Old 08-29-2013, 06:52 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandhill3000 View Post
When you apply the CorrosionX on exterior rivets, cut panel edges, and fittings, do you spray it on, wipe it on/wipe off excess, use a tiny brush or what? I currently use CorrosionX but I use the aerosol spray can but maybe the non aerosol container might be better.
I spray some on a rag and wipe the areas I want to protect. Where there is filiform I spray directly on that spot and then wipe it off. I do that spring and fall and the little bit of filiform I have hasn't progressed.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:09 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandhill3000 View Post
When you apply the CorrosionX on exterior rivets, cut panel edges, and fittings, do you spray it on, wipe it on/wipe off excess, use a tiny brush or what? I currently use CorrosionX but I use the aerosol spray can but maybe the non aerosol container might be better.
The first time I sprayed CorrosionX on and wiped up the excess. You get a lot more than you need that way, so I spray some in the lid and dap it on liberally with a Q-Tip for the rivers and cut edges, let it soak in a few minutes and wipe off. Spray and wipe the fittings.

Boeshield T9 is another good product that leaves a paraffin wax coating. Good protection but is hell to get off the panels if it dries on. So I use it on the underbody steel parts and it works good.

Lots of good polishes, I like the Glare polish from Airstream Store. It is easy to use and supposed to have a glass component to shield ultraviolet light. Very durable finish. Bug splatters come off really easy with this on the trailer so I also put it on the front plastic rock guard (sunshade), shiny and easy to clean up.

doug

Old 08-29-2013, 07:39 AM   #17
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Most of our filiform appeared within the first 3 seasons.
Not all rivets and cut edges will be effected.
I have cleaned and sealed the entire trailer at every Spring get-ready.
Thankfully new outbreaks have been restricted mostly to chips in the clear.

A close inspection during the frequent washing's will reveal any new outbreaks.
It's important to find them before they spread. Cleaning all the corrosion from the panel and sealing with clearcoat has worked well for me.
Currently using KBS Diamond Clear.

13 Seasons...SFSG.

Bob

ďAfter all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.Ē
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but Iím the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:40 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2013 19' International
Englewood , Florida
I had planned to do the Boeshield T9 on the underbody this weekend. I have used it on boat trailers in the past and it worked great. I have used CorrosionX for some years now but this is my first time using it in the Airstream.

Thanks to all of you for the great tips and information!
Old 08-29-2013, 10:14 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by longears2 View Post
I will be using it a lot in Idaho and Montana where I understand what they use on the roads in the winter causes a problem.
One Airforms member's experience with extensive filiform corrosion (who lives in Montana).
Old 05-19-2017, 03:29 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
I have a theory about what causes filiform: dry airborne particulate that is allowed to cling to the exterior for any length of time.

Why is this my theory?

Because the FaN has been parked outside for 6 1/2 years in one of the wettest climates in North America. I have just washed the FaN and am in the process of Walbernizing. (BTW, the trailer was only washed once last year and has not been Walbernized for over a year.) I have not noticed any filiform corrosion whatsoever. So, any particulate is washed away by the rain before it can inflict any invasive damage? (During any dry spells, I rinse the trailer 1X/week).

Living in the country may also help; less air pollution/particulate.

This is just a theory, but if it will help any new trailer owners, i.e. make sure your trailer gets wet at least once/week, especially if you live in a more polluted urban area, what the heck?
Old 05-19-2017, 04:51 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I have none on any cast items, and little on the original panels. However, the two panels replaced in 2011, have much more. Draw your own conclusion from that.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote