Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Clearcoat, Exterior Paint & Trim
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-16-2009, 04:15 PM   #1
cortney

1978 31' Sovereign
Sullivan , Illinois
help finding rub rail insert

Can anyone tell me where I can find the chrome beltline and rubrail inserts for a 78 Sovereign? I've seen photos of trailers with the chrome, but I'm having a terrible time finding them online.
cortney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 04:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
1978? Would those would have been blue? New Airstreams have chrome softer plastic inserts -- don't know how interchangeable they are.

Beltline (rib high) and rubrail (knee high) are different sizes. Not everything is online. You could call out Oasis RV in Tucson (great shipping rates), Inland RV or Out of Doors Mart in NC. Like Neil Armstrong back in 1969, a real live human can exceed computer performance in a heartbeat.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 05:55 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Welcome to the forums. 1978 would have been blue on beltline and rubrail. The aluminum rails are not interchangeable between the blue and chrome inserts. One is wider, and has slots for the blue insert to slip into.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:58 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

You would need to change the rubrail and beltline extrusion to the current production style for the chrome inserts to fit.. The older type was made so vinyl insert would snap in, current chrome inserts have an adhesive backer to secure.
lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 03:51 PM   #5
cortney

1978 31' Sovereign
Sullivan , Illinois
thanks all

i'm going to call around as suggested. i've seen the blue inserts and they're nice, but i have my heart set on something shiny! i think out of doors mart had black inserts that might work, also. i'm wondering if that would look good on a sovereign, or if it would be too much contrast with a mirror shine. opinions?
Old 04-17-2009, 05:27 PM   #6
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The factory store has a number of inserts of varying colors. You may have to order them through a dealer.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 06:55 PM   #7
cortney

1978 31' Sovereign
Sullivan , Illinois
thanks, gene. i'll be checking that out this weekend.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:19 AM   #8
Emmett & Roxie

2008 28' Safari SE
Friendswood , Texas
I need some help with the rub line insert. I went to get my one year old Safari SE out of storage over the weekend and the vinyl chrome colored center insert was lying on the ground beside the trailer in our enclosed storage space. The backing is tacky and was clearly glued on, but didn't hold. My question is what is the best way (or best glue) to reattach this strip? Right now I have duct tape holding it on but would like to get a more permanent fix.
Emmett&Roxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 02:09 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Person County , North Carolina
Double sided mounting tape

Part of the rub rail on our 05 Safari came loose a couple of years ago. I did a quick fix by using some doble sided mounting tape (thin foam with adhesive on both sides) with the intention of ordering a replacement insert from the factory store.

Two years later the quick fix is still going strong....
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:27 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Hi:

As far as the blue gets installed on the rub rail I lucked out. The auto paint store sent me to a sign shop that does signs for vehicles and pin stripeing. I gave them the length and the width of what I need. They got out the roll of vinyl blue (you have several to pick from) and put the roll on a machine. They programed the computer and loaded dimensions and with in a minute this machine cut the vinyl in strips. It was peel and stick on the rub rail after you sprayed ivory soap and water over everthing. I went right over the rivets holding the rub rail on the trailer and it came out looking awesome. I will show you some pics. It has held up and looks professional.

Lothlorian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vynal.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	78937   Click image for larger version

Name:	vinyl install.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	78938  

Old 04-20-2009, 07:22 PM   #11
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
For the "chrome" colored insert you can use 3M Plastic Emblem and Trim Adhesive. There are a number of similar products also.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 02:22 PM   #12
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Send a message via AIM to Maryw164 Send a message via Skype™ to Maryw164
Lothlorian: Just curious what did the vinyl pin-stripping set you back? My '72 Sovereign was badly painted (the rub rails), by the PO and we need to make her look good again.

Thanks, Mary
Maryw164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:32 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic S/O
Erie , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
Part of the rub rail on our 05 Safari came loose a couple of years ago. I did a quick fix by using some doble sided mounting tape (thin foam with adhesive on both sides) with the intention of ordering a replacement insert from the factory store.

Two years later the quick fix is still going strong....

totalstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 04:38 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I got the vinyl for about 30 dollars cut by a computer machine. I got a deal on the vinyl because it was discontinued. I was going to use the same vinyl type but a different color for the interior part of my trailer, but it was a big ouch in pirce. I picked the color and I think he told me for the small amount I needed it would be 80 dollars. My vinyl on my outside was installed a year ago. It is as tight and secure today as the day we put it on. It seals over the rivets really well. Very easy to install. It takes no time at all.

Brian