question that comes to mind as how it will do covering rivets?
Old 07-14-2012, 06:37 AM   #6
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Finally a method to stop the leaks!

Shrink wrap the whole thing!

For me 34" is a lot of vehicle wrap!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:42 PM   #7

1968 26' Overlander
San Carlos , California
I am thinking about also vinly wrapping my airstream. my mechanic said it will cover up any dings and dents and make it look very clean. I will be using my airstream for commercial purposes so i would print my logo and website on the exterior of the airstream.
I didn't like the idea of vinyl wrapping at first. I found these pictures of a vinyl wrapped airstream and i think it looks amazing.
The Style.com Airstream Has Arrived: style file: daily fashion, party, and model news
FNO: Martin + Osa and Style.com: style file: daily fashion, party, and model news
Case Study Details -
Polished is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Interesting...I love the look too, but they painted both ends. I wonder if its possible to wrap the whole thing with the compound curves?
Old 07-16-2012, 08:50 PM   #9
Certifiable

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrunes View Post
Interesting...I love the look too, but they painted both ends. I wonder if its possible to wrap the whole thing with the compound curves?
Check this out from 7 years ago.

http://www.cusslermen.com/images/Mov...thew/camp3.jpg
Old 07-16-2012, 09:00 PM   #10
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Then of course there's the Little Debbie trailer, they did it as a contest and I remember thinking who's going to want that? But it was removable.

Little Debbie Million - Win An Airstream Trailer worth $34,601 | SweepstakesBible

And if they can wrap this , they can certainly do an endcap!
Justin Bieber’s New Chrome Car | Fisker Karma | Celebrity Carz | Celebrity Cars Blog
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:52 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Thousand Oaks , California
Anything can be wrapped. The NASCAR racing teams wrap the "bodies in white". Cheaper than paint and you can get a chrome wrap if you so desire.
SoCal Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:02 PM   #12
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
I just saw this new product by Alsa....it's a paintable wrap that's easily removable at any point in the future. Sounds too good to be true but cool if it works like they say.....

Alsa Corp | Paint Wrap

I have no experience with this company nor have I purchased any of their products but it's a cool website to look at.
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:21 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Jersey Shore Haven , Pennsylvania
Ok, this seem like a silly question, but if you wrapped an Airstream, would it seal any imperfections that may cause a leak ? Did a second look at a 74 Overlander after a rain and there was moisture behind the front couch. Unknown entry point, tho the marker lights had water in them.
JF83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:45 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Has anyone seen the fishing show where the guy is a fly fisher and has a Rainbow Trout on the side of it? Yes, it is a Airstream
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:58 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Little Debbie trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinergirl View Post
Then of course there's the Little Debbie trailer, they did it as a contest and I remember thinking who's going to want that? But it was removable.
Little Debbie Million - Win An Airstream Trailer worth $34,601 | SweepstakesBible
And if they can wrap this , they can certainly do an endcap!
Justin Bieber’s New Chrome Car | Fisker Karma | Celebrity Carz | Celebrity Cars Blog
I know where that trailer is. It is owned by friends who are on these forums. It looks absolutely beautiful...but no more wrap.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:42 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Fascinating idea to wrap an airstream. I have not seen the rainbow trout one. Really cool idea about leaks.... Interested to hear more!!!
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:47 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Does anyone have any idea if the cost?
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:23 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Scottsdale , Arizona
I'm also thinking about doing this since I'll be full timing as a Life Coach/Clinical Hypnotherapist/Holistic Nutritionist. I like this style below. The cost is over 2K I would imagine. The wrap we see on the roads are paid for by the company and they pay the car owner based on how many miles they drive. I did some research a few years ago for a car and it was very expensive.

I like the spray idea and then add graphics somehow. It might be a cheaper way to go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wrap.jpg
Views:	675
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	163899  

'58 Shasta Canned Ham
silverwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:04 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 28
Tampa , Florida
Before painting my Argosy met with a guy who does professional wraps and his price was $6 to $8 a square ft, in Orlando, FL.

He had done several city food trucks with some pretty wild designs so I verified that it was for quality work.
inTransit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:12 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
Brooksville , Florida
I was thinking of wrapping my Argosy in woodland camo, anybody ever had that idea, How was the cost compare to painting? And longevity?
DFDureiko is offline   Reply With Quote