Old 07-23-2013, 12:40 PM   #1
Formally 'tiger'

1974 Argosy 28
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
Cost of Argosy paint job

I am going to start to get some bids.
What should I expect to pay someone to prep and paint my 28ft argosy? (one color 08 tundra silver) And should re-caulking the seems be done before or after paint?
Thank

Old 07-23-2013, 12:58 PM   #2

1975 Argosy 24
1976 Argosy 28
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger View Post
I am going to start to get some bids.
What should I expect to pay someone to prep and paint my 28ft argosy? (one color 08 tundra silver) And should re-caulking the seems be done before or after paint?
Thank
I've no real clue what you should expect to pay, but I'll be interested to find out if you're willing to share the bids you get. That'll be the final phase of Il Progetto. I'm not expecting it to be cheap!

Be sure to point out to them the fact that the front and rear endcaps are galvanized and the rest is aluminum... they may need a different primer or something for the endcaps.

Il Carriaggio 1975 Argosy 24 | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
Send a message via AIM to crabbey1 Send a message via Skype™ to crabbey1
I am very interested in this as well. I will be getting a new paint job on my 22' Argosy before the end of the year.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:51 PM   #4
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
When I got bids for our Argosy, I was quoted anywhere from $100-$300 per running foot. That's been a while, factor in inflation, then deduct for the economy, it may be close to the same now.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:13 PM   #5
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I am making this post to follow along and see where it goes. I would say it is fairly high per foot since you need special primers for the aluminum.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:19 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
Thanks for starting this thread - what a great topic.
Our kids own a 16' canned ham and they had it painted earlier this year at Maaco, for a cost of $2000. Not the best paint job but ok, and automotive paint. They elected to seal after paint using clear Parbond. Looks ok.
We'll be having our 20' Argosy painted next year and I'm pretty convinced I want to use a urethane paint. I've been sealing up seams and stuff using Trempro 635, but I'm starting to question if I should pull the caulk, have it painted, then use the clear Parbond. I think caulking first then using the urethane paint would provide a superior shield against leaks, but I don't know how long the caulk would last. Theoretically it should last 20 or 30 or more years under such a paint job, but re-caulking would require at least touch up painting. I'm anticipating around $3500 for the paint.
I don't think I have the talent to pull off what boatdoc did - http://www.airforums.com/forums/f474...ble-36224.html - but maybe.
I'm really curious what you decide.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:59 AM   #7
Formally 'tiger'

1974 Argosy 28
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
I thought I would try a few local body shops first. I like to help keep the smaller guys in business if the price is relative. However I want to make sure they know what they are doing.
So please keep the input coming, i.e. type of primer, type of paint, type of caulk, when to caulk, etc.
I will also update when I get bids.
Thanks
Old 07-24-2013, 07:09 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
You want someone familiar with a trailer that is riveted together. Sanding to remove the old paint is NOT recommended.
I would try to locate someone who paints aluminum airplanes.
I think you would be looking at $3500-$4500.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:30 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
2008 22' Safari
tucker , Georgia
I have an Argosy 26. I got quotes from $2200- 4000 to paint it, the low bidders did not inspire confidence when I asked them questions about how they would do it. This is not rocket science, just time consuming, dirty work. The painting is actually easy, (probably just about three-four hours total) just the prep that takes all the time.

I just stripped it a few weeks ago, and then painted the upper portions and end caps, polished the rest of it. Stripping the paint is actually easy but just time consuming- wear one of those disposable protective suits that Home Depot sells. Search "Boatdoc"s threads on this- he did an incredible job on his paint job.

I have repainted several mid size sailboats - I recommend Interlux Perfection 2 part epoxy paint from Jamestown Distributors. It uses a two part epoxy primer underneath it. If you use the correct amount of thinner and roll it on, you can easily paint it yourself for a few hundred dollars. The paint is unbelievably tough. I had three coats of it on a sailboat and we inadvertently hit a dock at the lake one time moving along at a good speed. It scraped down along a metal edge on the dock and only went through the outer layer of paint, was able to buff it out. Any other paint would have been scraped all the way through. It also has excellent gloss and UV resistance. I think a good coat of it would long outlast the original factory paint.

If you use the two part epoxy paint, you have to use a positive pressure respirator if spraying it to protect your lungs from toxic fumes. I rolled it on and no respirator was needed. My paint turned out pretty good and I was in a hurry to get finished. If I had really taken my time it would have been flawless.

If you want to save money the Interlux Brightside one part polyurethane paints are ok also, just not as durable in the long run.

I will post a picture if I can figure out how to do that.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:08 PM   #10
Formally 'tiger'

1974 Argosy 28
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
Ok so here's the scoop. Several local body shops either could not handle that size or did not want to do a camper. 3 local body shops said yes. $4500 to $6000. All of which sounded like they knew how to paint aluminum. With no prompting from me, they talked about either acid primer or epoxy primer and urethane caulk.

On the other hand Macco. Wow. First they said we can't paint aluminum. Then called me back (caller ID) and said "I talked to my supplier and if I do an acid primer I can paint it with our paint. $2500 if all we have to do is mask, prime and paint". So I asked how much if you caulk and buff out some of the scratches. There reply..."well, um, your talk'n a lot of hours, um, maybe you should do that part".

Still waiting for one more guy that paints airplanes to get back to me.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:45 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
2008 22' Safari
tucker , Georgia
I used Maaco once for an old car where I did a lot of the sanding and prep work, it actually turned out pretty good. I found the guy that was going to do the work and gave him a case of beer and $100 and he did a few of the bondo spots in his free time before the official painting began. Just a thought! I wouldn't trust them to do the caulking- probably better to do that yourself and make sure its perfect.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:44 AM   #12
Formally 'tiger'

1974 Argosy 28
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
Ok, the guy that does airplanes wants $5K. Talked about striping the paint with something that would not harm aluminum OR using coco bean shells to blast it. Also will do all prep. He only needed me to take off the awning (bought a new one anyway). He will do all the caulking.
One problem. I won't have it back for 2 weeks. The problem, I'm not a patient man. However, I know it will look awesome when he's done. And I will have it in time for our trip to the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta.
I will post before and after when I get it home.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:51 PM   #13
Formally 'tiger'

1974 Argosy 28
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
need a new name

Wow I was in awe. Better than I expected.
Stripped all the old paint with an aircraft aluminum stripper.
Primed with a gray epoxy primer.
Coated with 08 Toyota Tundra metallic silver. Gloss black for banana wrap.
Airstream Blue on bottom rail (to match new rub rail insert).
Painted the Argosy logos blue.
Painted the rims metallic silver.
Toped off with 2 clear coats.
Now I need a new name.
"The Turd" (before pic) doesn't fit.
Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	before.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	346.5 KB
ID:	196048   Click image for larger version