Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Clearcoat, Exterior Paint & Trim
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-25-2016, 03:51 PM   #1

2019 27' Globetrotter
Austin , Quebec
Deep scratch on my Airstream

Hi ! Looking for help to know how to repair a pretty deep scratch on my Airstream. My dealer gave me an acrylic pen but it doesn't put back the colour gray of the aluminium it just protect it to avoid rusting. Is there anything I can do for this. Thanks.
Louall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 12:15 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

Yorba Linda , California
What year and model is it and where is the scratch located, older trailers you can hit it with a deep cut with like F9 or higher compound
vintagetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 02:25 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
We bought ours lightly used and the PO had parked it poorly, resulting in some fairly deep scratches. I did a lot of research and concluded that there was nothing I could do to restore it to "as new" except replace panels. I decided to just clean and prepare the surface and applied clearcoat for protection. Once you have those scratches, you tend to be less concerned about other cosmetic issues.

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 03:51 PM   #4

2019 27' Globetrotter
Austin , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetech View Post
What year and model is it and where is the scratch located, older trailers you can hit it with a deep cut with like F9 or higher compound

It's a sport 2016. It's right on the front panel and it's located over the M of airstream.
Old 07-14-2017, 03:51 PM   #5

2019 27' Globetrotter
Austin , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
We bought ours lightly used and the PO had parked it poorly, resulting in some fairly deep scratches. I did a lot of research and concluded that there was nothing I could do to restore it to "as new" except replace panels. I decided to just clean and prepare the surface and applied clearcoat for protection. Once you have those scratches, you tend to be less concerned about other cosmetic issues.

Larry

Ok this is what I have realized. Sad but true !!
Old 07-14-2017, 08:53 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Beauty marks...

Otherwise they drive you nuts.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:30 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
If you use it it's going to happen. Try to polish out the surface scratches and be sure to clean and apply clear coat promptly to prevent filiform corrosion on the deep scratches. The corrosion will look really bad, the nicks and scratches you can live with, the Airstream will still look as beautiful as new.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:42 PM   #8
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
The only perfect AS trailer is one that is not used; the rest have "patina".

Don't sweat the scratches, it's the tree branches, garage and home overhangs, garage doors and hail that will make you want to cry.

Relax and camp.
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:03 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Scratch the other side.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 07:13 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I suppose if you were lucky you could find some sort of automotive touch up pen that might give a good paint match to the original aluminum finish (Maybe AS should sell one!)

But you could just as easily make things look worse! I have tried many different "silver" and "aluminum" paints to find a match for dealing with corrosion issues and yet to find a really close match.

I too have a scratch I ours some some kind person gave me in Flying J carpark. I was sick about it at first but have come to realise that other people are right in that it is going to happen sooner or later, so just accept it as a "beauty mark" or "mark of experience!"

Other than takin as much care as you can, there is nothing you can do to prevent this happening and likely the only thing you can do to repair it to compete satisfaction would be to change the panel which in most cases likely makes no economic sense.

I think I'd just do as your dealer suggests and clear coat the scratch to protect it and prevent filiform corrosion starting at that location. In fact that is what I did.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 07:37 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
No worries about rust...it's aluminum.

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 05:14 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
2008 16' International
Forest Knolls , California
So this is a timely thread! I just returned my 2017 International 30' to the storage yard. As I swung through the entrance gate, I turned a fraction too early and caught the entry gate post with the left rear panel The result is a 16-18" scrape with a slight indentation of the aluminum. After taking a few deep breaths and realizing that no matter how careful you are, $%@& happens, I calmed down, I can live with my "beauty mark". So my question, how do I replace the clear coat that was scraped off to prevent the dreaded filiform corrosion? Thanks for any comments. Jim
Jmacd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 06:55 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdalrymple View Post
No worries about rust...it's aluminum.

Regards,

JD
Correct - no worry about rust, no iron / steel involved. However there is a worry about filform corrosion setting in - look it up if not familiar!

Once the clearcoat is compromised , it is significant possibility - look it up! May save you some grief!

For that reason, IMHO, the least you should do to protect it, is to clear coat the scratch. S.A.P.

Just my opinion! I've been wrong before!

2005 Classic 30'
Old 07-22-2017, 07:55 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmacd View Post
So this is a timely thread! I just returned my 2017 International 30' to the storage yard. As I swung through the entrance gate, I turned a fraction too early and caught the entry gate post with the left rear panel The result is a 16-18" scrape with a slight indentation of the aluminum. After taking a few deep breaths and realizing that no matter how careful you are, $%@& happens, I calmed down, I can live with my "beauty mark". So my question, how do I replace the clear coat that was scraped off to prevent the dreaded filiform corrosion? Thanks for any comments. Jim
Airstream does sell an official touch-up pen for these cases. It's actually a felt-type marker that lays down clear acrylic. In the first post of this thread, the OP says he is not satisfied with how it turned out using the marker provided by his dealer.

I bought the Airstream marker when I visited Jackson Center in 2013 and have used it several times on my trailer. It does go on clear and I think it looks as good as anything could. I have one comment about using it: Don't try to put a second layer on while the first is drying. That will cause the pen to "stick" and make the touch-up more visible.

Some people have used clear nail polish.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 08:09 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post
Airstream does sell an official touch-up pen for these cases. It's actually a felt-type marker that lays down clear acrylic. In the first post of this thread, the OP says he is not satisfied with how it turned out using the marker provided by his dealer.

I bought the Airstream marker when I visited Jackson Center in 2013 and have used it several times on my trailer. It does go on clear and I think it looks as good as anything could. I have one comment about using it: Don't try to put a second layer on while the first is drying. That will cause the pen to "stick" and make the touch-up more visible.

Some people have used clear nail polish.

I agree with SSquared's answer - I think you have the only sensible attitude and hard as it may be it is the one I try to accept!

Despite being a meticulous old B*stard, over the years I have come to accept that is not possible!

Perfection is ever elusive!

Especially in Airstreams, as soon as the leave the factory - if not before!

Clearcoat repair pen, or thousands of $ to fix a scratch - your choice!

In the world of home brewing, we have an acronymn.

RDWHAHB (Relax, don't worry, have a home brew!) Works for me!

2005 Classic 30'
Old 07-22-2017, 09:28 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
2008 16' International
Thanks for the responses. I'll get a clear coat pen ordered. As for the rough edges of the scrapes, I think they need to be smoothed down. Fine steel wool or careful use of a super fine sand paper? Anyone done this? Jim
Old 07-22-2017, 09:55 PM   #17
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
We do not have pictures of your damag... on our 1999 I use NYALIC... am very pleased...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:42 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
2008 16' International
Received my acrylic touch-up pen from Airstream today. Went over and picked up the TT from the storage yard and got ready to try to clean up the damage to the curved lower left rear side panel after recently getting a bit too close a gate post. I first wanted to minimize or pop-out the long shallow dent caused by the scrape.
I got my trusty toilet plunger and then wet the damaged area with soapy water. I "plunged" several times along the scrape and viola! Out popped the dent, not perfect as the aluminum got stretched a bit, but it looked fine. I touched up the several scratches with the acrylic pen and it turned out pretty good considering.

I got a quote from my Airstream dealer for $2300 to repair the damage. I considered making an insurance claim and pay my deductible but thought I'd give my repair a try first. Glad I did, it looks fine and I'll save my insurance for something more serious if ever needed. Now I can RDWHAHB! Thanks for the suggestions. This forum is a great resource. Jim