Old 08-12-2005, 10:55 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Hi Charcigar;

There was white in the name plate - The word landyacht and the serial numbers where actually white - the rest was the Airstream Blue and the plaquard was a gray colour. Although the one above is nice they were not shinny or brushed aluminum textured - they were in fact quite cheaply made and can still be made today by your standard signage store.

With a steady hand and the right brush you can do the letter painting by hand without all the fuss of spraying in several different layers. Have not done ours yet but it seems to be a fairly simple process.

Good luck with the project. Not sure I would rivet them in - takes away from the original look.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nameplate.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	13964  

Old 08-13-2005, 08:42 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Coquitlam , Beautiful BC
Thanks SO much GT!That's EXACTLY the info I was looking for.I knew there was some white on there somewhere.Is the photo of the one you took original,or has it been touched up at some point?

Do you think there was any chance of the "SAFARI"(or in your case"GLOBETROTTER") part of the lettering being white as well?I am talking about the recessed model lettering.

I am not removing the plate to paint it,so there will be no need to rivet it back on.I agree,it doesn't look right done that way at all.

Old 08-13-2005, 09:01 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Armada , Michigan
No, I'm pretty sure the model name letters were in blue. The word "Safari" on ours has blue in it. I JUST looked. Also, the edges of the plate are blue too.

And I agree, don't remove it.
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charcigar
Thanks SO much GT!That's EXACTLY the info I was looking for.I knew there was some white on there somewhere.Is the photo of the one you took original,or has it been touched up at some point?

Do you think there was any chance of the "SAFARI"(or in your case"GLOBETROTTER") part of the lettering being white as well?I am talking about the recessed model lettering.

I am not removing the plate to paint it,so there will be no need to rivet it back on.I agree,it doesn't look right done that way at all.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:07 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Coquitlam , Beautiful BC
Thanks for checking John.....do your believe your nameplate's condition to be original,or has someone painted it since '66?'Cus if's it's original,then that confirms the recessed letters were indeed painted Airstream blue.

Would you mind checking again to see if you have any paint remnants in the recessed "AIRSTREAM" letters?I'm curious if that had any color to begin with as well.

I'm really wanting to get this painted according to factory specs.

Thanks!
Old 08-13-2005, 09:19 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Armada , Michigan
Oh, ours is certainly original. It wasn't "restored" or "renovated" when we got it. That's my job right now. It hasn't been touched, the plate that is, since 1966, I'm certain.

John
Old 08-13-2005, 05:22 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Sorry could not reply yesterday - I have had problems with tel line and internet connection on and off for about a week now - very frustrating since I "live here at the forums" yikes!!!!

Yes the picture of the name plate is original and has not been restored...yet!

The word Globe Trotter is indeed blue along with the far left leterting as well. There are two plates - stuck onto the trailer - with some pretty excellent double edge tape - or adhesive.

We will be taking ours off to get the job done right - but will not be riveting back - there are some amazing products out there that can handle the job of sticking it back on no problem - and hopefully ours will go on straight this time as it went on just slightly off at the factory 35 years ago

Did you need any other pics - I could try and take some real close ups for you if need be???

Good luck with your restoration.
Old 08-13-2005, 06:14 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Coquitlam , Beautiful BC
GT..thanks so much.All these replies are really helping me to do this correctly the first time.

One question for ya....when you mention the "far left" lettering also being blue....are you referring to the recessed lettering of "AIRSTREAM"??That's about the only section I still have a question about.

Thanks very much again!

Charlotte
Old 08-14-2005, 12:11 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
The word Globe Trotter is indeed blue along with the far left lettering as well.
.....Referring to the blue not the white

Hi Charlotte - this can get really confusing at times - especially with these good ole vintage units. They are all uniquely different.

We had a piece of wood that was in one of our cupboards - and we could not for the life of us figure out where it went....until we met someone with another 69 Globe Trotter - the item was a cupboard door stop - to prevent the door from being bashed by the dinette couch - pretty gaudy looking so we have left it off.

Well back to packing up - it has taken a week of doing a ton of little jobs again on the globe trotter readying her for our 2 week family vacation to the east coast. (All we need now is a thorough polish and service the Furnace and we will have a beauty - and I will never want to let her go
Old 08-14-2005, 08:54 PM   #23
Creampuff

1957 22' Flying Cloud
1971 31' Sovereign
1976 29' Ambassador
Malibu , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charcigar

One question for ya....when you mention the "far left" lettering also being blue....are you referring to the recessed lettering of "AIRSTREAM"??That's about the only section I still have a question about.

Thanks very much again!

Charlotte
Yes , Charlotte - the logo AIRSTREAM is painted blue on the grey plaque background. Same with SAFARI . It was the white center portion I was not sure of.
AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:29 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1993 21' Sovereign
Plano , Texas
Any suggestions on how to restore this Nameplate?
Outside Plate No Vin | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Thanks,
Keith
Old 10-06-2012, 03:34 PM   #25
Creampuff

1957 22' Flying Cloud
1971 31' Sovereign
1976 29' Ambassador
Malibu , California
Look at the reproductions from Vintage Trailer Supply. You probably can buy an exact duplicate, and save your energy for the million other restoration projects on your list.
Vintage Trailer Supply - parts and supplies for vintage travel trailers and campers!
AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:38 PM   #26
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Zed2

If you go to my blog (linked in my signature below) I restored one very similar to yours. Look at the posts from February 2012.

reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote