Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Clearcoat, Exterior Paint & Trim
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-24-2013, 06:32 PM   #1

Filiform corrosion - is it still a problem?

I am new to this forum and have been thinking seriously about buying an airstream. Looked at them and fell in love years ago. I have been reading up about the filoform corrosion problem and quite frankly would be sick if I spent in excess of $50k on a travel trailer and had this happen. I have a Jayco trailer that I have had for 18 years and no problems. So my question is: are people still having problems with filoform corrosion on the 2012, 2013 and 2014 models? I will be using it a lot in Idaho and Montana where I understand what they use on the roads in the winter causes a problem.
ongears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Effects vary with use. My personal experience is that solid castings (wheels, door handles) tend to be affected sooner than skins.

And yet I don't know how you ultimately attain 100% freedom from filiform given the countless skin/rivet cuts on an Airstream. My Safari was built 8 years ago this month and I've had few skin issues -- I store under cover (minimizing ultraviolet) and am rarely near salt air. Sun & salt are factors for more problems in my opinion.

Live it. Enjoy it for yourself. Worry less about what you are leaving your children. Did I say live in it? We did a 5K+ June road trip to Cape Breton and back home. Never looked back.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
2012. Yes. Filoform in plenty of places.
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:48 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2013 19' International
Englewood , Florida
My 2013 is just a few months old and the outside grab bar at the entry door is covered with it.
sandhill3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:07 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Filiform corrosion problems are getting worse. It's virtually certain you will have the problem at some point if you buy a Airstream.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:26 AM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Yes...... still a problem.

Consolation...it can be controlled with a consistant program of cleaning and sealing. Our 2003 has shown few new outbreaks for several years now....but it never goes away.

Note....door handles, hinges, bezels, battery door surrounds are not filiform, mostly peeling from poor clearcoat application.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BATTERY DOOR CORROSION REPAIR 003.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	463.8 KB
ID:	194367  
Attached Images

Old 08-28-2013, 01:45 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
I haven't seen it on my '64. Am i just lucky?
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:54 PM   #8
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
We had a small amount around the clearance lights. It was caused by AS using the wrong bezels at the time of manufacture. That is the more curved bezels were installed on the flatter surfaces. It was fixed under warranty. The corrosion dealt with, and bezels installed properly. I'm going to watch it like a hawk, but I don't think it will come back. No other filiform found.

Like Robert, I do have a few spots on handles and hinges that need clear coat cleaning and repair, but that is not a big issue.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:01 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by robwok View Post
I haven't seen it on my '64. Am i just lucky?
You don't have it on the '64 for the same reason I don't have it on my old aluminum canoe. They don't have the clear coat of the new ones.

It will definitely happen on newer Airstreams, worsened by road salt and salty coastal air. But with regular inspections, maintenance and repair as needed, and anti-corrosion treatments, it is manageable.

We don't pull our Airstream on salty winter roadways, not only because of filiform but also corrosion of underbody and frame steel parts, some you can't see or wash. That would apply to any RV, but some are more expendable.

doug
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:59 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Downers Grove , Illinois
What year did they go to the new aluminum and clear coat? Is this also the same time that delineates when an Airstream can be polished to a mirror shine as I understand you cannot do that with the newer ones.
Happy.Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:20 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
NE Central , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy.Camper View Post
What year did they go to the new aluminum and clear coat? Is this also the same time that delineates when an Airstream can be polished to a mirror shine as I understand you cannot do that with the newer ones.
It was sometime in 1999 if I remember correctly.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:48 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I like the new shiny finish, not mirror but no polishing either. Our new Airstream is now two years old, not a trace of corrosion anywhere.

I don't tow on winter roads and haven't camped on the coastal beach (yet). I treat all exterior rivets, cut panel edges, and fittings with CorrosionX couple times a year and the underside steel liberally with Boeshield T9. I wax the exterior with Glare polish annually. My first treatment was the day after I brought it home, and it only sat on the dealer lot for a week. It's never been stored under cover, on the road 14 of the 24 months we owned it. I inspect for damage and corrosion quarterly, including an interior inspection for leaks by probing the floor with a moisture detection meter. Easy to do, a couple of hours for everything plus a couple hours to wash/wax..

They do need inspections, maintenance, and repairs which will keep them in great shape for a lifetime of use.

doug
Old 08-28-2013, 06:08 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
" I will be using it a lot in Idaho and Montana where I understand what they use on the roads in the winter causes a problem."

