Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2009, 05:58 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Exterior Wax

Has anyone tried to use Turtle Wax 'Ice' on an A/S with plasticoat?
From what I've read about the product it seems like it is ideal for this application. It says it seals and leaves no white residue behind. I have never used the product but have talked to people who use it on their cars and trucks and say that you can even use it on the rubber and plastic trim.
What do you think?
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:01 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
From what I've read about the product it seems like it is ideal for this application. It says it seals and leaves no white residue behind. I have never used the product but have talked to people who use it on their cars and trucks and say that you can even use it on the rubber and plastic trim.
What do you think?
Bluto.... I've used the Turtle Wax Ice on my 95 Bonneville and I'm not impressed. It's hard to apply as it's clear and difficult to see on the paint. The paint on the car is no longer in top shape and the Ice did very little to shine it up. It will make the rain drops bead on the paint when it rains. The good thing about the wax is that it is great on the black plastic trim around the door handles and fender wells on my GMC. I only use it on the black plastic as it will usually remove the white wax stains I get on the plastic trim when I wax my truck. I would have probably sent it back to Turtle Wax for a refund if it wasn't so good on the black plastic. I only use the Walbernizer RV Super Seal wax on my Airstream.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
What do you think?
Unless your trailer has been replasticoated, the paint has been shot years ago.

Plasticoat is good for only about 5 years.

Do you really want to rub anything on dead paint?

To do so, may remove some of that paint.

Walbernize is the top choice for plasticoat protection.

It's available from a few Airstream dealers.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Thanks guys, Walbernize it is!
Old 06-18-2009, 08:56 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Vinegar: I used diluted vinegar on the stone shields to remove last fall's (now fossilized) smashed bugs on our '03 30' A/S. It worked great! (Winter comes at any time in the Upper Great Lakes and there was no time to do it before winter). Any downside to now using vinegar on the front of the trailer to remove the rest of the bug carcasses? Wikipaedia says vinegar is a mild acid used for centuries. Will it discolor the clear coat?
oakwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:16 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
I use Walbernize and it works great on the clearcoat. The only downside is it will leave white residue around the rivets and decals and it needs to be reapplied at least twice a year.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:37 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakwood View Post
Vinegar: I used diluted vinegar on the stone shields to remove last fall's (now fossilized) smashed bugs on our '03 30' A/S. It worked great! (Winter comes at any time in the Upper Great Lakes and there was no time to do it before winter). Any downside to now using vinegar on the front of the trailer to remove the rest of the bug carcasses? Wikipaedia says vinegar is a mild acid used for centuries. Will it discolor the clear coat?

I have never used vinegar on an Airstream, but can say that with the older Plasticoat finish I have used kerosene added to my bucket of wash water with soap and it cleans off just about everything from bugs to tar to diesel smoke residue off the finish. Then wash with just plain soapy car wash water then rinse, then wax, in that order.
I heard about using kerosene from an Airstream publication that used to have a section about tech tips.
I have also went one step further and have used this on the lower body panels on my truck with no ill effects on the clearcoat paint. Just don't get it on the windshield or wiper blades.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:16 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
I am using "Ice" on our car and really like the shine, application, and durability. Ice is not a cleaner so the surface must be in top condition before using.

On our 23 I have used a number of car wax products on it and apply Spring and Fall.

I have a bottle of Walbanize but don't care for it even though it may be the best product for the Airstream surface.
Old 06-21-2009, 02:17 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
I'm trying a little experiment with "Ice" right now. As I do this year's aluminum polishing (no clear coat), I'm topping a few panels with "Ice" to see how it holds up.

What I found, so far, is that the "Ice" pulls the residual aluminum oxide (black residue) up like mineral spirits. So, I coat a small area with "Ice" and immediately wipe with a clean cotton rag. Then I apply the "Ice", let it dry to a haze and buff it with a microfiber.

I'll let you know at the end of the season how it did, I'm figuring, worst case, Nuvite will take it off next spring. Of course, it could come off in little hard flecks and scratch everything to .... But, that seems unlikely.

Roy
64airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 03:23 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Southern , Illinois
carnuba wax

I will be polishing for the first time this year and have already found out that P&S will not clearcoat a trailer that they don't polish.

It looks like I will be waxing over the polished aluminum, has anyone tried a good quality carnuba wax? Thanks.
maccamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 12:16 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
I'm pleased with the results of 'NuFinish' (used a whole 16oz bottle on the trailer!)... also been using it on the truck for several years, and it's very durable. I tried 'Ice' and a product by 3M (in a black bottle, forgot name)- not impressed... seemed to loose its shine and water bead quickly
Old 10-09-2011, 05:14 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Any more feedback on "ice"?
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:18 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1986 34' Excella
Patrick AFB , Florida
Kinda new to the newer AS. I had a 1967 24 footer but now I'm looking at an 86 Excella. I'm thinking it is clear coated. Can it be stripped and polished or is that just a process for the older AS's? It's losing some of it's clear coat and I'm not sure I could find someone local to repair it. Thanks!
Foevrluvinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:02 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foevrluvinit View Post
Kinda new to the newer AS. I had a 1967 24 footer but now I'm looking at an 86 Excella. I'm thinking it is clear coated. Can it be stripped and polished or is that just a process for the older AS's? It's losing some of it's clear coat and I'm not sure I could find someone local to repair it. Thanks!
The original clear coat lasts ball park 5 to 6 years.

It's not difficult to apply, just spray it on.

Of course the metal must be super clean so that the new clear coat bonds properly.

Andy
Old 10-12-2011, 04:57 AM   #15
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Griot's Paint Sealant... (8oz=5 times w/some left)

I've not found anything that looks better or lasts longer...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07839.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	393.0 KB
ID:	142458  
Old 10-12-2011, 05:14 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1986 34' Excella
Patrick AFB , Florida
Thank you both for your reply. I think I am going to make an offer today on the AS and maybe I'll be an Airstreamer again soon!
Foevrluvinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:10 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccamper
I will be polishing for the first time this year and have already found out that P&S will not clearcoat a trailer that they don't polish.

It looks like I will be waxing over the polished aluminum, has anyone tried a good quality carnuba wax? Thanks.
Well good to know that I cant just get clear coat at P&S. It had occurred to me to have them do just that after we polish.The quote for them to do the 'works' on our 34' was between 6-9k dollars. Definitely not intrested in spending that. Now we will research doing the clear coat ourselves and if we dont find anything we will go with the carnuba wax. We are interested to see how your trailer turns out. Have you heard of Alodine 1001? It sounds like it would work but as yet, I haven't found anyone that has experience to share for airstream application.
yve79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:44 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by yve79 View Post
Well good to know that I cant just get clear coat at P&S. It had occurred to me to have them do just that after we polish.The quote for them to do the 'works' on our 34' was between 6-9k dollars. Definitely not intrested in spending that. Now we will research doing the clear coat ourselves and if we dont find anything we will go with the carnuba wax. We are interested to see how your trailer turns out. Have you heard of Alodine 1001? It sounds like it would work but as yet, I haven't found anyone that has experience to share for airstream application.
If you can spray paint, you can do the clear coat yourself.

Alodine, is not a good idea, since it contains an acid.

Andy
Old 10-12-2011, 04:22 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Andy is the spray paint clear coat similar to factory plasti-coat? What is the brand and where can I get it?

Thanks for your help.
yve79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:45 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Griot's Paint Sealant... (8oz=5 times w/some left)

I've not found anything that looks better or lasts longer...
Just ordered some. Appreciate the recommendation. Guess I will see what it can do for my old beat up rig...

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote