Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2010, 08:09 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
cost of painting

Need to have my 74 argosy 28' painted. Anyone had this done lately? and to what co$t.
Or
Has anyone painted it themselves? and what paint did you use? what amount? and what co$t?
GeocamperAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:35 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 27
Lacey , Washington
paint or not to paint, that is the question

tiger,
OK, wife and I were in the same place you are last year. We purchased a '78 27ft that needed painted. I was going to do it myself until I talked to several paint store owners who said, I would love to sell you paint but you would be wasting your $$. So I began checking on paint places. We live in WA ST (western side) and I got quotes from $1500 to $10k. I went with a shop that did it for $2200 and I had an epoxy sealer/primer used which cost me about $150 more over the original bid of 2k. If you go to jjustice in the registry you can see the final product OR if you are a WBCCI member this month's Blue Beret has a pic of it in the vintage section. Good luck jjustice
jjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 02:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
Did they say why you would be wasting your money?
Old 11-02-2010, 06:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Back in the 70's I repainted a 24' Argosy, and it was a LOT of work. Like any other paint job, most of the work is in the preperation. After a lot of sanding I primmed it with zinc chromate primer, and that was supposed to be for better adhesion to the aluminum and galvanized metal. I took all the paint off the galvanized. Can't remember the color of the paint, but it was definately Dupont acrylic enamel, because I called Airstream and got the type paint and color. The whole job took me a month of evenings and weekends as I remember.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
I do not have the funds to have it done by someone else.
I do have the time next summer and use of a sprayer.
I was hoping it was as simple as - clean, sand, clean, prime, paint. No striping involved. Is there a primer that can be put over the old paint?
Old 11-02-2010, 06:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger View Post
I was hoping it was as simple as - clean, sand, clean, prime, paint. No striping involved. Is there a primer that can be put over the old paint?
It basically is as simple as that, but it's still a lot of work. Think of doing an automotive paint job on a car as big as a house.

Almost any primer can be put over the old paint after it has been sanded, but that's not really the problem. The problem is getting a primer that will have good adhesion both to aluminum where the original paint is thin and you sand thru, and the galvanized steel end caps.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:32 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 27
Lacey , Washington
Did they say why you would be wasting your money?
jjustice says:

All the paint stores asked me if I had ever painted a large metal (aluminum with steel caps). I said that I painted my first car when I was 18 yr old but that was a looong time ago. The paint reps stated that the paint that is needed costs $150 a quart and the primer is $130. It was going to take about two quarts or so of each and then there was the prep. I did prep some of the trailer but the real job was the acid treatment the paint shop used to take off the paint and prepare the trailer for the primer and the final coat. The paint the paint shop used was a new type of paint that is used on large vehicles such as 18 wheelers, fire trucks, etc. The paint can be put on very thick and it does not run so the painter sprayed the top part of the trailer with one very thick coat and the sides and under carriage with two liter coats. The 78 has a wide strip down the middle of each side. I had that painted the color of the TV and the bottom part and tongue. It turned out fantastic and I figured that it would have costs me around $1200 to get the trailer painted if I had done it myself not to take in account the time I would have taken and the wear and tear on me. So that is the reason I took it to someone who does it for a living.
jjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:25 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
jjustice, Thanks for the info and warning. However I can not afford to have it done.
So I would still like to know if anyone out there has painted their's them self and what kind of paint to use.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:25 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 Argosy 28
Chambersburg , Pennsylvania
Believe the "bar" across the back that houses the rear lights is fiberglass. What primter/paint treatment did you apply to that "bar". Is there a treatment that will revitalize uv damaged the fiberglass?
Al's cousin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:54 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
1969 21' Globetrotter
1953 25' Cruiser
Front Royal , Virginia
You can use Dupont Marine paint. There is a thread on here somewhere that tells how you can do the whole thing with a household edger and thinned down paint. I know, I know what your going to say I did not believe it myself. However, I met a guy this summer that did exactly that and it looked great. I thought that he had it done professionally, it looked that good. The Argosy had been painted camoflage by the PO and went by the dirrections in the thread. He did not strip off the old paint just light sanding and painted two coats. He only used an edger and it looked great. I actually wished I had done that instead of Polishing my Argosy. The guy that I saw goes by Airfoil here on the forums. He is a great guy and I am sure he would be willing to give info about how he did it.

Good luck
nick6930 is offline   Reply With Quote