If you're asking about salt on these roads after winter has passed into spring/summer/fall, there is no problem. It's been worn/washed away for all practical purposes.

doug
Old 08-29-2013, 05:14 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2013 19' International
Englewood , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
I like the new shiny finish, not mirror but no polishing either. Our new Airstream is now two years old, not a trace of corrosion anywhere.

I don't tow on winter roads and haven't camped on the coastal beach (yet). I treat all exterior rivets, cut panel edges, and fittings with CorrosionX couple times a year and the underside steel liberally with Boeshield T9. I wax the exterior with Glare polish annually. My first treatment was the day after I brought it home, and it only sat on the dealer lot for a week. It's never been stored under cover, on the road 14 of the 24 months we owned it. I inspect for damage and corrosion quarterly, including an interior inspection for leaks by probing the floor with a moisture detection meter. Easy to do, a couple of hours for everything plus a couple hours to wash/wax..

They do need inspections, maintenance, and repairs which will keep them in great shape for a lifetime of use.

doug
When you apply the CorrosionX on exterior rivets, cut panel edges, and fittings, do you spray it on, wipe it on/wipe off excess, use a tiny brush or what? I currently use CorrosionX but I use the aerosol spray can but maybe the non aerosol container might be better.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:52 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandhill3000 View Post
When you apply the CorrosionX on exterior rivets, cut panel edges, and fittings, do you spray it on, wipe it on/wipe off excess, use a tiny brush or what? I currently use CorrosionX but I use the aerosol spray can but maybe the non aerosol container might be better.
I spray some on a rag and wipe the areas I want to protect. Where there is filiform I spray directly on that spot and then wipe it off. I do that spring and fall and the little bit of filiform I have hasn't progressed.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:09 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandhill3000 View Post
The first time I sprayed CorrosionX on and wiped up the excess. You get a lot more than you need that way, so I spray some in the lid and dap it on liberally with a Q-Tip for the rivers and cut edges, let it soak in a few minutes and wipe off. Spray and wipe the fittings.

Boeshield T9 is another good product that leaves a paraffin wax coating. Good protection but is hell to get off the panels if it dries on. So I use it on the underbody steel parts and it works good.

Lots of good polishes, I like the Glare polish from Airstream Store. It is easy to use and supposed to have a glass component to shield ultraviolet light. Very durable finish. Bug splatters come off really easy with this on the trailer so I also put it on the front plastic rock guard (sunshade), shiny and easy to clean up.

doug
Old 08-29-2013, 06:39 AM   #17
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Most of our filiform appeared within the first 3 seasons.
Not all rivets and cut edges will be effected.
I have cleaned and sealed the entire trailer at every Spring get-ready.
Thankfully new outbreaks have been restricted mostly to chips in the clear.

A close inspection during the frequent washing's will reveal any new outbreaks.
It's important to find them before they spread. Cleaning all the corrosion from the panel and sealing with clearcoat has worked well for me.
Currently using KBS Diamond Clear.

13 Seasons...SFSG.

Bob
Old 08-29-2013, 06:40 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2013 19' International
Englewood , Florida
I had planned to do the Boeshield T9 on the underbody this weekend. I have used it on boat trailers in the past and it worked great. I have used CorrosionX for some years now but this is my first time using it in the Airstream.

Thanks to all of you for the great tips and information!
Old 08-29-2013, 09:14 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by longears2 View Post
I will be using it a lot in Idaho and Montana where I understand what they use on the roads in the winter causes a problem.
One Airforms member's experience with extensive filiform corrosion (who lives in Montana).
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 02:29 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
I have a theory about what causes filiform: dry airborne particulate that is allowed to cling to the exterior for any length of time.

Why is this my theory?

Because the FaN has been parked outside for 6 1/2 years in one of the wettest climates in North America. I have just washed the FaN and am in the process of Walbernizing. (BTW, the trailer was only washed once last year and has not been Walbernized for over a year.) I have not noticed any filiform corrosion whatsoever. So, any particulate is washed away by the rain before it can inflict any invasive damage? (During any dry spells, I rinse the trailer 1X/week).

Living in the country may also help; less air pollution/particulate.

This is just a theory, but if it will help any new trailer owners, i.e. make sure your trailer gets wet at least once/week, especially if you live in a more polluted urban area, what the heck?