Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2013, 04:33 PM   #1
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Hmm.. new coating?

My one seen www.dipyourcar.com ?

I wonder how that would work for interior of outer skin??
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
hard to tell what the texture is online. id like to try a sample. apparently they sell it at H.D.

Quote:
You don't need to do much prep work at all before spraying it on almost anything including chrome. No sanding, no scuffing, nothing more usually than just an alcohol wipe down and you're good to go. And when you want to take it off, it literally just peels off like you would expect a rubber coating to do, because that's basically what it is.
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
on second thought this might be a good choice for plastic stuff in 60's and 70's trailers that have aged. or even to make a white roof like they used to do to vintage airstreams.
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
White roof - leak proof white roof - oh my!

Paula
Old 09-25-2013, 07:02 PM   #5
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I am seriously considering. I think I will build a test aluminum panel with several seams to see what happens.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:47 PM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question

"Does it really peel off? Yes, Plasti Dip® really does peel off. We always suggest a minimum of 4-5 coats, not only for durability, but to make sure it peels off in large pieces when you are ready. Check in our videos section and you will see a video showing how it peels off of wheels, etc. It will peel off even after a long period of time - however after extreme lengths of time (8-12 months), it may dry out a bit and come off in smaller pieces.

How long does Plasti Dip® last? If properly applied, Plasti Dip® will last as long as 3 years without having to be retouched. It is very durable and will not lose it's bond. The spray distance when applying as well as the amount of coats applied will heavily determine the longevity of the product. After 3 years, or during the three years if desired, a new refresher coat can be easily applied."

........ something a little more permanent, please. KBS Diamond Clear.

Bob

Bob
Old 09-25-2013, 11:36 PM   #7
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Bob Looks like the Diamond stuff mimics the Alcoa treatment???? Anyway, will read up about its flexibility. Thanks! I was thinking of the Plastidip sprayed inside the outer skin....wonder if it would seal, whether it would come off inside since low exposure to elements??? A roof application which lasts 3 years does not sound very good.

What has your experience been with the product?
Old 09-26-2013, 04:57 AM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Bob Looks like the Diamond stuff mimics the Alcoa treatment???? Anyway, will read up about its flexibility. Thanks! I was thinking of the Plastidip sprayed inside the outer skin....wonder if it would seal, whether it would come off inside since low exposure to elements??? A roof application which lasts 3 years does not sound very good.

What has your experience been with the product?
Channing,

It's under trial on the lower unit of our boat motor, if it survives there it will survive anywhere. (unpolished bare aluminum...we'll see.)

Bob
Old 09-26-2013, 08:49 AM   #9
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Channing, It's under trial on the lower unit of our boat motor, if it survives there it will survive anywhere. (unpolished bare aluminum...we'll see.) Bob
Sweeeeeeet!
Old 09-26-2013, 09:25 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Please, please keep regular updates on the Diamond test. I am thinking of using it on the interior of our 1970 which I plan to re-skin with bare aluminum. From the website description it should be flexible enough to not be bothered by the expansion/contraction due to temp variance.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:32 PM   #11
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Will do...the boats going in storage in a couple weeks so I'll continue with it next Season.

I learned about KBS back in August. Had the L/U off for service when the order arrived so I thought I'd give it a try. I used it on the torque skeg, which takes some serious stress. Only got about 10hrs of running, going to do another coat and leave if shiny next Spring. It hasn't oxidized like it has in the past, easy clean and no pealing so far.

Bob
Attached Images

Old 11-28-2013, 11:10 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
NE Central , Kansas
Has anyone used Plasti Dip on their wheels? My OEM wheels are peeling, and I need to do something. I'm curious.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:32 AM   #13

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I'm bringing this old thread back to life because I have been reading up on Plasti-Dip. I'm considering putting it on my Miata. Then the thought occurred to me that it might be a good solution for those project Argosys. I know I have seen decently priced Argosy projects and passed on them because of the expensive paint job they will require, but this looks like you could get a decent paint job in the driveway, and it would probably seal up any leaks as well. So I wondered if anyone here has tried it on anything yet?

In the car world it is getting a lot of use on wheels and car bodies. Seems like if it can hold up on wheels it must last pretty well.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:40 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
I used it on the font of my wife's Jeep, just the silver "appliqué" that fits the centre section of the front bumper. The texture etc matches the factory bumper really well. It's been on since new back in November 2012 and is unmarked right now. It wasn't much of a risk as the piece comes off and I could have just tossed it away. I think it's got it's uses but they are, as with everything, limited in some ways.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:37 PM   #15
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
I thought I would resurrect the thread again.
Reading up a bit of info, the PD folks have a primer that can be used and when the PD is then applied over top, its pretty much permanent (they say) So I am going to give it a try on the front of our Argosy.

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Carpet Cleaning is what I do, it's not who I am.
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 01:46 AM   #16
Argosy Adveture

1977 Argosy 22
Dallas , Texas
Just out of curiosity, how did it come out? I've been looking at this product too, and though it has some obvious limitations, I can't bring myself to spend the alternative $9k for a paint job on a trailer that cost $10k. It seems like this would be low cost, I could apply it, and it would at least protect the aluminum skin for a couple years without harming it. How did it work for you guys?
stevenc is offline   Reply With Quote