Old 03-15-2002, 07:58 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Help help I'm looking for........

Some 3 dimention letters. While enrounte on a trip, I noticed some Airstream trailers with their state on all sides of the trailer. The letters are very similar to the font of Airstream altho just off a bit. I cannot seem to find any letters, from the inter net or locally. The local sign shop said these have become very obsolete and therefore very pricey. He said about $3 each for 3 inch. Let's see, my state is Idaho. That is 5 letters times 4 sides is 20 letters @ $3 is $60 and tax... Too much. Anyone have a source or connection for letters??? My idea is to attach letters to a nice brite aluminium strip and attach to body with nutserts. The next owner could remove strip and easily replace the letters of their choise.
Thanks in advance... Frank
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	p3140005.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	24  

Old 03-15-2002, 10:19 PM   #2
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Land Yacht

Frank, sorry no help on the letters, just wanted to comment on your Land Yacht. Thats a very beautiful trailer!

Old 03-15-2002, 10:28 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Thanks for the complement

I'm gonna make this trailer a real good one. I've just begun. I have lots yet to do. I may paint the body to forgo the polishing. Frank
Old 03-15-2002, 10:34 PM   #4
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
keep us posted on the interior as well.
Old 03-16-2002, 10:06 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
, Michigan
Frank,

I would not suggest painting it. Your trailer looks great the way it is, like an Airstream.

Jim
Old 03-16-2002, 10:48 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Repaint ???

Ah yes the ages old debate. Well, this trailer has been recoated by factory twice before our purchase. I'm not big on a labor of frustration. There are many brite and dull areas. The paint is a very good match from 20 feet. We also have a DeLorean car and the care is not real fun. The DeLorean is not as polished as an Airstream, but still consumes lots of time. For the Airstream, I've been thinking of painting on a reflective white roof coating. There is some trade-offs between estetics and practicality. Let's see, I'm 65 years old. I'm not saving myself or equiptment for my old age. Is it better to use equiptment or just store same?? Havin aint nearly as much fun as usin...Frank
Old 03-16-2002, 09:32 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
I have often seen the names of states on trailers as well, is their any rhyme or reason why outside of saying where their from?

John
Old 03-17-2002, 12:17 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
, Michigan
Frank,

Twice factory re-coated is a significant investment. From the picture your coach looks really nice. The new Airstreams come with a painted white roof. My understanding is it helps keep the coach cool in addition to being a more durable in sunlight.

I have a 1969 Overlander with original factory clear coat. The skin is not perfect with blotches here and there. The clear coat is failing on the top, but not pealing off as I have seen on some coaches. Overall it still looks good. I could not bear the very thought of applying paint to it. Well, you know my position in that age old debate. What goes for one does not need to go for another. I do understand your thought process. I occasionally think about stripping and polishing my Overlander. I suppose at some point I will. But for now I just enjoy camping with it and while at home, reflecting back on the many great family moments within it.

Regarding the states, are you referring to the maps some people put on their rigs coloring in the states they have visited?

Jim

[IMG]1969 Overlander[/IMG]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ovrlndacadias.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	37