Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Clearcoat, Exterior Paint & Trim
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-28-2016, 06:44 AM   #1

1978 31' Excella 500
Western , New York
Filiform or something else?

Last year I inherited a 1977 31' Airstream Excella that was barn stored for approximately 20 years. Just this week I was able to pull it out of the barn it was being stored in. The inside is in acceptable condition except for a few mice (or whatever) that got in and tore up the upper cabinet over the refrigerator and the left side twin bed. The carpet is also the gross 70s brown and smells of mildew and mice so I'm going to do a nice vinyl simulated hardwood as I saw in another thread.

Unfortunately the stuff that lived on top of the trailer made quite a mess. I assumed at first there was just dust on the trailer but it may have been bird droppings or whatever other sort of animal droppings. Besides for one "pile" there was nothing on the trailer so I don't know if what is on it could be considered filiform corrosion or simply pitted clear coat? What would be my best course of action to determine what to do with the spots? I was considering hitting it with a buffer wheel but I'm 90% sure that the spots are actually in the clear coat and not on top. Looking at how filiform generally occurs it's around the edges and rivets, these are "drip" marks and don't seem to be spreading.

Here are some pics for reference:
http://i.imgur.com/VrSeahi.png
http://i.imgur.com/McAhR5U.png
http://i.imgur.com/zgyREGD.png

It was stored inside so there isn't any UV or water damage, fortunately, but I am concerned as to the pieces of caulking that seem to be coming up from between the skins. Is that something that should be addressed immediately? I can't find any threads addressing this on here but my search terminology probably is incorrect. All I can find is caulking around the windows not between where the skin panels meet. I pulled the trailer out in anticipation of having my service manual here Friday but Airstream sent me my "completed" order with confirmation in the email and everything and a nice note with the cup I ordered in addition to the manual that said the service manual was "On Order"
Inwo is offline   Reply With Quote