Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2004, 08:25 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Clearcote, again?!!!!

Just Bought A 98 Excella In In Great Shape Except For The Finish. The Clear Is Coming Off. Some Places Where The Clear Came Off Are Still
Bright And Others Are Dull. Can I Use Somthing To Keep It From Getting Worse Or Should I Take It All Off And Polish? Also Am Confused About What Tow Vehicle To Buy, Ratings Are High Enough On
1/2 Ton Trucks But Am I Better Off With 3/4? Thanks
CACTUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 08:44 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
hey cactus!
everyear trailer life magazine publishes towing capacities for vehicles....that would be the best place to start...rather then brag about my own rig, you will be able to make your own determination..
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 08:44 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Purchase a couple of cans of Plasticoat, and touch up the spots.

You can strip and recoat the trailer, strip and polish, strip and polish and plasticoat, or strip and paint metallic silver.

The longest lasting and most cost effective choice is painting it metallic silver.

A once or so a year wax job, will assist the paint life to 20 years or more, depending on the kind of paint, the quality of the paint, and how the metal was prepaired for the paint.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 08:45 AM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by CACTUS
Just Bought A 98 Excella In In Great Shape Except For The Finish. The Clear Is Coming Off. Some Places Where The Clear Came Off Are Still
Bright And Others Are Dull. Can I Use Somthing To Keep It From Getting Worse Or Should I Take It All Off And Polish? Also Am Confused About What Tow Vehicle To Buy, Ratings Are High Enough On
1/2 Ton Trucks But Am I Better Off With 3/4? Thanks
Welcome Cactus. Use the search button and (enter towing) take a peek at some of the many posts regarding towing. I am sure that you'll find the info you are looking for.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 09:40 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Purchase a couple of cans of Plasticoat, and touch up the spots.

You can strip and recoat the trailer, strip and polish, strip and polish and plasticoat, or strip and paint metallic silver.

The longest lasting and most cost effective choice is painting it metallic silver.

A once or so a year wax job, will assist the paint life to 20 years or more, depending on the kind of paint, the quality of the paint, and how the metal was prepaired for the paint.

Andy
WHERE DO I BUY THIS PLASTICOAT?
CACTUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 02:14 PM   #6
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
Why not order it from Andy at Inland RV. Inland RV has a website. I've found Andy's service to be first rate and I appreciate his expertise here on the forum.

If not ordered from Inland, then check with either another Airstream dealership or with Airstream, Inc. From experience, I can tell you that not all Airstream dealerships carry Plasticoat. You'd think they would, but they don't.

You can get ploasticoat in aerosol cans as Andy pointed out. The finish will not be EXACTLY like that of the original finish on the surrounding panels, but it will be much better than doing nothing. Without the plasticoat, you will exerience corrosion that is very difficult to get off. By the way, use only the Airstream Plasticoat formulation. Plasticoat is NOT the same as clearcoat used in automotive applications. The expansion and contraction of the aluminum is much greater than that of steel and only the specially formulated plasticoat will stand up for any length of time.

GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 03:24 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by CACTUS
WHERE DO I BUY THIS PLASTICOAT?
I have to 'second' Inland RV. Call & talk to Andy, I think he wears an aluminum vest & an Airstream logo tie !!!
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote