Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Clearcoat, Exterior Paint & Trim
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-04-2014, 07:03 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
topeka , Kansas
diamond satin clear coat

has anyone tried this clear coat for bare metal?

Eastwood Diamond Clear Satin Set
Old 02-04-2014, 08:07 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
No I have not tried it but I would talk to the manufacture about surface prep and how they deal with the oxide layer that aluminum forms that usually makes it hard for many coatings to stick without some sort of surface prep like alodine.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:11 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
I did!

I installed all new interior aluminum and chose Diamond Brite to protect the new aluminum shine and surface. I talked with their Folks, and followed their instructions to the letter. It turned out horrible. I even had to replace one entire roof panel. In their response they said "oops!" we really did not want you to use MEK as a prep cleaner. It leaves a residue which will ruin the application. Yep....it did. On the new roof panel they gave me instructions as to how to use more of their prep cleaner. I followed those instruction and found out that the cleaner was an acid etch type which now converted the new panel to a cloudy surface. The Company refused to make good on any of it. They did, however, respond fast to all my questions and follow up....big help that was. All that work and expense pissed away.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:01 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by arden_dean View Post
has anyone tried this clear coat for bare metal?

Eastwood Diamond Clear Satin Set
Experimenting with a clear coat can become real expensive.

Stay with what has been used for many years.

It works.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:00 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I am thinking that the old school clear coat used on early Airstreams was a clear lacquer, if I was going to clear an Airstream that is what I would use for several reasons, with repairability and film thickness being a couple of important reasons.

Applying any product over a polished surface is going to have adhesion issues. This just is.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:25 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
topeka , Kansas
what works ?

what works ? The clear coat used by Airstream has changed over the years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Experimenting with a clear coat can become real expensive.

Stay with what has been used for many years.

It works.

Andy
Old 02-04-2014, 12:18 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
I am thinking that the old school clear coat used on early Airstreams was a clear lacquer, if I was going to clear an Airstream that is what I would use for several reasons, with repairability and film thickness being a couple of important reasons.

Applying any product over a polished surface is going to have adhesion issues. This just is.
I am not sure what the old plasticote was, but it certainly was not lacquer based.

Andy
Old 02-04-2014, 12:21 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by arden_dean View Post
what works ? The clear coat used by Airstream has changed over the years.
The new style clearcoat, CANNOT be applied in the field.

Airstream cannot apply it to the new metal.

The newest Plasticoat is a 2 part system, and is still available, since it's the only material that can be applied in the field.

Andy
Old 02-04-2014, 01:20 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
topeka , Kansas
who sales it?

where can I buy it ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
The new style clearcoat, CANNOT be applied in the field.

Airstream cannot apply it to the new metal.

The newest Plasticoat is a 2 part system, and is still available, since it's the only material that can be applied in the field.

Andy
Old 02-04-2014, 01:57 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
just curious but are you coating the interior skin or exterior?
Old 02-04-2014, 08:57 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
diamond satin clear coat

I read somewhere it was a lacquer but I didn't proof it, I will submit to your expertise Andy!

Now I am curious as to what they did use.

Did AS start clearing in the 60 s?

I know my 72 was cleared, whatever it was, what little was left in the few areas where the sun didn't burn it off was very thin.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:25 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
topeka , Kansas
My bad, exterior

