Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2018, 07:44 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2000 33' Land Yacht
Ball Ground , Georgia
Help with clear coat

I need serious help. My son and I are restoring a 1969 Sovereign and have stripped the inside of the vinyl. With many hours of polishing and work we have the inside shining like a mirror. Before we were to start instilling new cabinets I decided to spray the inside with automotive clear coat. My hope was to keep it looking good for years. I purchased very high quality paint, grease and wax remover etc.I sprayed it and it beaded up, ran, splotched and by far the worst job you have ever seen. After stopping and going home sick my plans was to completely re strip and start again. Today I saw a small bubble and picked at it and the clear coat pulled off in large sheets. I can remove most of it with my finger nail. The surface was completely clean so apparently the product was wroung. Can some one help me or a source of the product to use. Is clear coat eaither poly or lacquer based? Thanks

Gene and Elaine Thomason
Ball Ground Ga.
1976 31 foot Sovereign
2011 GMC 2500HD Denali
6.6 Duramax Diesel
AL’ UM- MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 07:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Look at Nylac coating.

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 08:03 PM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Nyalic

It is amazing product IMHO.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Rest assured, clear coating aluminum is a non-trivial activity. The problem is that the aluminum will generate an invisible, thin coating of oxidation super quick. This oxidation will keep most paints from sticking. Usually, you would use a primer to eat through the oxidation and give you something to stick to, but in the case of a clear coat, there is no clear primer, so you are lost.

I tried a clear coat called Diamond Brite, and it stuck to the metal well enough, but did not make the silky smooth coat that I had hoped for. All kinds of bad. Can't recommend it. The metal that Airstream uses to build trailers has a "clear coat" bonded to it at the factory (where the sheet metal is produced). It isn't something that is sprayed on after the trailer is built.

I looked at the Nyalic website, and it sounds promising, but they don't go into a lot of detail about how it works on bare aluminum, other than to say that it does.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:36 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Nyalic

I am in the final stages of using Nyalic on the outside of our 34'er. Ours is a '96, we bought it from the original owner. It sat outside, and was never taken care of as it should have been. On the radius where the sidewalls meet the roof, and across the front an back end caps, the clearcoat had major "skin cancer".
I called Nyalic and talked to Greg Parks (770-690-1480), and bought one spray can to see what it would look like......After seeng the finish across the rear cap, I ordered four more cans to complete the job......If a person had not seen the "cancerous" finish before, I think it would appear as a well taken care of "older Airstream"!

Talk to him, follow his instructions to the letter......it ain't an easy project, but it seems that it'll do everything he says.....

Good luck,
Larry
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:09 PM   #6
Bob

2008 30' Classic
Orland Park , Illinois
Checkout Sharkhide!

Check this product out as well.

You "wipe" this on with a cotton soft diaper, clean diaper of course...

Dries in minutes if not seconds and lasts really, really well. Originally formulated for pontoons on pontoon boats. Works on all sorts of metals.

Great product with a bunch of uses!

http://www.sharkhide.com/sharkhide_metal_protectant.htm
flyerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 06:32 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2000 33' Land Yacht
Ball Ground , Georgia
Thanks

Larry, thank you for the post, come to find out the company is located about 20 miles from the house so I plan to pay them a visit. I will let folks know what I find out. Probably not the first to do something dumb like this and want a shiny interior.

Gene and Elaine Thomason
Ball Ground Ga.
1976 31 foot Sovereign
2011 GMC 2500HD Denali
6.6 Duramax Diesel
Old 04-03-2018, 07:44 AM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Nyalic...great customer service, but the product did not last on a lower front panel of our AS. 😏

Bob
🇱🇷
Old 04-16-2018, 03:54 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
Buffalo , New York
Great thread. So am I to assume there is no such product that one can touch up the exterior Al on the Airstream? My unit is a 2007.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:48 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2000 33' Land Yacht
Ball Ground , Georgia
Latest on nyalic

The Company is less then twenty miles so I went for a visit. Extreamly helpful people. They spent lots of time helping us. Some issues to consider. They recommended to heat the inside above 85 degrees, no problem. The arasol can seemed to spray OK. We sprayed the inside and used a gallon in a good spray gun.It did not flow smooth like I had hoped to maintain the nice shine. Cleaned up several areas and rolled it on . Once we got the hang of it started doing better. It’s not like anything I have used. It’s not like spray lacquer or clear coat. It did adhear and I hope as it cures will get much harder. No data on durability but seeing test items at their lab I see good promise. I will continue it let you know how it progresses.

Gene and Elaine Thomason
Ball Ground Ga.
1976 31 foot Sovereign
2011 GMC 2500HD Denali
6.6 Duramax Diesel
Old 04-16-2018, 07:59 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Glad to hear about the success with the Nyalic and the testing. I did the outside of our 1988 Airstream with Nyalic a year and a half ago and it seems to be holding up fine. I did not polish first so do not have the shine to preserve. I tried a can of the aerosol version but got much better results with a spray rig. I did have to learn to deal with some sags at first.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 07:02 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2000 33' Land Yacht
Ball Ground , Georgia
More to learn

I had a long discussion with the folks at Nyalic about interest in Airstreams. They have sprayed a complete AS for someone with great results. I plan to go back and discuss details on application on smooth aluminum. It seemed to work OK on non polished parts but did not flow even when I thinned the product. I’m sure the people at Nyalic have figured how to spray. It is different then spraying Laquer on wood like I’m use to. Maybe I can get some lessons.

Gene and Elaine Thomason
Ball Ground Ga.
1976 31 foot Sovereign
2011 GMC 2500HD Denali
6.6 Duramax Diesel
Old 04-17-2018, 09:52 AM   #13
Bob

2008 30' Classic
Orland Park , Illinois
Did I mention Sharkhide???

I REPEAT....

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerboy View Post
Check this product out as well.

You "wipe" this on with a cotton soft diaper, clean diaper of course...

Dries in minutes if not seconds and lasts really, really well. Originally formulated for pontoons on pontoon boats. Works on all sorts of metals.

Great product with a bunch of uses!

Old 04-21-2018, 07:47 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Yes it would be awesome to be able to go to Nylaic to be able to discuss spraying and polished aluminum with them.

I tried a conventional spray gun with Nylaic and it did not work well for me. So I re read the instructions and went to WoodCraft and bought a cheap ($60) HVLP gun that I could use with my compressor. That rig worked very well. The material flowed well and made a smooth finish. I did have to redo some small areas with sags. I think the application is fairly temperature sensitive also and I was working outdoors in the late fall. The material did not work well for me when it was atomized like one would do for applying lacquer.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 08:23 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Southlake , Texas
Flyerboy:
This subject was being discussed a year or so ago and I suggested Sharkhide. I was told it was old technology and had been discussed in the past and my suggestion was dismissed. I use it on my aluminum boat trailer that is used in saltwater and it still looks new after 3 years. I plan to use it on the seams of our AS as soon as I get all the green oak tree pollen off of it.
Bgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 08:38 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
How do you apply the Sharkhide?
Thanks
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 01:03 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Southlake , Texas
They recommend using an old cloth diaper. Any soft cloth would work.
Bgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 09:20 AM   #18
Bob

2008 30' Classic
Orland Park , Illinois
Sharkhide

I used Sharkhide to seal my taillights on our 2008 Classic that needed refinishing after an outbreak of filliform. 2 years and they still look great.
I also took 2 days under my 2013 Duramax 2500HD when it was brand new and splashed 2 coats onto ANYTHING that was bare metal, ANYTHING!
That truck still looks like it just came off the assembly line after 5 years and 50,000 miles! I used a smaller paint brush to "splash" it on the bare metal of brake line fittings, upper and lower control arm bushings transfer case, u-joints, driveshaft, etc.. EVERYTHING bare metal!

Try it, experiment with it. It drys in minutes at the most, on warm dry days it drys in seconds.

You can lead a horse to water, but ....
Old 04-23-2018, 04:08 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
I'm going to try the Sharkhide.
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote