Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2011, 11:06 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1994 25' Excella
Calgary , Alberta
Clearcoat

Does anyone the best way to remove clear coat from a 95 excella. It will be my project this year to become shiny
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 05:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
Peter...I have stripped the clearcoat on two Airstreams...a "60" and "78". Used Removal 220 on both. Have also tried more caustic products from automotive supply stores...Aircraft Stripper. The Removal 220 is the one to use in my book. It is biodegradable, easy to use (brush on, hose off). For awhile it was hard to find. I believe VTS is carrying it. If you use Removal 220, don't let it sit and dry out. I've found that it starts working right away and can be hosed off in an hour or so. Some have left it on overnight but I wouldn't advise that. You'll be amazed at the results, and your AS will look pretty good. But of course most of us can't stop there...polishing could be in your future as well.

Cheers....Bob
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 06:29 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
The older models clear coat has worn off in many cases. Ours had remnants of it around little places. So it was not that big of a deal to remove. Used a gel or semi paste form of stripper for paint from a hardware store that washes and cleans off with water and the right kind of liquid detergent. Walmart went 'GREEN' with most of their paint projects and I am here to tell you that they pretty much do not work like they should..For example a can of Lacquer Thinner I bought was featured as 'GREEN'..and the stuff does not work like it should- so save your money. As far as polishing- just watch out for Tennis elbow because I developed a nice case of it during a polishing session - and Tennos elbow is very hard to get rid of - and very hard to live with. Especially if it's in your right elbow.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:18 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Franklin , Ohio
Smile How do you plan to recoat AS after prepped.

I have the same problem with my 1995 30’ AS. I requested a quote to have trailer professionally striped and recoated talk about sticker shock.
The striping step from what I have read seams to be fairly easy.
What about getting the finish to match where the clear coat has pealed and aged?
How do you apply the new coating I assume some sort of spray gun?
Is this something you can do outside on a warm calm day?
Ditter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Above all - do not spray clear coat even on a clear day or you will have a large assortment of insects that ALSO think it's a nice day out, and will come and land in it. If you are not sure about what you are doing and with what- then go to a shop and start picking the owners brain about how they would go about it. Pay attention also to the 'make' of the aluminum skin , as the newer type does not polish up as the vintage aluminum does. If it looks like brushed metal, then it will remain that way. However on the other hand, with the alclad type aluminum on the vintage models, you can polish til your arms fall off and acquire the high polished mirror look.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:18 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
Carrollton , Texas
Stay away from any product containing methylene chloride. A proven killer.
Klean Strip comes to mind.
KL's 77 is offline   Reply With Quote