I did the interior last year and ran out of time before camping season. This year I plan on doing the exterior, hopefully It will be ready before camping season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckasaurus View Post
just curious but are you coating the interior skin or exterior?
Old 02-05-2014, 07:39 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
That acid etch is what preps the surface for the clear coat. If you want plastic over a mirror surface, I don't think you are going to get that. The only way a polish works is to keep it polished. I am not sure how Airstream did their old trailers. I expect it was a complicated expensive process and that is why they cheaped out and are using this factory coated junk on the new trailers. A good clear coat will etch the surface and that is why the finish looks kinda dull with the old clear coat. I expect it is the etch. I expect the old panels were dipped in an alodine solution rinsed dried then painted.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
I installed all new interior aluminum and chose Diamond Brite to protect the new aluminum shine and surface. I talked with their Folks, and followed their instructions to the letter. It turned out horrible. I even had to replace one entire roof panel. In their response they said "oops!" we really did not want you to use MEK as a prep cleaner. It leaves a residue which will ruin the application. Yep....it did. On the new roof panel they gave me instructions as to how to use more of their prep cleaner. I followed those instruction and found out that the cleaner was an acid etch type which now converted the new panel to a cloudy surface. The Company refused to make good on any of it. They did, however, respond fast to all my questions and follow up....big help that was. All that work and expense pissed away.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:06 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Some folks on the forum, myself included, have been using Nyalic® on corrosion repair areas with excellent results. It is regularly used in marine applications on aluminum bare metal for full boat coverage. I am unaware of anyone that has done their entire Airstream with it but I read somewhere that it had been done with good results. It has to be very carefully applied, but something to consider none-the-less.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:20 AM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
That acid etch is what preps the surface for the clear coat. If you want plastic over a mirror surface, I don't think you are going to get that. The only way a polish works is to keep it polished. I am not sure how Airstream did their old trailers. I expect it was a complicated expensive process and that is why they cheaped out and are using this factory coated junk on the new trailers. A good clear coat will etch the surface and that is why the finish looks kinda dull with the old clear coat. I expect it is the etch. I expect the old panels were dipped in an alodine solution rinsed dried then painted.

Perry
Perry.

NEVER, EVER acid etch the exterior of any Airstream.

Not even if your going to use regular paints.

To do so will in time, create many water leaks. GUARANTEED.

The surface can be prepared simply by wiping it down with a high grade "lacquer thinner", using a soft cotton rag.

Andy
Old 02-05-2014, 04:07 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I was not suggesting using battery acid or some home brew to prep your aluminum. However, any aluminum surface has to be prepped with some sort of acid based primer or surface treatment to ready for coating. My point is that clear coating aluminum is not an easy process and the surface treatments to get it ready to paint are highly toxic and it may have been the primary reason Airstream got out of the clear coating business. I work in the aerospace industry and everything has to be coated and it is not cheap. You can't just go out and buy a can of clear coat at the autoparts store and get it to work.

DGR Industrial Products, Inc. :: Specialty Coatings :: Conversion Coatings :: Alodine Chromate Conversion For Aluminum Alloys :: Henkel Alodine 1201 Chromate Conversion Coating

Perry
Old 02-05-2014, 04:26 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
I was not suggesting using battery acid or some home brew to prep your aluminum. However, any aluminum surface has to be prepped with some sort of acid based primer or surface treatment to ready for coating. My point is that clear coating aluminum is not an easy process and the surface treatments to get it ready to paint are highly toxic and it may have been the primary reason Airstream got out of the clear coating business. I work in the aerospace industry and everything has to be coated and it is not cheap. You can't just go out and buy a can of clear coat at the autoparts store and get it to work.

DGR Industrial Products, Inc. :: Specialty Coatings :: Conversion Coatings :: Alodine Chromate Conversion For Aluminum Alloys :: Henkel Alodine 1201 Chromate Conversion Coating

Perry
Perry.

After 48 years of experience with Airstreams, using any acid on the exterior is an absolute NO NO.

Commercial Aircraft uses different aluminum than Airstream.

The acid will bury itself under the rivet heads, and in time, will attack the back side of the rivet and the rivet hole. End result, LEAKS, BIG TIME.

I have been through that many many times.

Andy
Old 02-05-2014, 04:50 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
ahem commercial aircraft us exactly the same aluminum as vintage trailers no difference at all, none
Old 02-05-2014, 04:52 PM   #19
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
I am not sure how Airstream did their old trailers. I expect it was a complicated expensive process and that is why they cheaped out and are using this factory coated junk on the new trailers.
The EPA had more than a little to do with this being brought to a halt. The new panels come from the factory with the coating already applied and ready to install.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:08 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
Just thought I'd add that all the aircraft the went through my old shop were acid cleaned prior to the surface coating process (Endura is not a paint) and I can't say acid under the rivets was a concern. Having said that we didn't use as many 1100 rivets and our planes only went back to the early 60's.