Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2013, 10:04 AM   #1
Growing old but not up

1972 29' Ambassador
St. Louis , Missouri
Clearcoat removal

Starting the removal of the clearcoat on an 72' Ambassador and I was wondering how strong the PPG Aerospace Eldorado PR-5044 Peroxide-Activated Stripper is. I read that the Remove All that it replaced got into the plastic. Should I cover or remove the running lights and rear lighting to protect or can I just cover with the stripper and spray off later?
I am a newbie to Airstreams. This is my first restoration and I am looking forward to the challenge. I do know that this forum is THE best source of information related to an Airstream on the internet. So many people have shared their experiences and knowledge in such a friendly way that even though there is a mountain of work ahead of me I know that someone else has done this before. It makes it so much easier.
Thanks in advance,
Riskstl
riskstl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:20 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Actually, removing all the plastic parts like lights and trim will make a much better job of your final results, as there will be no clear coat under them, no line around them, and probably a 1972 needs new plastic running lights, lens covers on the tail and stop lights etc. anyway. When you put them back on, just use new ones, they are really inexpensive and make an old trailer pop. You also can seal the holes used for the wires better that way too, again making one more sealing job. Of course, if you are using a water spray to remove the remover, you need to be careful about any holes you have left open. Plug them up with screws for a temporary patch.

At least that is what I did when removing all the paint from an Argosy Minuet years ago. I turned it into a fake Airstream. It came out pretty well, considering my lack of understanding of things at that time.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:43 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
Aerospace Stripper

I have a nearly full gallon of the Aerospace stripper, if you would like to have it. I am done with stripping my '72 Trade Wind. I can't say that the Aerospace worked any better than any of the other strippers I used. Actually, I think Aircraft Paint Stripper worked the best of all.

I took all of my plastic off before stripping, as it will destroy those parts. I then replaced everything with brand new Led4RV running lights and reflectors, as well as scare light. Just got them hooked up to a basic 12v system last night. They look great!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0594.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	313.3 KB
ID:	195038  
arktos55343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by arktos55343 View Post
I have a nearly full gallon of the Aerospace stripper, if you would like to have it. I am done with stripping my '72 Trade Wind. I can't say that the Aerospace worked any better than any of the other strippers I used. Actually, I think Aircraft Paint Stripper worked the best of all.

I took all of my plastic off before stripping, as it will destroy those parts. I then replaced everything with brand new Led4RV running lights and reflectors, as well as scare light. Just got them hooked up to a basic 12v system last night. They look great!!
The pic above, is that stripped and polished, or just stripped?