Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2015, 04:08 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Centerville , Ohio
General clearcoat help

I am looking at a few used AS. Most in the 1998 range. A couple of them have some clearcoat pealing at the top front and back. As a general estimate. What kind of cost on repair would you be looking at.

Is this an indication that the whole trailer might be likely to do the same??
philipsinewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:15 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Welcome to the forums!

The pealing clear coat is common to practically all trailers that are clear coated (late 60's to present). The older the trailer is, or the more time it has spent parked out under the sun, the more likely the clear coat is to be damaged. This is often refered to as "male pattern baldness," since the damage is more evident on the more horizontal (upper) surfaces, and is less evident on the vertical surfaces. On my '73 trailer the clear coat on the roof was practically all gone, but the coating on the sides still required gnarly chemicals to remove.

There are three options for dealing with the clear coat (besides just leaving it alone and forgetting about it):

1) Remove it all so that at least the appearance is uniform, leaving it to develop an oxidized patina.

2) Remove it all and then polish your trailer. Professionals usually charge over $100/ft of trailer body for this service, as it is very labor intensive. You can also do it yourself if you have a few hundred hours to burn.

3) Have the clear coat completely removed, and have it recaoted. This is relatively rarely done. I have only heard of one "reputable" person who provides this service on the Forums, and last rumor was that he was retiring and passing the mantel to someone else. I have never seen any estimates for cost, but I would expect that it is similar to the cost of polishing above, as the operation is similarly labor intensive.

Personally, I wouldn't let the condition of the clear coat count very strongly in my decision to buy or not to buy.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:53 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
There is not a real good DIY way if any to repair clear coat issues available. What ever you do would look as bad or worse than what it looks now. You may be able to get the repairs done at the AS factory, not sure.

Add some pictures that may help.

Good luck
Old 02-27-2015, 10:53 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
It is the nature of beast to happen. One fix is to polish yourself or have done then re clear coated, it is dirty job and exp. to have done. Another is to paint top down to awning rails, keeps inside cooler, or as many of people do live with it, it doesn't affect structure of trailer or safety.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:10 AM   #5
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
If it is bone ugly and annoying get some Heavy duty paint remover. Work small areas at a time with a small stiff paintbrush. Start high and work the stripper downward. It is a process that will take several "passes" and a lot of patience. I find it somewhat therapeutic. You can leave it stripped, polish, or just recoat. I have been polishing for a while and learning as I go. It just takes time. Its gonna look like this one.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	78 polished.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	233223  
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:21 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1998 30' Excella 1000
Halifax , Nova Scotia
I have a '98 Excella that had bad clearcoat on the top half. I striped and polished the top half only and am happy with the results. About 200+hrs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Before and After.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	327.4 KB
ID:	233224  
Gilmurr is offline   Reply With Quote